Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 04:59 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Your coffee to water ratio is 1/2 of what I use (4 tablespoons to 8 oz water). Your coffee would be weak compared to mine, not only in caffeine content, but more importantly in flavor.

I experimented for a long time to find what works for me, obviously that's not what everyone else might like.
Right! I think your last sentence is the key! "Flavor" depends on blending, brand of beans etc, and individual taste! What works for you....works for you......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 05:04 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,955,356 times
My Keurigs lasted about a single year, religiously. I went through 3 of them -- 2 at home and 1 at work. Never got more than 13 months out of any of the 3. In fact, Keurig makes 2 separate lines. Crappy ones for retail use that go on the fritz after a year, and really well made ones for commercial use that they rent out to businesses. The rental one for our office lasted a long time. You can't purchase the rental ones.

My current Cuisinart single-cup coffee maker has lasted years and years. I bought it at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Here is a link to the current version like the one I have. My exact model is no longer in production.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...t-coffee-maker

Good luck. I love my Cuisinart. Never plugs. Never fails. Just keeps going, like the Energizer bunny. I want to say it is between 4 and 5 years old. If it dies after 5 years of constant use and constantly being on, I will call that a stellar deal, after all my Keurig's died within 13 months. Anything beyond 5 years will be just gravy. I even have a replacement waiting in the wings that I bought 3 years ago, but just have never needed to unbox it yet since the original just keeps going.

Disclaimer: I do use a mix of 2/3 bottled drinking water to 1/3 tap water in the reservoir, to guard against scaling due to hard water. Not distilled, just bottled drinking water. So far so good.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 11-14-2020 at 05:48 AM..

Old 11-14-2020, 05:11 AM

Quote:
I use a French Press every morning to make one 8 ounce cup of coffee. I grind beans with a good burr grinder and do enough to last me about 10 days so I don't have to do it very often. I use four tablespoons of coarse ground coffee.

It takes 2:30 to heat the water to 200 degrees in the microwave and 4:00 to brew the coffee.

Bodum French Press: https://www.bodum.com/us/en/1924-16us4-chambord

$22 and it will last a very long time (unless you break the glass beaker). I've tried lots of coffee makers, none make coffee that tastes as good as a French Press.
I hate French Press coffee with a passion. I love my coffee scalding hot. By the time the French Press brews coffee, it is already getting cold. Many people love them but I hate them for that reason. Whenever my mother makes coffee in a French Press, I have to preheat a mug full of water to boiling in the microwave, and dump it right before filling from the French Press so the heat from the mug warms the luke-warm coffee from the French Press. Still, the 2nd cup will be cold by the time I get to it.

I am baffled how people get a hot cup of coffee from a French Press.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 11-14-2020 at 05:49 AM..

Old 11-14-2020, 05:18 AM

I stand corrected. You can buy commercial grade Keurig coffee makers that last years. These also have a "strong" button whereby the flow slows down to extract more coffee from the cup. Keurig K-2500 at $489. Prices go up from there. You get what you pay for. Or overpay for if it comes from Germany.

https://commercial.keurig.com/p/Keur...lor?text=k2500

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 11-14-2020 at 05:50 AM..

Old 11-14-2020, 11:53 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,424,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiredone View Post
It seems like once a year I am replacing them. I have used Keurig and replaced them less than 6 months or some lasted longer. This one I have is a Hamilton Beach. I really did like it until it would not even brew a cup, more like a 1/4 or less of an inch of a brew. It is not my circuit breaker that did it nor the needle needing cleaning, it just plainly quit working. I tried numerous of times and it just won't work. Does anyone else ever have that problem? Not sure what to get since there isn't much of a choice and Keurig is overtaking the marketplaces wherever I shop (not online).
For one cup when we travel in our RV I use one of those Melitta one cup that sit on top of a coffee cup and use the #2 filters. Makes a pretty ok cup of coffee about equal to my 12 cup coffee maker. Use the microwave to heat the water to boiling and then just pour it into the filter letting it drip. Trick is to learn the amount of coffee to use for the size of the cup. In a standard to go size cup I use 1 1/2 scoops.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:30 PM

421 posts, read 280,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
A year ago I bought a "sboly" at the time it was $35. Looks like they have gone up in price to $59

https://www.amazon.com/Sboly-Thermal...d_asin_0_title

I love it. Still makes "hot" coffee. I like that it comes with a basket that I can use my own coffee ground beans.

I prefer French Press on my days when I am not working. The Sboly is a time saver when I have to get up super early on work days.

My son bought me one of those for Christmas a few years ago. I like making lattes with the espresso pods. The regular coffee--I find way too strong for me.

I was looking on that on Amazon recently. It sounds similar to my Hamilton Beach Flex that went out. I asked a question on there but not one person answered. There was a similar machine and I did not know the difference of them and asked. Just a $10 difference in them too. Where is it made?

Old 11-14-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Mine is a drip one cup coffee maker. I also have reflux. What I have found as a solution is to use alkaline water to brew and I buy 3 types of whole beans to blend my own mix and grind just before brewing. I use 1 cup Blonde Roast, 1/2 cup Medium Roast and 1/4 cup dark roast to make the bean mix then grind 4 tablespoons of that to make a 16oz mug! Works for me! I only have 1 cup/day

Never thought of using Alkaline Water. I use to drink it but no more. Having a variety of beans sounds like a good idea. I do like a medium dark. Light roast is too light sometimes and so is medium.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Your coffee to water ratio is 1/2 of what I use (4 tablespoons to 8 oz water). Your coffee would be weak compared to mine, not only in caffeine content, but more importantly in flavor.

I experimented for a long time to find what works for me, obviously that's not what everyone else might like.
Quote:
How did you make the cup of coffee with the ground Allegro? Did you get a French Press?

It doesn't matter how good the coffee beans are if you don't use a good method to make the coffee. Most methods don't get the water hot enough (195-205 degrees F), or brew for the proper amount of time (4 minutes in a French Press). I tried pour over vs French Press, no comparison, French Press wins hands down.

My ex-wife's brother is in the coffee business: https://firepower.coffee/

Click on the "About Our Coffee" link to read how to make a great cup of coffee.

He told me about the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA). Here's a list of certified home brewers: https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

The problem with those is they aren't one cup coffee makers. I tried the Technivorm One Cup - it sucked, I returned it.

I learned a lot from another guy who also owned a coffee roasting company, he used the French Press method to evaluate his coffees (cupping).

https://www.baristainstitute.com/ins...coffee-cupping

Your coffee sounds awful strong. I doubt I could handle it. Sounds like an expresso. Why not drink or make expressos instead and maybe you would not need that much coffee?

I got a Vienna coffee in the Allergo brand. I think I used too much water when I made it the first time. I used 2 scoops of coffee + 1 bottle water (16.9 oz.) I made some earlier and measured the water in the pot for 2 cups and used 2 scoops. It was a little better not much. Last week I went to a Swedish restaurant and they have a good cup of coffee. It is very smooth and bold tasting. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
The problem with those is they aren't one cup coffee makers. I tried the Technivorm One Cup - it sucked, I returned it.

What is wrong with it? It is quite the look of art and should make a good cup.

Old 11-14-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
My Keurigs lasted about a single year, religiously. I went through 3 of them -- 2 at home and 1 at work. Never got more than 13 months out of any of the 3. In fact, Keurig makes 2 separate lines. Crappy ones for retail use that go on the fritz after a year, and really well made ones for commercial use that they rent out to businesses. The rental one for our office lasted a long time. You can't purchase the rental ones.

My current Cuisinart single-cup coffee maker has lasted years and years. I bought it at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Here is a link to the current version like the one I have. My exact model is no longer in production.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...t-coffee-maker

Good luck. I love my Cuisinart. Never plugs. Never fails. Just keeps going, like the Energizer bunny. I want to say it is between 4 and 5 years old. If it dies after 5 years of constant use and constantly being on, I will call that a stellar deal, after all my Keurig's died within 13 months. Anything beyond 5 years will be just gravy. I even have a replacement waiting in the wings that I bought 3 years ago, but just have never needed to unbox it yet since the original just keeps going.

Disclaimer: I do use a mix of 2/3 bottled drinking water to 1/3 tap water in the reservoir, to guard against scaling due to hard water. Not distilled, just bottled drinking water. So far so good.

I was getting my Keurig machines from BBB. They use to have a policy you could return so I did that a lot. And I would get the model that made 3 different sizes of cups, and not just a basic one. I did not know that they made different lines. My neighbor told me he has a Cuisinart drip that he's had for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products