Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 06:48 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times

Advertisements

We bought our own wax & wick material. We made sand candles & driftwood candles/ We had a lot of fun going to the beach to look for interesting/ unique driftwood. As far as i know, we haven't gotten sick from the candles. I, also did some surf fishing for Surf Perch, mostly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 11:04 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It isn't only cheap candles; relatively expensive candles are also said to be toxic. When I was in Massachusetts several years ago, I visited the main store of "Yankee Candals". I bought several Christmas gifts for our housekeeper, gardener, a few women at church, and some women who work for DH. All were delighted with their gifts.

I also bought three for myself and I made a table centerpiece around them, using natural greens.

A friend of mine who is a follower of this man who calls himself "the Medical Medium" freaked out and said that the fragrances were poisonous and the gifts I gave would make people sick.
When does this END? According to her, if I baked everyone a LOAF of BREAD, I would also be contributing to their demise because wheat it toxic. Christmas cookies? TOXIC. Apple pie? TOXIC.

She follows this Medical Medium guy as though he is God.

As far as candles go, I mostly use them on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Outdoors in the summer. I DO NOT buy candles made in China from dollar stores.
It's not made up, although the jury is still out on how harmful they can be. I would guess cheap ones would be worse.

"In addition to the carcinogens from paraffin wax, scented candles contain synthetic fragrances and dyes. All of which can release toxic fumes when burned. According to the EPA, burning candles can emit acetaldehyde, formaldehyde, acrolein, and naphthalene."

Old 11-14-2022, 11:46 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I typically use Candle-Lite. Burning candles bring a relaxing atmosphere. To me moderation is key. I don’t burn a candle everyday. There’s a lot of things that can increase risk of cancer and health issues but worrying about what might not happen is a waste of energy and time.
it's not just candles, it's a whole lot of scents, like the Fabreeze plug in's, etc....they are also very harmful to pets...

Old 11-14-2022, 11:59 AM

3,246 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Beeswax candles would remedy most concerns.Unless BEES are toxic too.

Old 11-14-2022, 02:38 PM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Most cheap candles are toxic. Your friend is right.

Old 11-14-2022, 06:21 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Have always enjoyed scents a great deal, but have developed a bad allergy over them...and found out why, they are indeed toxic....I developed a severe cough, and sore throat, from using them....so I cannot use them any longer...but loved the smell of them and how it made your home smell so yummy.

Old 11-17-2022, 05:24 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
My Va doctor prescribed Lisinopril for me. I took the tabs for a few years, than i started to get a bad cough. Doc said stop taking them. I, no longer had any cough at all, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products