Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 12:42 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Example?
It's random. I would have to screenshot it when it happens. Basically the one time purchase box is not there. Subscribe and Save is at the top. Here is the second part of the problem that I mentioned.

How would you like to pay? Check: Yes, use my gift card balance. Future balance will be used as payment for this subscription. Continue. Please enter your payment information to continue.

Catch 22. I already checked the box to use my gift card balance as payment. That is what happens when you game the system too many times to get the 5% discount and then cancel the subscription. Amazon is weird. They really like to take a simple process and make it complicated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2021, 02:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I was thinking along these lines today. The extremes of the pandemic caused me to rely on Amazon for things I would normally buy in person. The default for me used to be to visit a store first to find something but now my default is to visit Amazon first.

Today I am expecting a delivery of coffee beans. From Dick Blick (an art supply retailer) I am expecting a delivery of art related goods.

In my case, shopping here is poor. I was already buying most of my clothing online. But we do buy small electrics in person, and we went to a dealer for our new to us car.

We do still visit our good local hardware store, our full service nursery and our local COSTCO. And of course we buy groceries in person.

But we buy loads of stuff online now, usually from Amazon.

In my immediate area we have lost three retailers and their spaces remain empty.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:48 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
On line buying ... did Covid bring us here?

No, not necessarily so. The brick & mortar stores did. We saw a waffle maker with removable plates and other possible contenders. Been to several stores in various locations. Have seen one or two on display that we liked but no boxes on the shelves that we can pick up and put in our shopping cart. We've asked a couple employees. One told us to check back in a couple days. Did that. If they did get a shipment, must have all sold out. Maybe they got shipped to another location. Why put something on display if the store has no plans to stock their shelves?

Old 06-13-2021, 06:25 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
The pandemic is a really good time to remember to support your local businesses in your home town.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:12 AM

Today, I ordered coffee beans and tea. I also ordered a set of waterbrushes for art work. I began ordering coffee because I disliked what I had been buying locally. i began ordering tea because my local grocer quit carrying that brand. I ordered the brushes because I don’t like what I bought locally.

Where Amazon shines is giving consumer more choices.

Old 06-14-2021, 04:42 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
I saw an item I would have liked to get at my local HD store and the price was even better than that on Amazon. Ugh, am so tired of getting the line, “Unavailable” or “This item is unavailable at any of your stores within 100 miles of your zip code.”

Guess it might be back to Amazon after all.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:24 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Amazon is the king of online shopping. Ordering stuff online is a generational thing. Boomers likes to shop in person, millennials like to shop online.
Then explain how QVC and HSN are so popular with that crowd. And almost all of their ordering is online

Old 06-16-2021, 07:48 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
I wonder is this is a generational thing.
I'm single, no kids, no pets. AND I'm over 60.
1) I still like to touch/feel items and see them in person before I buy.
2) I don't do returns. Just don't want to be bothered or have the patience or time. (So IF I do buy something and it turns out it's not what I want I give it to others or donate it. Either wan I'm out that money and still have to find what I would want.

That said.....
Even in 2020 I could count on just two hands the number of things I bought using Amazon.
And half of them were Covid related (masks, shields, sanitizer, etc), so if it hadn't been for that I might have only had about 5 orders.

Mostly my Amazon orders are gifts for others who live in other states. So I have the item sent directly to them. OR things I can't get at a local store. Such as the brown paper grocery bags I use for recycling.

I have one friend who even orders her toilet paper through Amazon. Whereas, I'm at either Walmart or the grocery store, or tagging along with someone to Costco....so I'm perfectly OK just buying TP, and anything else I need, at a store that I'm going to anyway.

I will say that still being new to Amazon (only that last three years), it does allow for price research and finding options I never would have known existed. Just a few minutes ago I ordered a pet travel bag for my sister, and had my choice of more than a dozen options. No way the local pet store would have had so much from which to choose.

Amazon is OK. But it's not like I live and breathe it.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Amazon is the king of online shopping. Ordering stuff online is a generational thing. Boomers likes to shop in person, millennials like to shop online.
Both DH and I were born in the 1940s, and we rely on Amazon. I buy my shoes from Zappos. I’ve been buying clothes online ever since catalog retailers offered that optionl

As usual generalizations about large groups of people are not accurate.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:44 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
It's been an ongoing trend, just accelerated w/ covid. Hard to find stuff you need in brick n' mortar stores. I have to buy most stuff online. That has its own challenges though. And, shipping has gone up high. I shop around a lot for lower shipping. I bought something West coast, 8.00 shipping, took over 2 weeks to get here, maybe 2 1/2. Bought something online, West coast again, 4.95 shipping and here in 4-5 days. Big differences w/ companies. Don't shop from Amazon much, a few things I do get there w/ deep discounts, but like to shop w/ mostly small businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products