Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 12:50 PM

242 posts, read 1,002,211 times

Advertisements

Christmas is around the corner, so of course many people will be shopping online & offline.

In the past, purchased something from for my Mom as a surprise gift from BestBuy online, well... When she received it she knew what it was before opening the box because it was shown on the outside of the shipping box. I WAS SO PISSED!!

Don't want that to happen ever again! It was shipped in the manufacturer box.

So do Amazon ship products in boxes not displaying what's inside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 01:56 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWest View Post
Christmas is around the corner, so of course many people will be shopping online & offline.

In the past, purchased something from for my Mom as a surprise gift from BestBuy online, well... When she received it she knew what it was before opening the box because it was shown on the outside of the shipping box. I WAS SO PISSED!!

Don't want that to happen ever again! It was shipped in the manufacturer box.

So do Amazon ship products in boxes not displaying what's inside?
If I remember correctly, it's an option when you check out with Amazon. I have never used it, so I don't know if there is an additional charge.

Old 12-11-2020, 02:59 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
If shipped by Amazon, as karlsch stated, they usually will note that the packaging shows what is inside and offer the option of shipping in plain Amazon box. You can also pick (if an available option for that item) to have it gift bagged (dazzling cloth type material with ribbon closure, not just paper) so they still won't know what it is even if they open the box.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If shipped by Amazon, as karlsch stated, they usually will note that the packaging shows what is inside and offer the option of shipping in plain Amazon box. You can also pick (if an available option for that item) to have it gift bagged (dazzling cloth type material with ribbon closure, not just paper) so they still won't know what it is even if they open the box.
Yes, and you also use the plain box option if it's expensive and you may not be home. You don't want a big box with a picture of a chain saw, pressure washer, or generator on the porch.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:49 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,003,936 times
All the packages we have received from Amazon have been in a Amazon box or a unmarked box. Nothing to identify what’s in the box.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:34 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times
I got plenty of things shipped to me in the original box. Anyone could see what’s inside.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:40 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
All the packages we have received from Amazon have been in a Amazon box or a unmarked box. Nothing to identify what’s in the box.
Same here - I've never ordered anything huge from them but the items I do order just come in an Amazon box. I know there is an option to check when ordering about it being a gift - maybe that would make a difference?

Old 12-20-2020, 05:58 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
If I remember correctly, it's an option when you check out with Amazon. I have never used it, so I don't know if there is an additional charge.
There is no additional charge if the option is available on the payment screen. If there is no option for large items, then there is no large enough box, even with packaging, that will survive shipping, Thus the label is placed on the manufacturers box.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:33 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
I order stuff from Amazon all the time. It always comes in an Amazon box not indicating what's inside.'

However, this might be a distinction between ordering from Amazon Prime (which I always do) and ordering from an "Amazon dealer." Amazon Prime items (I think) always come from Amazon's own shipping department.

Amazon dealers likely ship themselves and may purchase Amazon shipping materials...or not. Checking the box for anonymous container may make the difference with Amazon dealers that do their own shipping.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:48 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
It depends on the size of the item OR if the outer container is designed for shipping as well. Not all outer packaging is suitable for shipping so Amazon will always use their own boxes for those. If the outer packaging is designed for shipping AND the size of the box itself meets their shipping dimension standards, they may use the item's own package. In all cases, they tell you in advance if the packaging will reveal what's in the box and give you the option of shipping in a plain box. Even if it does reveal the contents, they may still use their own box. Over a certain size and weight, they require the package box to be shipping acceptable. You see this clearly with large appliances, TV's, building material, business-industrial supplies, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products