Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 08:54 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
California downgraded shoplifting merchandise less than $950 to a misdemeanor. Stores and police don't bother with it any longer.

Then you have the whole movement to eliminate cash bail as it's considered racist and especially punitive to minority women (according to Biden's proposal last year). That worked out real well with the lunatic that plowed through the Christmas parade in Wisconsin. Now everyone's crying that he was released on only $1,000 bail.
Actually, the Governor of California signed a bill into law in July 2021:
"a law reestablishes the crime of organized retail theft, which lawmakers first created in 2018 but allowed to lapse as of July 1. Prosecutors can again seek to charge the crime as either a misdemeanor or a felony. It applies to those who work with others to steal merchandise either from brick-and-mortar stores or online, with the intent to sell or return the merchandise."

Granted, it is up to local prosecutors (D.A.'s) to prosecute those involved...but there is nothing in state law which prevents local D.A.'s from throwing the book at the low level "boosters" or those higher up the food chain.

https://ktla.com/news/california/new...ss-california/

The progressive DA in San Francisco is charging nine suspects arrested in a recent smash and grab with felony charges. Better late than never.
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...burglary-group

Last edited by Astral_Weeks; 11-24-2021 at 09:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 09:00 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
This is a link to a 15 minute WSJ podcast/interview about organized retail crime. They interview the head of security for CVS about the nature of the problem and what is being done to fight it.

https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/the-jou...6-78630ab5007c

This is all driven/organized by the internet. One operation in Texas was using a large single family house to store stolen goods and they added an elevator to the house. It functioned like a warehouse.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:19 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
If you're talking about crime of opportunity rioters deciding some high profile incident legal outcomes are not to their liking and an excuse to pillage retail stores at will, I would think there's a great opportunity for a retail version of the Israeli crowd control concoction being set up around a retail building perimeter to discharge upon certain sensors being triggered and effectively making the pillagers become readily identifiable by smell.

Most thieves go for the easy target. Once word gets out there are extra layers of difficulty and risk the thefts would drop significantly. Like most rats they move on to the next target.

Also embedding GPS tracking type devices that trigger the moment they leave a retail stores perimeter much like a dye pack deploys in bank robberies would be fun.

There will always be some theft in certain areas, but adding instant retribution risk may deter a good portion of it.

Made me think of these ingenious ideas for porch pirates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4T_LlK1VE4

You could try a variation of old time 'organized' protection. A group of independent small owners band together and 'hire' a 'disposal/cleaning' crew. Perhaps a bait location and 'accident' could put a large dent in the overall thieve population.

Best to go virtual whenever you can and let a fulfillment type warehouse who has the resources protect your product.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:37 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
DAs need to charge anyone caught committing these types of crimes. Eliminate bail free arraignments for suspects.

Store owners need to vote for mayoral candidates that embrace law and order.

These crimes are a result of jurisdictions attempting to legitimize criminal behaviors. All of this is done under the banner of equity. Anyone who didn't see this as a result of not prosecuting lower level shoplifting isn't responsible enough to hold elected office.
They do charge them and for these "flash rob" events they are charged with a felony so there isn't free bail. The problem with most people who commit crimes is they either lack the insight to realize they might be caught or they are sociopaths who convince themselves of their invincibility.

At the local Best Buy they had a few 'smash and grab' incidents and now they have armed guards onsite, all of them are retired or off duty cops or retired MPs. They don't try to hide who they are they wear tactical vests and are armed. I don't think people even try to shoplift there anymore

Old 11-24-2021, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Actually, the Governor of California signed a bill into law in July 2021:
"a law reestablishes the crime of organized retail theft, which lawmakers first created in 2018 but allowed to lapse as of July 1. Prosecutors can again seek to charge the crime as either a misdemeanor or a felony. It applies to those who work with others to steal merchandise either from brick-and-mortar stores or online, with the intent to sell or return the merchandise."

Granted, it is up to local prosecutors (D.A.'s) to prosecute those involved...but there is nothing in state law which prevents local D.A.'s from throwing the book at the low level "boosters" or those higher up the food chain.

https://ktla.com/news/california/new...ss-california/

The progressive DA in San Francisco is charging nine suspects arrested in a recent smash and grab with felony charges. Better late than never.
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...burglary-group
These flash mob incidents can usually be charged as robbery which is a serious three strike offense, it requires harming or threatening to harm a store employee and I think four employees had minor injuries in the Walnut Creek Nordstrom event

Old 11-24-2021, 10:42 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Some of these smash grab theft rings can be sophisticated.
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...cleveland-area

Old 11-24-2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 tracks View Post
Hey in some states the govt (I think) says you can steal up to 1000 and not be charged...

LET THEM PAY THE STORES BACK! (You'll see how fast they change thier stance)
I think you're talking about the felony threshold for theft. In California theft involving more than $950 is a felony, less than that is charged as a misdemeanor. Texas and Wisconsin have a felony theft threshold of $2500.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:31 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They do charge them and for these "flash rob" events they are charged with a felony so there isn't free bail. The problem with most people who commit crimes is they either lack the insight to realize they might be caught or they are sociopaths who convince themselves of their invincibility.

At the local Best Buy they had a few 'smash and grab' incidents and now they have armed guards onsite, all of them are retired or off duty cops or retired MPs. They don't try to hide who they are they wear tactical vests and are armed. I don't think people even try to shoplift there anymore
I think it was LA Law but the plot of an episode was the "armed response" security company being sued because when the guard responded he followed policy and sat outside waiting for the police.

I have noticed the super market adding a guard in full tactical armored car guard gear but I bet when push comes to shove he won't leave the store to chase down and shoot if he resist someone who walked out with a bottle of Tide detergent

Old 11-24-2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I think it was LA Law but the plot of an episode was the "armed response" security company being sued because when the guard responded he followed policy and sat outside waiting for the police.

I have noticed the super market adding a guard in full tactical armored car guard gear but I bet when push comes to shove he won't leave the store to chase down and shoot if he resist someone who walked out with a bottle of Tide detergent
I don't think they are there to shoot someone who stole a bottle of tide detergent.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:48 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think they are there to shoot someone who stole a bottle of tide detergent.
Then why the tactical armored vest and multiple weapon rig to stand at the exit? But I do agree he is just a scarecrow with a weapon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products