Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2020, 09:04 AM

743 posts, read 875,431 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased an item on eBay. The item was a vintage collectible and as a bonus, another item of the same manufacturer was added as "free". I didn't have either one in my collection so it was a great deal.

This is what I think happened: the seller misjudged the shipping(USPS PM) so they crammed the items in a USPS Flat rate box. The box was too small for the 2 items to be properly wrapped to avoid damage. There was only a layer of thin bubble wrap on the top and bottom of the item. So when I took out the bowl, it had major damage to the side and rim. The bonus item was inside the bowl and is undamaged.

I asked the seller to refund my purchase. The seller wants me to send the "bonus" item back because she had a couple of offers on it and it is rare. As a collector obviously I want to keep the bonus item and I responded that returning it wasn't an option. I thought that she would then respond with an offer of resolution. She hasn't.

I want to be fair and I thought about offering to cover the shipping, but get a refund for the bowl that was damaged since that is what I paid for. The bonus item was free, so paying for the shipping would be a fair compromise.

Bottom line: I don't feel it would be fair for me to have to go through the hassle of shipping the free item back to the seller when all of this could've been avoided had she shipped it in the correct box with the right packaging in the first place. She just wants the free item back to minimize her loss.

If I wait for eBay to step in, what will they do? Will I still have to send everything back to get my refund? Or will the free item be free and I can keep it? I have to throw the bowl away because it is unusable. It would be a different situation if I actually paid for both items for one price, but I only paid for the bowl. I am willing to pay the seller something, but it's really not my fault that she cheaped out on the shipping and didn't pack it properly.

I was thinking about doing a credit card charge back to just be done with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 11:49 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,173 times
Were there strings attached to that free item (e.g. free if you ________ (fill in the blank)).

If not, then chargeback. You ordered an item to be shipped to you in one piece. It came in more than one piece. They haven't fulfilled their end of the bargain. Simple as that. Has nothing to do with her loss...it's on the seller to either hand-deliver the item or pack it properly or take out insurance for the item if it's expensive.

They can explain to your card issuer why they didn't bother to insure the item or pack it properly.

Old 12-14-2020, 02:59 PM

743 posts, read 875,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Were there strings attached to that free item (e.g. free if you ________ (fill in the blank)).

If not, then chargeback. You ordered an item to be shipped to you in one piece. It came in more than one piece. They haven't fulfilled their end of the bargain. Simple as that. Has nothing to do with her loss...it's on the seller to either hand-deliver the item or pack it properly or take out insurance for the item if it's expensive.

They can explain to your card issuer why they didn't bother to insure the item or pack it properly.
There were no strings attached for the free item. I just guessing here, but the free item, the seller has since found out from the offers for it, is really rare and that's why she's not refunding the sale. She wants it back to sell and figures that I will just pay the money to keep the free item. It really stinks because I wanted both since they would add to my collection. And the correct shipping in a proper box would've only added a few dollars.

I have initiated the charge-back.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:04 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
There were no strings attached for the free item. I just guessing here, but the free item, the seller has since found out from the offers for it, is really rare and that's why she's not refunding the sale. She wants it back to sell and figures that I will just pay the money to keep the free item. It really stinks because I wanted both since they would add to my collection. And the correct shipping in a proper box would've only added a few dollars.

I have initiated the charge-back.
Yes and if eBay doesn't actively look after your case I would complain extremely vocally. Basically everyone's using COVID as a convenient excuse to not do the part of their jobs that doesn't involve taking your money.

Old 12-15-2020, 12:57 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
It is up to the seller to make it right. You are not obligated to send anything back. You bought a bowl. The bowl is damaged. You should get your money back. You should not pay the seller anything.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:38 PM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
I recently purchased an item on eBay. The item was a vintage collectible and as a bonus, another item of the same manufacturer was added as "free". I didn't have either one in my collection so it was a great deal.

This is what I think happened: the seller misjudged the shipping(USPS PM) so they crammed the items in a USPS Flat rate box. The box was too small for the 2 items to be properly wrapped to avoid damage. There was only a layer of thin bubble wrap on the top and bottom of the item. So when I took out the bowl, it had major damage to the side and rim. The bonus item was inside the bowl and is undamaged.

I asked the seller to refund my purchase. The seller wants me to send the "bonus" item back because she had a couple of offers on it and it is rare. As a collector obviously I want to keep the bonus item and I responded that returning it wasn't an option. I thought that she would then respond with an offer of resolution. She hasn't.

I want to be fair and I thought about offering to cover the shipping, but get a refund for the bowl that was damaged since that is what I paid for. The bonus item was free, so paying for the shipping would be a fair compromise.

Bottom line: I don't feel it would be fair for me to have to go through the hassle of shipping the free item back to the seller when all of this could've been avoided had she shipped it in the correct box with the right packaging in the first place. She just wants the free item back to minimize her loss.

If I wait for eBay to step in, what will they do? Will I still have to send everything back to get my refund? Or will the free item be free and I can keep it? I have to throw the bowl away because it is unusable. It would be a different situation if I actually paid for both items for one price, but I only paid for the bowl. I am willing to pay the seller something, but it's really not my fault that she cheaped out on the shipping and didn't pack it properly.

I think you have two options.

1. Tell the seller you want to keep the free item and ask for a partial refund. See what type of partial refund they will offer.

2. Ask for a full refund and ship the damaged item back, but keep the free item. Then the ball will be in the sell's court. If the seller doesn't give you a refund, ask eBay to step in.

Old 12-18-2020, 07:57 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Chargebacks should always, always, always be the last resort. They’re incredibly damaging to the merchants. Give them every opportunity to make it right before going nuclear on them.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:28 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Quote:

Which would not prevent you from getting sued with the possibility of losing.

Wait on the eBay guarantee to resolve it. eBay is buyer friendly.

Give it a couple of weeks but stay within your chargeback deadline just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products