Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 06:02 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
When I was single and a bit "poorer", I paid a family weekly to make an extra serving for me.... I was in an "illegal" apartment at the time w/ no kitchen; toaster oven and single plugin electric burner when I did cook. So it worked out very well and MUCH cheaper than eating out/delivery all the time.
I love this idea! One of my FB friends always posts these WONDERFUL home-cooked meals that remind me of my mother's cooking and make my mouth water.
Wonder how much he would charge???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 06:50 PM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Their money issues go far beyond eating out if they're declaring bankruptcy. No one is getting that far into debt by doing takeout throughout the week instead of buying groceries.
It speaks to the attitude of many that declare bankruptcy. Even my fiance isn't good with money and I have been trying to change the way he thinks about money. He will buy something small, and when I say "We are supposed to be saving for _____", he'll say "It was only $14.00." A lot of people who aren't good with money have that mindset, they look at each small thing as separate, and don't think about how much all those little purchases add up to in a month.

When Suze Orman had her TV show, she had a segment at the end called "Can I afford it?" and one girl was in a lot of student loan debt and not saving anything, and was spending $10 a day to get lunch at a place she liked near work every day. That's $200 a month, which would be $2400 in a savings account at the end of the year. So a person like that, if they find out they need an expensive car repair, they don't have any emergency money, and they put it on a credit card which they then can't pay or they pay the minimum and all the interest grows, and it all adds up until 10 years later they are filing bankruptcy.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:15 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
I *Might* dine out four times a year. Mostly its thru invitation - family event or friends celebration. When that happens I budget wisely the week before- and then when I DO go to that restaurant I usually have a restaurant 10% or 15% off the meal. Most know that I do not tip, and they are fine with that. So overall Its not crimping my yearly "treat".

The thing that saved me was in High school, we had a marketing/econ class. It was there that our Teacher discussed the misconceptions most consumers fall into that allow the "You are Saving X amount if you buy this product". No- You are not saving as you probably A: wouldn't buy it B: Its no where to be found in your bank account. YOu may have paid what you perceived was less, yet your account still took a hit. Its not to say that Buying is a Negative, It can sometimes be an investment. Things that gain value thru time tend to be for the patient of mind.

So even when out to acquire the necessities- food ,clothing Its at second hand stores, or at dent and damage stores or food outlets. My sons say- Mom you buy things as if they are prices from the 1980's! And I tell them, yes I know, I really do need to set my goal for the 1970's!

Old 04-05-2021, 06:45 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It speaks to the attitude of many that declare bankruptcy. Even my fiance isn't good with money and I have been trying to change the way he thinks about money. He will buy something small, and when I say "We are supposed to be saving for _____", he'll say "It was only $14.00." A lot of people who aren't good with money have that mindset, they look at each small thing as separate, and don't think about how much all those little purchases add up to in a month.

When Suze Orman had her TV show, she had a segment at the end called "Can I afford it?" and one girl was in a lot of student loan debt and not saving anything, and was spending $10 a day to get lunch at a place she liked near work every day. That's $200 a month, which would be $2400 in a savings account at the end of the year. So a person like that, if they find out they need an expensive car repair, they don't have any emergency money, and they put it on a credit card which they then can't pay or they pay the minimum and all the interest grows, and it all adds up until 10 years later they are filing bankruptcy.
Exactly, and thank you. My workplace has a number of people with this mindset. In fact, I once overheard the girl next door get OFF the phone with a debt collection agency and immediately get back ON the phone to make plans with friends to eat out.

And I totally get priorities and splurging on something when you economize on other things; in fact, my motto is "save it here to spend it there."

And finally, if you're rich and can afford it, sure, why not? Eating out is fun!

Last edited by otterhere; 04-05-2021 at 06:54 AM..

Old 04-05-2021, 08:56 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I *Might* dine out four times a year. Mostly its thru invitation - family event or friends celebration. When that happens I budget wisely the week before- and then when I DO go to that restaurant I usually have a restaurant 10% or 15% off the meal. Most know that I do not tip, and they are fine with that. So overall Its not crimping my yearly "treat".

The thing that saved me was in High school, we had a marketing/econ class. It was there that our Teacher discussed the misconceptions most consumers fall into that allow the "You are Saving X amount if you buy this product". No- You are not saving as you probably A: wouldn't buy it B: Its no where to be found in your bank account. YOu may have paid what you perceived was less, yet your account still took a hit. Its not to say that Buying is a Negative, It can sometimes be an investment. Things that gain value thru time tend to be for the patient of mind.

So even when out to acquire the necessities- food ,clothing Its at second hand stores, or at dent and damage stores or food outlets. My sons say- Mom you buy things as if they are prices from the 1980's! And I tell them, yes I know, I really do need to set my goal for the 1970's!

I had to laugh. My kid call me cheap, I tell them I am frugal. I appreciate quality, and will pay for it, but on most things, I can make a nickel look like a dime. As a result, I live a far better life at a far less retirement income than most. You are probably much like me, not buying and processed foods, because you know you can make it better at home with real ingredients, right? (peanut butter, the real kind with only peanuts doesn't count as processed, )

Old 04-05-2021, 10:19 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
So your friends and family are fine with your paying for your own meal, but leaving your tip for them to cover? You may have a conscientious objection to tipping, but that's kind of a crummy thing to do, even if they are "fine" with it.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I have worked from home for many years now and have children, so I'm used to cooking almost all our meals. We eat at a restaurant or get take-out only once a month or so, and only foods that I don't feel I can cook as well or better at home. That might be Thai food or Indian food, but never burgers or steaks, and least of all breakfast. It gives me palpitations to see what a restaurant charges for a couple of eggs, a couple of slices of bacon, and a piece of toast. If we do get a take-meal out it is typically about $60 for the five of us. That is way more than I could justify doing on a regular basis.

I am not saying that my husband and now over 18-year-old children don't ever drive through and buy themselves a burger. They do, especially since In-n-Out is right around the corner, but they use their own money. I personally don't, and we don't buy that kind of thing for a family dinner.
I never thought breakfast out was worth it either.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So your friends and family are fine with your paying for your own meal, but leaving your tip for them to cover? You may have a conscientious objection to tipping, but that's kind of a crummy thing to do, even if they are "fine" with it.
I agree, most likely they are covering it themselves.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:18 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
We went out with a relative once; he paid for his food, but no tip. We left a good tip, but I caught the relative taking a buck out of it. Cheap jerk.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:51 PM

19,029 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Because I can afford it and really enjoy eating out at different, new places.

Growing up, we rarely ate out because my parents couldn't afford it. As soon as I was on my own, it became a thing of mine to enjoy regular restaurant visits. Now I can afford to enjoy myself even more so why not?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products