Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 02:04 PM

422 posts, read 282,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I stand corrected. You can buy commercial grade Keurig coffee makers that last years. These also have a "strong" button whereby the flow slows down to extract more coffee from the cup. Keurig K-2500 at $489. Prices go up from there. You get what you pay for. Or overpay for if it comes from Germany.

https://commercial.keurig.com/p/Keur...lor?text=k2500

I did read that the Keurig machines were sold to a company in Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 03:59 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiredone View Post
I really doubt they sell warranties for coffee makers under $100. Now if I would buy a $500 coffee maker I am sure they do, but I am not about to spend that much on a coffee maker.
They do sell warranties for $100 coffee makers. I just bought a $30 waffle maker at Target and was offered a warranty on it.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:02 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
They do sell warranties for $100 coffee makers. I just bought a $30 waffle maker at Target and was offered a warranty on it.

Yes, they sell warranties on all kinds of appliances. I was offered one on my $10 toaster from Walmarts. I always get them if the item is $20 or more. Just a few months ago, my dustbuster broke down, took it back & got a brand new one because of the warranty. I also got a new warranty on the new hand-vac/Dustbuster

Old 11-14-2020, 05:12 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,710,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I hate French Press coffee with a passion. I love my coffee scalding hot. By the time the French Press brews coffee, it is already getting cold. Many people love them but I hate them for that reason. Whenever my mother makes coffee in a French Press, I have to preheat a mug full of water to boiling in the microwave, and dump it right before filling from the French Press so the heat from the mug warms the luke-warm coffee from the French Press. Still, the 2nd cup will be cold by the time I get to it. I am baffled how people get a hot cup of coffee from a French Press.
Recommended brewing temp is 195-205 degrees. I start at 200 degrees and in four minutes the coffee is hot enough for me.

Most coffee makers don't get the water hot enough (not even close to 195). If you use boiling water (212) degrees, it ruins the coffee.

Use the French Press to make as much as you want and pour it in a thermal carafe so it stays hot. You can't leave the leftover coffee in the French Press, it continues to extract and gets bitter (and cold).

Maybe your mother doesn't start with hot enough water. I use a Thermapen MK 4 so I know the exact temperature of the water I'm using. Consistency is key to getting the same results every time. https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermape...ity=1&color=16

Brew in the French Press and follow the directions. If it's not hot enough for you, put the cup in a microwave to get it "scalding hot" if that's what you want. How do you make a cup of "scalding hot" coffee?

Last edited by movin1; 11-14-2020 at 05:38 PM..

Old 11-15-2020, 01:13 PM

24,467 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiredone View Post
I did read that the Keurig machines were sold to a company in Germany.
Keurig is owned by Dr Pepper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keurig_Dr_Pepper

Old 11-16-2020, 02:55 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
For one cup when we travel in our RV I use one of those Melitta one cup that sit on top of a coffee cup and use the #2 filters. Makes a pretty ok cup of coffee about equal to my 12 cup coffee maker. Use the microwave to heat the water to boiling and then just pour it into the filter letting it drip. Trick is to learn the amount of coffee to use for the size of the cup. In a standard to go size cup I use 1 1/2 scoops.
That's the pour-over coffee maker. I have two; one is the Melitta, which uses paper filters, and the other one I have is a stainless steel pour-over that doesn't require filters. I switched to this method about a year ago and like it for ease of use (and no more coffee pods). The pour-overs are really easy to clean as well, which is one reason why I prefer them to a French press. I still have an electric one-cup coffee maker that has the option of using pods, as well as an option of filling a reusable pod so you can use your own coffee....but I very rarely use the electric maker any more. I love pour-overs!

Old 11-16-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post

Thanks. I did look it up and there was people that owned it that were German at one time.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
The problem with those is they aren't one cup coffee makers. I tried the Technivorm One Cup - it sucked, I returned it.

What was wrong with it? I was talking today with someone who has the glass carafe and hers has lasted 8 years. I am surprised that a coffee maker lasts that long. Do those high end brands last longer than the others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products