Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 07:46 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,624,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Why is it so difficult to find a mattress that isn't a pillow top or memory foam?" Why is it so difficult to find a rotary dial telephone ? IMO, it's called innovation.

Regards
Gemstone1
innovation=cheaper to manufacture + higher retail price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 09:52 AM

10,045 posts, read 6,323,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
We bought a latex mattress about a year and a half ago. My wife likes it; I don’t. The last mattress we had was a Heavenly Bed. It was a perfect bed for about three years, then it hollowed out. The latex mattress is made with some high quality materials, largely organic. I just can’t seem to get comfortable in any position and for months my back hurt. Thought it would work out but it’s a no go.
I've got an expensive talalay latex mattress that's wonderful. The only problem is that it weighs a ton. I nicknamed it "Moby Whale", lol. Where I lived before my yard helpers would rotate it every 3 months but they're not as available now since I moved so I put the mattress in the spare room. The cats love it!

Old 05-09-2021, 10:52 AM

455 posts, read 212,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
innovation=cheaper to manufacture + higher retail price
THIS

It's not just mattresses but many other products as well (i.e. shoes, bikes, etc).

Old 05-09-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Are you Googling "coil spring mattress?" That has a lot of options.
Yeah I get that they're online. I just wanted to vent because none of the local stores carry them. It's just more of a PITA to order mattresses of all things online. It's enough of a hassle ordering shoes and clothes online lol.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Sorry, my mistake.
Mattresses are tricky, at least for me; too firm and my shoulder hurts as a side sleeper.
I must have spent 8 hours reading reviews and critiques, as the one we choose should match how we sleep. I also chose factory direct, as they allowed me 120 night to return it, no hassles.
Menard's doesn't give this type of relationship, plus they omit their 11% off as being in-store credit only from their ads...which is very deceptive advertising.

Best wishes on your search.
No problem and thanks!

I'm not sure if Menards would even give me a cash refund. When I spoke to the salesperson, she said I could exchange it for a softer one. That would be a pillow top (ugh).

Old 05-09-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Mine was bamboo and it has down like clusters of poly fiber versus memory foam or any foam at all. I don’t have an issue with sleeping hot so to me it’s fine. I got mine at Target online, it’s called eLuxury Plush Rayon from Bamboo Mattress Pad with Fitted Skirt.

It won’t let me hyperlink it. Because it defaults to the app for me.

Anyhow, the reason I like the down like clusters of poly fiber is that I use the Carpenter pillows made with the same stuff. Those are called Beyond Down pillows, and they do not crush. I sleep in a variety of positions, and my head is always perfectly supported no matter what position I’m in. If I’m on my side, it’s higher, if I’m on my back, it’s lower, if on my stomach usually I’m hugging it. I love the thicker gussetted pillows.
Thanks for the info. I might give that a shot before returning it.

It has gotten a bit more comfortable so I might order it (or something like it) and that might be all I need.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I just cracked up when I saw this thread because even though I don't have an answer for you except to visit a small time mattress store in a strip mall, years ago I was bitching online about sheets and how I couldn't find NON-SATEEN sheets. It was literally driving me crazy. Nowhere in the stores, nowhere online, I finally gave up after several weeks of looking. I can't remember the solutions people had for me back then, but I think it will be easier for you to find a traditional mattress than for me to find traditional sheets! Best of luck!

It's crazy that stores don't carry the most quality stuff, must find it online. Same thing with shoes, in my experience.

I wonder if different sheets would help with the heat issue btw.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:36 AM

21,108 posts, read 13,427,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navage8214 View Post
I have been looking around for a replacement for a sagging pillow top mattress. I kinda wanted to avoid another pillow top as they don't seem to last as long as regular inner spring mattresses. I ended up buying a medium firm hybrid with memory foam on top. I have been using it for a few weeks and have a couple of issues:

1) It's too firm. It's harder than it was in the store.

2) It's hot

They say to give it time but I have given it a few weeks and it's still not all that comfortable. If I return it to Menards, the softer mattress is a pillow top, which I wanted to avoid.

It doesn't seem like any of the local stores carry a good old-fashioned inner spring mattress. Everything is either pillow top or memory foam. Why is that?

Debating whether to return this mattress or order a mattress cover. Or should I give it more time? I went back to the store and the floor display is softer. How long do these types of mattresses normally take to break in?
Gosh my double pillow top lasted longer than projected. I hate to think I can't replace it with a like product.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:46 PM

9,798 posts, read 14,648,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navage8214 View Post
I have been looking around for a replacement for a sagging pillow top mattress. I kinda wanted to avoid another pillow top as they don't seem to last as long as regular inner spring mattresses. I ended up buying a medium firm hybrid with memory foam on top. I have been using it for a few weeks and have a couple of issues:

1) It's too firm. It's harder than it was in the store.
Keep in mind that the model in the store probably has been there for a few months, if not a few years. With mattresses that means not only that many people have laid on it (most people don't buy a mattress unless they try it), but all types of people have been on it from the thin as a toothpick to the plus plus plus size. Now imagine what that does to a mattress, regardless how firm it is. Give it some time. Unless you tried a very new mattress in the store, if you buy firm then the one that arrives at your home will be firmer. With every night usage (aka, sleep and possibly do other things on it such as having sex) will break-in the thing and then it will be to your liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navage8214
2) It's hot
Memory foam mattresses, even the hybrid ones with the memory foam on top, tend to get hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navage8214
It doesn't seem like any of the local stores carry a good old-fashioned inner spring mattress. Everything is either pillow top or memory foam. Why is that?
That's how they make them now. Few if none are also reversible (can't turnover a mattress) like the old ones.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Keep in mind that the model in the store probably has been there for a few months, if not a few years. With mattresses that means not only that many people have laid on it (most people don't buy a mattress unless they try it), but all types of people have been on it from the thin as a toothpick to the plus plus plus size. Now imagine what that does to a mattress, regardless how firm it is. Give it some time. Unless you tried a very new mattress in the store, if you buy firm then the one that arrives at your home will be firmer. With every night usage (aka, sleep and possibly do other things on it such as having sex) will break-in the thing and then it will be to your liking.

Memory foam mattresses, even the hybrid ones with the memory foam on top, tend to get hot.

That's how they make them now. Few if none are also reversible (can't turnover a mattress) like the old ones.
Good points about the model in the store. Who knows how long it's been there.

I'll just have to give it some time I guess. It has gotten a little softer. I think the bigger issue is the heat.

I did notice that! It is very difficult to find a reversible mattress these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products