U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2021, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
9,630 posts, read 4,327,202 times
Reputation: 13011

Advertisements

Has anybody else noticed a slowdown in USPS delivery recently. My packages have been arriving right on time for the last few months. But starting this month all of my USPS items are getting delayed 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 days. The delays seem to be happening at different points all over the country as well as locally here in Oregon.

A couple of items that I ordered, and were being shipped from Florida got first directed to New York, where they sat for several days, before continuing here to Oregon. They are being delivered today about three days late.

Another item being shipped from Colorado got delayed for several days in Utah at "Unknown" Zip Code 84198. Today it left the USPS Regional Destination Facility at 5:19AM, which is too late to be delivered today. So I guess it's sitting at my local post office. The status is now showing delivery for Friday, but I don't know why it wouldn't be delivered tomorrow.

It's seems like every one of my USPS items is being delayed. Is anyone else having this problem?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2021, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Queens, New York
445 posts, read 185,751 times
Reputation: 1363
The mail seems to be all over the place for me. I got one package from Vermont to New York quickly, then one sent a few days later took a week and a half. I think the USPS must have issues at some of their larger shipping centers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2021, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
9,630 posts, read 4,327,202 times
Reputation: 13011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
The mail seems to be all over the place for me. I got one package from Vermont to New York quickly, then one sent a few days later took a week and a half. I think the USPS must have issues at some of their larger shipping centers.
Thanks. It's seems kind of weird to me, because after Christmas, shipping times seemed to return to normal. Then then last few weeks everything went to hell.

It does seem to coincide with the USPS's reported consolidation of 18 mail processing centers. But none of those centers are near me, so I wonder why it would be affecting my local area. I guess maybe it's causing a ripple effect throughout the system. Which is not good news.

U.S. Postal Service to consolidate 18 facilities, leading to concerns over mail delays
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2021, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Queens, New York
445 posts, read 185,751 times
Reputation: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Thanks. It's seems kind of weird to me, because after Christmas, shipping times seemed to return to normal. Then then last few weeks everything went to hell.

It does seem to coincide with the USPS's reported consolidation of 18 mail processing centers. But none of those centers are near me, so I wonder why it would be affecting my local area. I guess maybe it's causing a ripple effect throughout the system. Which is not good news.

U.S. Postal Service to consolidate 18 facilities, leading to concerns over mail delays
That would do it, unfortunately. And I'm sure there is a ripple effect that effects things we can't usually see/aren't usually aware of.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2021, 06:15 AM
 
Location: Elysium
9,141 posts, read 5,201,696 times
Reputation: 6617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Thanks. It's seems kind of weird to me, because after Christmas, shipping times seemed to return to normal. Then then last few weeks everything went to hell.

It does seem to coincide with the USPS's reported consolidation of 18 mail processing centers. But none of those centers are near me, so I wonder why it would be affecting my local area. I guess maybe it's causing a ripple effect throughout the system. Which is not good news.

U.S. Postal Service to consolidate 18 facilities, leading to concerns over mail delays
As I am interpreting the article and the APWU union leaders talking about an additional 2 hour truck run from the plant to presumably the most far flung local delivery stations the plants are processing letters into route order. And his members will face either reassignment or an additional commute to stay in the same line function. Meanwhile the 18 locations will be repurposed and optimized for parcels. But the union wants to protect that plant and job bid status quo.

Like other employers of so called unskilled labor the USPS is facing labor shortages. About a decade ago the service won in a union negotiation, the APWU gave up their new hires as career federal workers to get the senior workers back to pay parity with letter carriers. So now the newly hired don't get that federal worker benefit package for years, if they are able to hold out that long working the worst shifts with no set schedule.

Meanwhile for the senior workers in most districts are now in their prime vacation season and a greater proportion are on some of their 5 weeks of annual leave. More folks legitimately gone with a tougher environment to bring in temporary workers, the potential next generation of full time workers leaves only so many man hours and the end must be deferred.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2021, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
41,744 posts, read 54,294,635 times
Reputation: 117693
No problems here. Deliveries are on time or even 1-3 days earlier.
Weather conditions in some areas right now, like the floods in many states, may slow them down temporarily.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2021, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
9,630 posts, read 4,327,202 times
Reputation: 13011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
As I am interpreting the article and the APWU union leaders talking about an additional 2 hour truck run from the plant to presumably the most far flung local delivery stations the plants are processing letters into route order. And his members will face either reassignment or an additional commute to stay in the same line function. Meanwhile the 18 locations will be repurposed and optimized for parcels. But the union wants to protect that plant and job bid status quo.

Like other employers of so called unskilled labor the USPS is facing labor shortages. About a decade ago the service won in a union negotiation, the APWU gave up their new hires as career federal workers to get the senior workers back to pay parity with letter carriers. So now the newly hired don't get that federal worker benefit package for years, if they are able to hold out that long working the worst shifts with no set schedule.

Meanwhile for the senior workers in most districts are now in their prime vacation season and a greater proportion are on some of their 5 weeks of annual leave. More folks legitimately gone with a tougher environment to bring in temporary workers, the potential next generation of full time workers leaves only so many man hours and the end must be deferred.
Thanks for that explanation. I have an Amazon package that is listed as arriving today by 8PM, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. USPS tracking shows USPS in possession of item, but not Out For Delivery. Amazon delivered it to my local Post Office at 6:41AM. The Post Office scanned it at 7:04AM. Unfortunately, from other tracking I see that my USPS carrier had another package Out For Delivery at 6:16AM. It looks like Amazon dropped the package at my Post Office after the letter carrier had already left. I guess it's possible that the letter carrier will return to the post office sometime today, and pick that package up, but I doubt it. Amazon is not going to be happy about that. The delays just keep continuing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2021, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Not too far East of the Everglades
7,381 posts, read 1,736,269 times
Reputation: 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

It's seems like every one of my USPS items is being delayed. Is anyone else having this problem?
It all started a few months BEFORE the Presidential Election last November and it actually has gone downhill more after that.

Terrible service, delays galore, I am also getting packages here in Miami 3-4 days after the original delivery date was mentioned.

Once a week we get ZERO mail and that is really impossible, but it's happening here too. Not enough help in the delivery Dept and the USPS keeps digginn a hole in the ground.

I don't trust the pick ups, therefore some of the bills we remain paying by mail I take them directly to the Local Post Office, here you don't know if they are picked up or not, we have a HUGE Mail Box System at the Cul de Sac and only and Angel would know whats in there for more than a day or two not being taken back to the Main Post Office.


Last edited by Huasho; 05-20-2021 at 03:23 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2021, 03:45 PM
 
6 posts, read 1,922 times
Reputation: 15
I can confirm this! at least here in Kansas city we are getting 3 or even 4 days late deliveries!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2021, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Elysium
9,141 posts, read 5,201,696 times
Reputation: 6617
Since my carrier retired we get letter mail about every third day. Meanwhile since the toilet paper shortages I have worked 12 hours a day 5 days a week and on the 6th day just my route in 8 hours.

With more daylight hours, a reasonable parcel load and no market ads I can deliver roughly half a route in hours 8-12. So those routes have been getting letters every other day for over a year now. At least locally we are nowhere near as bad as we were when COVID first hit and parcels were so backed up that they were shipped out of state for less heavily hit plants to break them down to routes and truck them back to my district
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top