Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2021, 09:21 AM

48,271 posts, read 34,391,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I bought high quality stuff in my 20's but now I look around my kitchen and get depressed at my cookware. It's all old, worn out. As much as I would love to get an All-clad pot set, new Wusthof knifes + block, nice dutch oven, quality non stick pans it would probably cost me $1,200. I was going to buy a new vacuum cleaner this year but my dog got sick and the money went to vet bills

Quality cookware seems so unattainable with all the other expenses in life
I bought stainless steel set from costco for around $200, and I LOVE them (they weigh a ton, so I get a workout to boot), add a couple cast iron, dutch over (lodge $40), non stick (TFal forget how much but reasonable) for some stuff and i'm good. My knives weren't crazy expensive, but not cheap, and the electric knife sharpener keeps them razor sharp.

I'm happy with my cookware, and it didn't cost a fortune. I am missing out? Maybe. But I cook everyday and like what I have, so I'm good.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 09:43 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,713,780 times
Wow! Thanks for the heads up! We bought Lodge brand enameled dutch ovens for baking bread at the start of the pandemic, at I think $40 each (5.5 quarts, 5.2 liters). They're great for the price, but not the same quality as Le Creuset. I will have to check these out at Costco. Going today.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:51 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,713,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just a heads up for you cooks. Costco is selling a Tremontia enamel dutch oven set, 2 sizes, for $70. They are well made and the finish is nice and smooth. They are very nice pots. They are substantially heavy, which is a plus for Dutch ovens, heavy cast iron.

For those of you who wish you could afford Le Creuset but just can't, those pots will get the job done.

I've got two enameled dutch ovens that were economy purchases, and they work great, but the finish on them is nothing like these new pots I just bought at Costco.

(why I try to stay out of Costco. The impulse buys are hard on my budget)
I just looked at this online. It's a 7 qt and a 4 qt. Tramontina, $70. BUT, it is oven safe only to 450F, and when I bake, I preheat the Dutch ovens to 550 (the max on my oven) before I transfer in the risen sourdough. No damage so far to my Lodge dutch ovens, with this high temp preheat. So for those who want these for baking bread, you may prefer the Lodge 5.5 qt enameled dutch oven from Walmart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Ena...-Red/647826350

Free shipping. Best of all, if you have it arrive with a defect, you can just take it back to Walmart and order another one. It's listed as oven safe to 500F.

Here's a head to head review of Tramontina vs Lodge. The conclusion was, they're both good, but preference was Lodge, due to better lid fit and can withstand higher temperatures.

http://www.dutchovenscookware.com/tr...ge-dutch-oven/

Old 01-08-2021, 10:08 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,158,492 times
If it's cast iron and enamel, the only thing that could possibly be harmed by temperatures under something like 1500F, would be plastic knobs or handles. Do you have any idea how hot you've got to get stuff to enamel it?

Old 01-08-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
If it's cast iron and enamel, the only thing that could possibly be harmed by temperatures under something like 1500F, would be plastic knobs or handles. Do you have any idea how hot you've got to get stuff to enamel it?
I think one should follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:38 AM

I think one can use one's judgement and knowledge to conclude that cast iron won't be harmed by temperatures up to 550F or higher, that enamel is applied in a process that calls for the substrate to be red hot, and so it won't be harmed by temps up to 550F or higher, and therefore the only thing that could be harmed would be plastic knobs or handles.

And I just looked at the Lodge product and the Tramontina product, and the handles are cast into the iron bottom, and the knobs are stainless steel. They'll be good up to 1000F or so, with only the possibility of some discoloration in the knobs.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:46 AM

The handle in my Lodge is held on by a screw.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:56 AM

Yes, either a stainless steel screw or a zinc plated carbon steel screw, also not going to be damaged by any normal oven temperature.

If you look closely I think you'll see the Lodge product and the Tramontina are actually the exact same thing, probably come off the exact same production line in China and they slip some into the boxes marked "Lodge" and some into the boxes marked "Tramontina". I don't KNOW this for a fact but it's certainly a probability not to be dismissed.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:03 AM

Y'all can do as you want. I will not be putting my lodge in the Kamado at 700 degrees.

If anyone does, report back!!! I like in the field testing.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:07 AM

I'm just pointing out that the statement ”The Lodge is rated to 500F and the Tramontina only to 450F” has no basis in the mechanical design of the two pots and therefore is not a valid basis for making a purchase decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products