Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 03:03 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times

Advertisements

I have never seen this happen before. My Amazon package was scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. It was shipped by UPS SurePost from the Amazon warehouse in Fresno, CA. It would have been delivered to my Post Office today, and the USPS would deliver it tomorrow. That is the way it always works.

This morning I checked the tracking and noticed an interesting note on it. "10/02/2020 5:15 A.M. UPS will be in your area and will deliver your package a day early." and then "10/02/2020 9:20 A.M. Out For Delivery Today". I didn't really believe that was coming a day early. I knew it would be delivered to the Post Office today, and I would get it tomorrow. But to my surprise I got a knock on the door at 11AM and looked out to see the Brown UPS truck delivering my package. I checked it and sure enough it was the SurePost package being delivered by UPS instead of the USPS. It had the USPS tracking number that is always has on it. When I check that number it just says USPS Currently Awaiting Package.

Any way that was a pleasant surprise, and something I wished many times would happen. I hate waiting the extra day for SurePost packages to arrive. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had a SurePost package that wasn't delivered by the USPS. I wonder if UPS has an option to deliver it the last mile themselves instead of turning it over to the Post Office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 05:07 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I have never seen this happen before. My Amazon package was scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. It was shipped by UPS SurePost from the Amazon warehouse in Fresno, CA. It would have been delivered to my Post Office today, and the USPS would deliver it tomorrow. That is the way it always works.

This morning I checked the tracking and noticed an interesting note on it. "10/02/2020 5:15 A.M. UPS will be in your area and will deliver your package a day early." and then "10/02/2020 9:20 A.M. Out For Delivery Today". I didn't really believe that was coming a day early. I knew it would be delivered to the Post Office today, and I would get it tomorrow. But to my surprise I got a knock on the door at 11AM and looked out to see the Brown UPS truck delivering my package. I checked it and sure enough it was the SurePost package being delivered by UPS instead of the USPS. It had the USPS tracking number that is always has on it. When I check that number it just says USPS Currently Awaiting Package.

Any way that was a pleasant surprise, and something I wished many times would happen. I hate waiting the extra day for SurePost packages to arrive. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had a SurePost package that wasn't delivered by the USPS. I wonder if UPS has an option to deliver it the last mile themselves instead of turning it over to the Post Office.
Odd that Amazon is still using UPS SurePost in your area considering their long-term One-Day Prime shipping goal; I guess not all metro areas are equal. Are you Prime or not?

But yes, UPS themselves will deliver SurePost packages if there is a scheduled UPS delivery in your area. For a fee you can also upgrade UPS SurePost packages to Ground with a UPS My Choice membership (unlimited upgrades are available with a UPS My Choice Premium membership).

EDIT: Also, any SurePost package over 10 pounds, over 3 cubic feet, or being delivered to a commercial address will automatically be delivered by UPS instead of USPS.

Note that this does not extend to UPS' other partnership with the USPS, UPS Mail Innovations (UPS-MI) since it operates on an entirely separate network. SurePost, on the other hand, operates on the regular UPS Ground network.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 10-02-2020 at 05:21 PM..

Old 10-02-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Odd that Amazon is still using UPS SurePost in your area considering their long-term One-Day shipping goal; I guess not all metro areas are equal.

But yes, UPS themselves will deliver SurePost packages if there is a scheduled UPS delivery in your area. For a fee you can also upgrade UPS SurePost packages to Ground with a UPS My Choice membership (unlimited upgrades are available with a UPS My Choice Premium membership).
Thanks for that information. I think that's what happened. They probably just had another delivery in the area.

My Amazon orders don't usually come by SurePost. This was part of a four item order. The first two items were delivered direct by Amazon to my local post office from Portland. The third item came from San Bernardino to Portland, and was delivered to my local post office by Amazon. Then this last item came from Fresno by UPS.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that information. I think that's what happened. They probably just had another delivery in the area.

My Amazon orders don't usually come by SurePost. This was part of a four item order. The first two items were delivered direct by Amazon to my local post office from Portland. The third item came from San Bernardino to Portland, and was delivered to my local post office by Amazon. Then this last item came from Fresno by UPS.
I noticed last night that the UPS woman had also left a package delivery attempt notice on my neighbor's door. So I think that pretty much verifies it. I wonder if UPS gets the extra fee that would have gone to the USPS.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:00 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I don't know how it's delivered, but almost every time my order gets to my POBox a day early than scheduled. POBox is my delivery address (not my physical address) to make sure that the parcel doesn't get stolen from my front porch.
Regular free delivery, not an Amazon Prime.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't know how it's delivered, but almost every time my order gets to my POBox a day early than scheduled. POBox is my delivery address (not my physical address) to make sure that the parcel doesn't get stolen from my front porch.
Only USPS can deliver to P.O. Boxes unless you sign up for P.O. Box Street Addressing. In the case of SurePost it would be delivered by the USPS.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:04 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I really don't care who is delivering, as long it's delivered to a right address and on time.
Wouldn't ponder on that.
Yes, it's delivered to the post office physical address. I have very small mailbox. Didn't sign up for anything. Just gave them PO physical address as the destination.

Old 10-03-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I really don't care who is delivering, as long it's delivered to a right address and on time.
Wouldn't ponder on that.
Yes, it's delivered to the post office physical address. I have very small mailbox. Didn't sign up for anything. Just gave them PO physical address as the destination.
In your case, since UPS likely has daily dropoffs to the post office to hand off packages to the USPS for residential SurePost deliveries, they might as well deliver it themselves to the P.O., since an additional sort by the USPS to be delivered the next day would be redundant.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:42 PM

2,450 posts, read 972,524 times
Quote:
I noticed last night that the UPS woman had also left a package delivery attempt notice on my neighbor's door. So I think that pretty much verifies it. I wonder if UPS gets the extra fee that would have gone to the USPS.
Surepost is supposed to be very cheap. That's why many vendors can offer free shipping on their items. UPS picks it up and ships it to the final city, drops it off at a Post Office and they sort it and ship it to it's final destination.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
Surepost is supposed to be very cheap. That's why many vendors can offer free shipping on their items. UPS picks it up and ships it to the final city, drops it off at a Post Office and they sort it and ship it to it's final destination.
It's cheap, but it's still a terrible delivery method, because it delays the item, at least one day while it gets handed over to the USPS, unless UPS decides to deliver it themselves. Fortunately these days most of my stuff is delivered directly by Amazon to my local post office. Amazon is the only one that gets it right. Their trucks roll out of the Amazon warehouse at about 2AM, they drop it at my local post office about 6AM. By 8AM the post office has it out for delivery. So I get it sometimes in as little as one day, and I don't even have Amazon Prime.

On a different subject, I have noticed that USPS tracking is becoming a complete joke. The software doesn't even update correctly. This is one that I had yesterday. "Expected Delivery by SATURDAY 10 OCTOBER 2020 between 10:00am and 2:00pm. Status Out for Delivery October 9, 2020 at 8:36am". Obviously it was not going to be out for delivery for 26 hours. I got it Friday between 10:00am and 2:00pm, not Saturday. The expected delivery part is meaningless. But if somebody looked only at the large Expected Delivery part, they would think it wasn't going to come that day.

I used to check tracking about 3AM or even earlier, and I could get a pretty good idea of if I was going to get the item that day, or not. Now I don't even bother to check it until about 9AM. If it doesn't say Out for Delivery, I don't expect it. Even then once in a while, it doesn't get delivered. It just stays on Out for Delivery status until night, then it changes to Delayed. I've seen that happen with both USPS and UPS.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products