Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 10:22 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm not a big rice eater at all - OP have you asked in the food thread?
Actually, I started this thread in the Food forum, but some admin moved it to Shopping.

Last edited by NW4me; 04-09-2021 at 11:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 07:59 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
A lot of the rice cookers have health warnings because of the ceramic coating or aluminum. You'll see the warning tags at the store, but often not on online displays. Stainless steel rice cookers are safe.

Aroma Simply Stainless

I think the pressure cookers are supposed to be safe. Clay or stainless steel are deemed safe materials.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:11 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
I've had two Zojirushis with Fuzzy Logic and both have been excellent. I gave one to my son when I bought a smaller more compact one. Mine makes rice very quickly and keeps it warm and ready to eat for two days. I've cut back on using it because I'm limiting carbs but I make wonderful oatmeal in it. I put the ingredients in the night before and in the morning it's perfect! They both came with a "shelf" in it for steaming vegetables.

We've had both of them in the family for over ten years and never had a problem with either of them. They have different settings for brown, white and a mixture of rices plus other settings for porridge and some other things that I don't use : )

Old 04-10-2021, 08:23 AM

3,264 posts, read 1,745,602 times
Cooking rice on a stovetop in a saucepan with a lid has become a lost art. Modern consumerism tells us we need a specialized appliance to prepare the simplest things. How long has rice been around ? Literally thousands of years. But no matter how its prepared, be it saucepan, minipot or microwave, the results are so similar as to be virtually indistinguishable from each other. But hey, if it makes you feel good by spending money on the latest, greatest whiz-bang gizmo to cook something that's been done simply and easily for thousands of years, go right ahead.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:22 AM

14 posts, read 6,378 times
For frequent use that cooks various types of rice, we use an AROMA six-cup rice cooker with a stainless steel pot (the coating will scratch and wear off on a coated aluminum pot).

We also have a large ZOJIRUSHI, but we only use it when we need a lot of rice for the holidays (New Years) when we make sushi.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:36 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Cooking rice on a stovetop in a saucepan with a lid has become a lost art. Modern consumerism tells us we need a specialized appliance to prepare the simplest things. How long has rice been around ? Literally thousands of years. But no matter how its prepared, be it saucepan, minipot or microwave, the results are so similar as to be virtually indistinguishable from each other. But hey, if it makes you feel good by spending money on the latest, greatest whiz-bang gizmo to cook something that's been done simply and easily for thousands of years, go right ahead.
The best part about a rice cooker is that the rice comes out perfectly every time and you don't have to stand at the stove making sure it doesn't boil over, burn or get gummy. Of course if someone wants to take the time to master the art with a saucepan and get it right every time, that's their choice.

I've watched quite a bit of Korean Dramas (love those soaps!) and everyday Koreans always seem to have a rice cooker in their kitchens and as part of their meals. I'll take my cue from people who incorporate rice into most of their meals. It's hardly a new "gizmo"

Old 04-10-2021, 10:14 AM

295 posts, read 246,126 times
I've been using a rice cooker from Toiro Kitchen that I like a lot. Kinda pricey though.
https://toirokitchen.com/products/kamado-san

Old 04-10-2021, 10:20 AM

130,194 posts, read 12,093,129 times
I just cook my rice on the stove top. If you have an electric stove top it's super simple. 2 parts water to rice, bring to a boil, & once it has boiled, lid it & turn it off. The residual heat on the electric ring will keep cooking it. Of course we don't eat rice often, & I have a small kitchen so no room for another appliance.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:02 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I've had a nice Zojirushi for about 10 years, but it takes forever and a day to cook brown rice, which is all I eat - almost 90 minutes - so ever since I got my Instant Pot, I haven't used it and will probably sell it. It took me a couple tries to get the timing right on the IP, but once I did, it's so much faster. Takes a few minutes for the pressure to build, then 15 minutes cook time, 5 minutes natural venting, and then I release all the steam and presto - perfect rice. I use a non-stick insert bowl with a handle to cook the rice in.
Your experience is like mine, cooking brown rice in the rice cooker took forever, but the final product was quite good.

I do prefer to let the rice steam for a bit with a folded kitchen towel between lid and bowl for a few minutes.

I use a 30 minute cook time for brown basmati.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:03 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I just cook my rice on the stove top. If you have an electric stove top it's super simple. 2 parts water to rice, bring to a boil, & once it has boiled, lid it & turn it off. The residual heat on the electric ring will keep cooking it. Of course we don't eat rice often, & I have a small kitchen so no room for another appliance.
I cooked white rice that way for a number of years. You can also microcook white rice successfully as well,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products