Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 08:02 AM

345 posts, read 444,816 times

Advertisements

The main grocery stores I shop at are Publix, Winn Dixie, and Walmart. I have not seen those stores stock Puffed wheat, or Puffed Kumat in a long time. I remember buying those cereals in large bags and it was super cheap. The only puffed cereals I see are coated with sugar. So my only option is Amazon which is expensive. Maybe I should check some health stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 08:26 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,192 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGpS6LHeBC0

Yea try health food store. Health food stores arent cheap. Maybe Amazon??? Yea sounds insane to order breakfast cereal mail order. But if they are cheapest place to get what you want....

Old 10-03-2020, 09:18 AM

Back in Jan 21 2020 I bought 12 packs of puffed Kamut 6oz for 22.56 from Amazon. Thought it was a good price. The price today is 30.07 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 10-03-2020, 09:44 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
I've never heard of puffed kumat before, so it it might be a niche product that major grocery stores don't find profitable to carry. Whole Foods, the internet and health food stores are going to be your best bet.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:52 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Since most brands PAY slotting fees for their shelf space, brands that sell a lot of product are the ones that get the space. Products that don't sell well are discontinued. These days, you find many of those products on Amazon.

There is very little demand for puffer cereals. It is stuff that my grandparents would eat.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:40 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've never heard of puffed kumat before, so it it might be a niche product that major grocery stores don't find profitable to carry. Whole Foods, the internet and health food stores are going to be your best bet.

I had to look. Tiger500 got it right, it's kamut, not kumat.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Sorry I meant to type Kamut.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:57 AM

Ok, I think most of the generic in a bag puffed cereal was by Malt O Meal. It seems gone. Thats the rEason only high priced stuff is Arrowhead Mills is only big producer and its always been expensive. Still get Kelloggs Rice Krispies I guess. Aldis has their storebrand Millville puffed rice much like Rice Krispies. They have puffed corn too but its got sugar, not coated in it, but sugar in ingredients.

And yea the candied cereals apparently sell better. You pretty much have to move to cooking own porridge to get away from the sugar entirely. Or buy from somebody like Arrowhead Mills via health food store. Even supposedly "heart healthy" cheerios have some sugar. Just less sugar than the candy in a box kids cereals that have more sugar and artificial flavorings than they do grain.

Here is article commenting on unavailability of big generic bags puffed wheat: https://carolhenders.blogspot.com/20...fed-wheat.html

Course she used it as an ingredient in some cookie/cake using puffed wheat much like the more widely known Rice Krispie squares.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:06 AM

Its not puffed and nothing to do with original question. Will point out I used to cook rolled oats and frankly they needed a boat load sugar to choke down... UNTIL....

I discovered adding some dehydrated burdock rook when cooking the oatmeal. Yea, for whatever reason, the two truly go very well together and I could happily eat the oatmeal without any added sugar or honey or other sweetener. Just heads up if your are on quest for cheap no sugar cereal. I personally like buckwheat porridge too, without any sugar. Cant really eat any grain anymore due to diabetes and keeping low carb, so cant eat either of those anymore.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Ok, I think most of the generic in a bag puffed cereal was by Malt O Meal. It seems gone. Thats the rEason only high priced stuff is Arrowhead Mills is only big producer and its always been expensive. Still get Kelloggs Rice Krispies I guess. Aldis has their storebrand Millville puffed rice much like Rice Krispies. They have puffed corn too but its got sugar, not coated in it, but sugar in ingredients.

And yea the candied cereals apparently sell better. You pretty much have to move to cooking own porridge to get away from the sugar entirely. Or buy from somebody like Arrowhead Mills via health food store. Even supposedly "heart healthy" cheerios have some sugar. Just less sugar than the candy in a box kids cereals that have more sugar and artificial flavorings than they do grain.

Here is article commenting on unavailability of big generic bags puffed wheat: https://carolhenders.blogspot.com/20...fed-wheat.html

Course she used it as an ingredient in some cookie/cake using puffed wheat much like the more widely known Rice Krispie squares.
Thanks for your contribution. I found this amusing article on the Quaker Oats company has stopped puffing.

https://maefood.blogspot.com/2019/04...s-stopped.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products