Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 12:59 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

Thanks so far, guys, I'm sure I'll find something out there that I'm looking for. But I don't know why I'm getting replies that have nothing to do w/ what I asked & I explain more below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Personally, I just like watches. I don't own any expensive ones...I have a few $500+ watches but most are around $20-100. So, pretty moderate IMHO.

Right! Since when can people not have what they like? I asked a specific question, so I don't need to hear replies like, "Just use your cell phone clock, you ar clock, etc."

I'm personally not a cell phone user hardly, so I'm not trying to whip my phone out of my bag just to see the time, which is more trouble than just looking at my wrist right in front of me already. & I'm not always in my car 24/7 to look at the car clock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 01:09 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks so far, guys, I'm sure I'll find something out there that I'm looking for. But I don't know why I'm getting replies that have nothing to do w/ what I asked & I explain more below:

Right! Since when can people not have what they like? I asked a specific question, so I don't need to hear replies like, "Just use your cell phone clock, you ar clock, etc."

I'm personally not a cell phone user hardly, so I'm not trying to whip my phone out of my bag just to see the time, which is more trouble than just looking at my wrist right in front of me already. & I'm not always in my car 24/7 to look at the car clock.

If you're set (Pun intended!) on watches, I'd recommend Armitron on the cheap end...Solar G-Shock on the mid end and Seiko Solar on the higher end of $500 and under.

Amazon has or had a G-Shock solar for $80 recently.

Back to the Armitrons...the batteries usually last me five or more years...which is about when the band breaks too. I tend to get the ones with the odd bands so no replacement exists. At $20-30 though it doesn't kill me to just get another watch. Or, in my case, just grab another from one of my cases.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:13 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,068 times
Quote:

Welcome to the forums.... What you have gotten is a bit of an aside to your question, and believe me, I take your point. Since I have been here, I have seen people come onto threads just to argue, name call, declare themselves infallible in their opinions, and generally just try to ruin it for others. Good luck.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:27 PM

4,533 posts, read 2,669,541 times
The Seiko 5 is a high qualiit self-winding watch that comes in a plethora of styles.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
The Seiko 5 is a high qualiit self-winding watch that comes in a plethora of styles.
I don't know how to post pictures so here's a link to my favorite watch:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Old 07-25-2022, 02:14 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
$25 every year or two seems high! The last time I had the batteries changed at the watch repair shop it was like $30 for three of them.
Maybe that’s her area… I know my fossil and MK watches were dirt cheap to get done in the store. They last me about 3 years .

Old 07-25-2022, 02:44 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Quote:
I hate paying $20-25 getting batteries replaced in my watches. They don't even last that long either & I know to keep the watches you don't wear NOT ticking away so as to not use up the battery life. I have 1 watch that doesn't require batteries. I just have to wind it up & reset the time each time I wear it, which is no big deal. That's the way to go these days!

But I haven't been able to find watches like that these days. Anyone know any brands & stores to get them from of watches that req NO batteries? You just wind them up & set the time each day. TIA!
I have a Seiko Kinetic that I bought off QVC 25 years ago. It is motion wound, similarly to a Rolex.

Still works.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:58 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,060,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
My current watch was 25 cents at a thrift store. Got a battery for less than $2 on ebay (free shipping) and changed it myself.

ETA, I don't get the whole expensive watch thing. I knew a security guard who wore a Rolex. He said, "People treat you better when you are wearing a Rolex." I'm thinking, hmmm, how do they know it's not a fake?
OP: Go to Amazon and look for an “automatic” watch. They’ll wind themselves with the movement of your arms and hands. Solar is a good option also.

@VTsnowbird - I’m not sure how a security guy can afford a Rolex. Even in 2003, a new BLNR was about $8400. The appreciation wasn’t bad - I sold mine two months, got back what I paid for it plus an Explorer II from 2010.

Watches are a hobby. If you don’t understand it, it’s cool. We can’t all like the same things! If things work out in 2023, we’ll go to Glashutte Germany and Le Brassus Switzerland to visit several watchmakers and take a few classes. Watches are fascinating little machines and the design iterations are a study in the horological arts.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
OP: Go to Amazon and look for an “automatic” watch. They’ll wind themselves with the movement of your arms and hands. Solar is a good option also.

@VTsnowbird - I’m not sure how a security guy can afford a Rolex. Even in 2003, a new BLNR was about $8400. The appreciation wasn’t bad - I sold mine two months, got back what I paid for it plus an Explorer II from 2010.

Watches are a hobby. If you don’t understand it, it’s cool. We can’t all like the same things! If things work out in 2023, we’ll go to Glashutte Germany and Le Brassus Switzerland to visit several watchmakers and take a few classes. Watches are fascinating little machines and the design iterations are a study in the horological arts.
As for the security guard...you never know if that's a 2nd job or if they have other income...maybe it was a gift or fake...it doesn't matter though as people make choices that allow them to splurge on some things that others can't.

I personally tend to buy nicer things (Rarely the top shelf though.) but almost never eat fast food, drink soda, or any of the myriad of other things that easily add up to a car payment each month. It's all choices.

The only time I question what people afford is when they splurge on the swag and their kids go hungry or they are constantly complaining about not getting paid enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Maybe that’s her area… I know my fossil and MK watches were dirt cheap to get done in the store. They last me about 3 years .
I didn't know OP was a female??

Eh, well if so...then my suggestions might still work as far as brands go but I have no idea what their ladies selection is like...I assume they have ladies watches as well, but may be wrong.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:03 PM

6,017 posts, read 2,840,559 times
I have worn a Citizen Eco-Drive everyday for the last nineteen months. It does not use a battery to power it, but light. This was the main selling feature, for me, other than its elegant styling.

I purchased it new and I have not had a single issue. It is quite an elegant piece, and I have received numerous compliments on it. The straps have worn where I latch them, but not enough to warrant replacement, and I can order replacements directly from Citizen, should I choose to.

Overall, it is a great watch, and it would solve your issue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products