Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 09:26 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times

Advertisements

I've had zero delivery fails from Amazon in the 11 years I've been a prime member. I'm signed up for text alerts so I know when it's been picked up by a driver and when it's been dropped at my doorstep. I've purchased a very small number of things I wasn't happy with for one reason or another and have had no issues returning and getting a refund.

I have had a couple of issues with deliveries from other companies that use the post office to deliver - Macy's, Bed Bath and Beyond and Swanson vitamins. The company was quick to respond with a replacement or refund in those cases.

I try to shop local when I can but the stores here have such low inventory right now that I'm not willing to risk having to go to multiple stores to look for what I want when it's a done deal with a few clicks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 01:10 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelletti View Post
If 40% of online orders went missing then Amazon would not exist. eCommerce would be dead if it was anywhere near that level.

Agreed.

OP - can you post a link to this stat?

Old 10-21-2020, 02:38 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Every piece that is delayed is considered a failure in the USPS. When pre COVID staffing and truck resources couldn't match the Christmas level surges we had failure after failure and as a very large shipper I can see that spiking the numbers but have not tried any Google Fu, just my own eyes to confirm it. At the post pandemic half staff levels dues to the high risk and young parents sitting at home as the quickly passed COVID laws came into effect everything was failed.
Yes but those delays only lasted about a month and were expected after a week or 2. I know I ordered things from Target back in April, which normally would be 2 day shipping, but was given an arrival date that was 10 days out. Companies adjusted for the increase in demand and the shipping delays.

And considering the OP hasn't ordered a single thing online since before March, I don't think her claims have anything to do with COVID.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:29 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
Due to being a high-risk household for Covid I've been ordering online regularly. I almost never shop in stores.

I've ordered things online over 100 times this year. One time the wrong item came. They quick refunded me.
One time the item was delivered to the another unit in our complex. I could not find it. I was shipped a replacement.
Our complex can be confusing but Amazon and the major shippers figure it out.
Since I am usually home when things get delivered theft isn't really a concern.

So that would make my failure rate 2 percent.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:23 PM

836 posts, read 1,777,615 times
Over the years I've been using Amazon more and more... It's just so convenient!!

Lately, especially since COVID, I've been getting nearly ALL of my non-perishable items from Amazon! (If I had lived anywhere but Alaska, for Amazon Pantry to be available, I'd probably order majority of my food there, too! Also envy the other states for much quicker delivery (in some places, within an hour is possible!!)

Anyway, so I am really puzzled about the stated 10-40% failure rate... NO WAY it can be that high!!
Unless maybe mostly ordering straight from China vendors on eBay, and all sorts of shady ads on Facebook? (When I see some novelty item that I like there on Facebook - I just open Amazon, type the name of the product, and it's pretty much always available there! With much better guarantees!)

I think in OP's case it might be mostly the "wrong area" (where things are likely to get stolen a lot, even by roommates!) And maybe buying from small sellers?

Old 10-21-2020, 09:59 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
Over the years I've been using Amazon more and more... It's just so convenient!!

Lately, especially since COVID, I've been getting nearly ALL of my non-perishable items from Amazon! (If I had lived anywhere but Alaska, for Amazon Pantry to be available, I'd probably order majority of my food there, too! Also envy the other states for much quicker delivery (in some places, within an hour is possible!!)

Anyway, so I am really puzzled about the stated 10-40% failure rate... NO WAY it can be that high!!
Unless maybe mostly ordering straight from China vendors on eBay, and all sorts of shady ads on Facebook? (When I see some novelty item that I like there on Facebook - I just open Amazon, type the name of the product, and it's pretty much always available there! With much better guarantees!)

I think in OP's case it might be mostly the "wrong area" (where things are likely to get stolen a lot, even by roommates!) And maybe buying from small sellers?
It depends upon who is reporting the failure. I "failed" 38 pieces today on the second route that I was working since I ran out of time after being out for 13 hours and 8:00 PM arrived without them being delivered.

While I am okay because I reported the task was impossible when loading and they have a GPS track on me the boss is going to hear it and then I will hear it tomorrow, my theoretical day off when I will be expected to put in 12 more hours. I guess I could have fewer failures if I left the large items behind and just worked on the more numerous smaller pieces. But then there is no room in the station for the fewer large pieces if they come back as "failed"

Old 10-21-2020, 10:00 PM

550 posts, read 364,043 times
If I order a hard to find or bulky heavy item from a 3rd party from Amazon or EBay, I look for high user ratings above 90-95% in the last 30 or 90 days. The bar is higher if seller in a high risk area such as New York City or Miami. Plus Amazon more recently in the seller profile posts the real company name and street address so can do a search at BBB and other review websites.

Also with both they will back you with guaranteed reimbursement if try to work things out online and seller fails to respond timely or satisfactory. In addition, there is credit card chargeback you can initiate. Discover is good to allow you to upload documentation. In over a decade, only have had to use these strategies once with Amazon and once with EBay.

Good luck finding Lysol online without a 3rd party seller.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:12 PM

Going over each point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
1) drivers can lie or misrepresent delivery by marking something as delivered
I haven't had that particular experience (why would they do that? To take the package for themselves? But if too many complaints will come up for "delivered" but missing packaged, I'd think those drivers would be out of a job!
The only time I had a somewhat similar experience when the item showed as "delivered" but showed in another state, was the case when the item was transferred between carriers (if I remember correctly). So it was "delivered" to their warehouse first, and showed that... And then to me, a couple days later!
Quote:
2) items can be lost en route due to various logistical mishaps
I am sure they can be, but in my experience it seems pretty rare! (Lived in 3 states and ordered... hundreds, if not thosands, things over time! )
Quote:
3) warehouse workers can screw addresses up
Buying from Amazon or other big companies, you get your address entered once and stored, so they just will need to print out stickers and put on a corresponding box.. not much room for mistake, I don't think?
Still, if it happens and a package goes missing, Amazon will refund!
Quote:
4) items can be stolen from one’s porch
Hard to do something about that one... Is it possible to install cameras, as deterrent?
Quote:
5) a roommate can steal or misplace your item
Wow, no words on that one!.. Must be hard to live with roommates like that! (But then, see #6)
Quote:
6) you can get sick of sitting around all day for an 8-hour delivery window and venture out, only to miss a delivery
How about having things delivered at work, then?(I know lots of people do that!) Since leaving packages at the door does not seem like a good idea in your case! And it seems to be the solution to #4, #5 and #6!

Old 10-21-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
It depends upon who is reporting the failure. I "failed" 38 pieces today on the second route that I was working since I ran out of time after being out for 13 hours and 8:00 PM arrived without them being delivered.

While I am okay because I reported the task was impossible when loading and they have a GPS track on me the boss is going to hear it and then I will hear it tomorrow, my theoretical day off when I will be expected to put in 12 more hours. I guess I could have fewer failures if I left the large items behind and just worked on the more numerous smaller pieces. But then there is no room in the station for the fewer large pieces if they come back as "failed"
I think your situation is just fine and does not apply in OP's case, because "your" packages will simply be late, but not falsely reported as "delivered" (which was one of his worries!)

After all, there are only so many hours in the day, and no one is really going to be mad over small delays, especially nowadays!

And THANK YOU from all of us for doing this work!!!!

(I feel quilty sometimes for the delivery driver having to bring me various packages, and a couple of times left a chocolate bar for him/her in the mailbox, with a "thank-you" note and a little disinfecting wipe packet attached... do you think that was a good idea??)

Old 10-21-2020, 10:20 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
Going over each point:I haven't had that particular experience (why would they do that? To take the package for themselves? But if too many complaints will come up for "delivered" but missing packaged, I'd think those drivers would be out of a job!
The only time I had a somewhat similar experience when the item showed as "delivered" but showed in another state, was the case when the item was transferred between carriers (if I remember correctly). So it was "delivered" to their warehouse first, and showed that... And then to me, a couple days later!
I am sure they can be, but in my experience it seems pretty rare! (Lived in 3 states and ordered... hundreds, if not thosands, things over time! ) Buying from Amazon or other big companies, you get your address entered once and stored, so they just will need to print out stickers and put on a corresponding box.. not much room for mistake, I don't think?
Still, if it happens and a package goes missing, Amazon will refund! Hard to do something about that one... Is it possible to install cameras, as deterrent? Wow, no words on that one!.. Must be hard to live with roommates like that! (But then, see #6) How about having things delivered at work, then?(I know lots of people do that!) Since leaving packages at the door does not seem like a good idea in your case! And it seems to be the solution to #4, #5 and #6!
The falsification stop the clock scan is done so the unit won't be charged with a failure. And the higher level boss won't start the stuff rolling downhill.

It is simple, the late or missing scan will be caught. The falsified "stop the clock" scan only might get caught and human nature takes its course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products