Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 02:44 PM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

HOWEVER, for the past 1.5 mos, I've developed this cough in which I can feel mucous in my throat, so I sometimes have to spit. Zyrtec & Sudafed do help, which dr said to tk (before that tried Mucinex on my own, which helped too), but I can't take that for the rest of my life & the coughing/spitting seems to return if I take a day or so break from the meds, so I'll be returning to the dr soon to try to get allergy tests done or something. I have some sinus congestion too, but NO sore throat or fever or other cold/flu symptoms. (I've been doing ALL I can otherwise: Gargle w/ warm salt water, gargle w/ warm water & drop of oregano essential oil, drink tea w/ lemon, ginger, & honey, etc. I try to go as holistically w/ remedies as I can.)
I've had this cough also for maybe 2 months now. I'm in the Portland Oregon area. We have have wildfires in the state; but, they haven't necessarily been in my vicinity until we got the East winds this weekend. A lot of times we are okay because the wind blows off the ocean towards the East.

So, I suspect the cough may have something to do with the wildfires (also wildfires in Washington).

If I constantly drink water the cough will be dormant; but, as soon as my throat starts drying out the coughing begins. I go into coughing fits and even barf mucus. I have a history of chronic sinus infection; but, this is different from that. I was taking mounds of Mucinex a few weeks ago when I really did likely have a sinus infection (that was before the cough started).

I'm also wonder if this is some new long Covid. I felt I might have had Omicron a few months ago; but, the home test was negative and I didn't go to the doctor.

This is why I am here on this Air Purifier thread. The problem I have is as long as the weather is good and not smoky or excessively hot I will leave my sliding glass door open for my male orange tabby cat as it is endlessly entertaining for him and kind of soul crushing when he doesn't get it... So, my door is open a lot. I do have a whole house air filtration system that I service regularly.

Gah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 07:42 PM

182 posts, read 205,446 times
Quote:
I seee that you bought a BlueAir 211+, so keep us posted on how it goes. I've had 2 models of the brand Levoit for the past 2-4 yrs (got my 2nd one 1-2 yrs after the other) & I guess it's been working (links below). They both need replacing of filters. I could never actually feel any obvious difference w/ air purifiers & I've had several or more throughout the yrs. The bigger one's in my living room & the other's in my bedroom on the nightstand.

https://levoit.com/products/lv-pur13...a-air-purifier

https://levoit.com/products/core300-...a-air-purifier

HOWEVER, for the past 1.5 mos, I've developed this cough in which I can feel mucous in my throat, so I sometimes have to spit. Zyrtec & Sudafed do help, which dr said to tk (before that tried Mucinex on my own, which helped too), but I can't take that for the rest of my life & the coughing/spitting seems to return if I take a day or so break from the meds, so I'll be returning to the dr soon to try to get allergy tests done or something. I have some sinus congestion too, but NO sore throat or fever or other cold/flu symptoms. (I've been doing ALL I can otherwise: Gargle w/ warm salt water, gargle w/ warm water & drop of oregano essential oil, drink tea w/ lemon, ginger, & honey, etc. I try to go as holistically w/ remedies as I can.)

I hope I don't have mold, but bought a mold test kit to use soon. I surely do NOT have pigeons...sure wouldn't want to breathe in that filth! I'm suprised you didn't try to move by the time you had to recently sign your lease renewal.

How long have you had to put up w/ pigeons & the lack of seriousness/action from your mgmt?
How long have you had your allergy symptoms?
Which allergy med(s) did you try & did it help you?

I might get a 3rd purifier where I sit at my desk for 10-14 hrs/day & I may go w/ the Blueair brand.
I thought about it, but I didn't have it in me. I figured if I have made it this long, I can handle one more year with a couple good air purifiers.. Moving is going to be such a nightmare; there will be so much to contend with, but eventually I'll do it. Probably as soon as my lease is up.

I guess I misunderstood them. Apparently they are not aware that the pigeons are inside the roof. They think they're just on top.. They said there is no way for them to get inside and looking at the building from outside, that would appear to be the case, though, I have definitely heard them walking around and making their annoying noises.. I may need a camera like this to prove it..

I've experienced symptoms for a couple years, off and on. As for medication, I've avoided it thus far. It's a last resort, but if it gets any worse, I'll need to.

Old 09-15-2022, 04:00 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,481,580 times
Try wearing an N95 mask constantly for a couple of days and nights. If you're symptoms persist, it's probably not anything in the air.

Old 09-15-2022, 07:36 PM

12,779 posts, read 14,996,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I've had this cough also for maybe 2 months now. I'm in the Portland Oregon area. We have have wildfires in the state; but, they haven't necessarily been in my vicinity until we got the East winds this weekend. A lot of times we are okay because the wind blows off the ocean towards the East.

So, I suspect the cough may have something to do with the wildfires (also wildfires in Washington).

If I constantly drink water the cough will be dormant; but, as soon as my throat starts drying out the coughing begins. I go into coughing fits and even barf mucus. I have a history of chronic sinus infection; but, this is different from that. I was taking mounds of Mucinex a few weeks ago when I really did likely have a sinus infection (that was before the cough started).

I'm also wonder if this is some new long Covid. I felt I might have had Omicron a few months ago; but, the home test was negative and I didn't go to the doctor.

This is why I am here on this Air Purifier thread. The problem I have is as long as the weather is good and not smoky or excessively hot I will leave my sliding glass door open for my male orange tabby cat as it is endlessly entertaining for him and kind of soul crushing when he doesn't get it... So, my door is open a lot. I do have a whole house air filtration system that I service regularly.

Gah!

I've suspected fires too, but I don't know. How about mold? I don't think I have any here in my apt, but I got a mold test kit that I'll try out to see. Yesterday, I got bloodwork done to try to see & I'll go back to the dr for the 2nd time next week so see what else can be done. I'm still taking the Sudafed & Zyrtec, but I may skip a tablet or two each day, so I take just enough for it to still probably work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii900 View Post
I thought about it, but I didn't have it in me. I figured if I have made it this long, I can handle one more year with a couple good air purifiers.. Moving is going to be such a nightmare; there will be so much to contend with, but eventually I'll do it. Probably as soon as my lease is up.

I guess I misunderstood them. Apparently they are not aware that the pigeons are inside the roof. They think they're just on top.. They said there is no way for them to get inside and looking at the building from outside, that would appear to be the case, though, I have definitely heard them walking around and making their annoying noises.. I may need a camera like this to prove it..

I've experienced symptoms for a couple years, off and on. As for medication, I've avoided it thus far. It's a last resort, but if it gets any worse, I'll need to.

I see, thanks for replying. I wish you the best. I don't know how you even sleep every night w/ the noise they probably make.

Old 09-15-2022, 07:40 PM

Forever Blue --

Yeah, I did have my house tested for mold. I have a tiny bit of mold in my crawl space. But, nothing detectable in the house.

Old 09-16-2022, 04:48 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times
The builder placed the water heater in the attic,and after x years,the water heater will fail and if you are not watching the drain pan,water will overflow .
I wish they will keep it in the garage instead .

Old 09-16-2022, 10:07 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,996,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Forever Blue --

Yeah, I did have my house tested for mold. I have a tiny bit of mold in my crawl space. But, nothing detectable in the house.

I see. I noticed a dark green thin line around the base of my toilet in my bathroom. Don't knwo if that's a type of mold or copper or something. It will be interesting what my mold test says though.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:37 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times
I think instead of a air cleaner,get an air conditioner.

Old 09-16-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I think instead of a air cleaner,get an air conditioner.
two different things.

Old 09-19-2022, 03:17 AM

182 posts, read 205,446 times
Quote:

I see, thanks for replying. I wish you the best. I don't know how you even sleep every night w/ the noise they probably make.
I turn it down to low at night and It's not bad at all. Even on medium it probably wouldn't be an issue. One thing I can't sleep through is my air conditioner in my bedroom. It was for this reason that I only used the one in the dining room this summer and left my bedroom door open..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products