Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 02:40 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,505,512 times

Advertisements

Just received an email,It would like to have your SLIGHLY USED GOODS,bring them to their shops or schedule a delivery,
I am in Houston,dont know if this email is sent to out of state residents.
It would sell them to raise money.
So clothes,appliances,canned goods,dry goods,shoes ,blankets,tools would be good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2022, 06:25 AM

2,623 posts, read 3,155,244 times
I have donated to SA for years & have done service work in some of their facilities. They are not perfect but they are legit in my book. Most people there are focused on helping as much as they can. Good people.

Old 11-13-2022, 06:59 AM

5,590 posts, read 6,522,498 times
I just took 7 bags of nice things to 3 different charities, and it feels so good to see them gone after collecting them for a year!

Last year while putting Christmas items away I realized I only display a few favorite things. So I got a paper bag and began filling it with those items I don't use, all in excellent shape, to donate to my local Humane Society thrift store the following year, around November 1, when people would actually buy in time for the season. During the year, anything I came across that was in saleable condition went into that bag. 4 bags went here.

Other items, again in saleable condition but with some small issue that made them not thrift store eligible, went to Salvation Army. An example of what I mean is I had a $17.00 spiral bound book specifically for use when making out your end of life decisions and choices. I filled out one page in it then went to the Neptune Society and got it done. I used white out on the one page in this book, there was nothing else wrong with it, someone could actually use it themselves. 2 bags went here.

I donate all clothes to "Arms of Love", formerly "the Arc". I only donate clothes I would wear, nothing with holes or stains or rips. I won't wear any shirt that gets those little pin holes in the front waist area, but I repair them and then donate them. 1 bag went here.

My house feels and looks so much lighter, and I have not, and won't, miss anything I donated to these 3 worthwhile charities.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:58 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,505,512 times
2 guys came yesterday to pick up boxes after boxes,suitcase,exercise machine,electric sweeper,brand new clothes,venetian blinds,etc etc.
I gave each of them a tip,lunch is on me.
Salvation army used to get more donations,but now those who gave in the past can no longer afford to.

Old 11-14-2022, 02:42 PM

61,859 posts, read 87,314,674 times
They (and GW) make too much money on that free stuff. Mostly feeding CEOs pockets.
Their prices went up drastically and often you can buy new stuff cheaper in a regular store.

Old 11-14-2022, 02:59 PM

5,468 posts, read 8,196,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They (and GW) make too much money on that free stuff. Mostly feeding CEOs pockets.
Their prices went up drastically and often you can buy new stuff cheaper in a regular store.
The Salvation Army is a large multinational organization. For such a large entity, the CEO's pay is peanuts.

"The salary of the CEO of the Salvation Army is estimated to be $122,330 per year.":

https://www.zippia.com/answers/what-...alvation-army/

Old 11-14-2022, 03:08 PM

Does that ^^^ include other perks and benefits the CEO earns?

The current CEO of Goodwill makes over $1 million annually.

Last edited by elnina; 11-14-2022 at 03:18 PM..

Old 11-14-2022, 03:28 PM

Charities are a necessary part of our society. Organizations that provide services to those in need are essential in helping people rebuild their lives after a crisis has struck.
However, if you’re thinking of giving money to charity in the future, you should know which organizations are NOT worth it.
(No, Salvation Army is not listed)

https://nonprofitpoint.com/the-worst...-to-donate-to/

Old 11-15-2022, 05:17 AM

5,457 posts, read 4,067,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
The Salvation Army is a large multinational organization. For such a large entity, the CEO's pay is peanuts.

"The salary of the CEO of the Salvation Army is estimated to be $122,330 per year.":

https://www.zippia.com/answers/what-...alvation-army/
That's because it is technically a church. And not the Joel Osteen kind of church.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:59 AM

24,639 posts, read 10,968,622 times
There are plenty local organizations accepting usable items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products