Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 11:53 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times

Advertisements

What a disappointment so far.

Every year, for since I was 18
I have gone out and done at least some shopping on Black Friday. Since I had kids, who are adults now I started going out at 5 AM.. Now my oldest son goes out with me.

This year, no reason to go out. Except for fun.

History of Black Friday

Originally, I had planned to go out shopping the day after Thanksgiving when I was old enough to have a drivers license and a job to pay my own way. We were celebrating Thanksgiving at home, with my grandparents, uncle an a few other relatives and friends in town. I made mention that I was looking forward to going out Friday morning to shop and my mom had one of her meltdowns about how crowded it would be and no way could I go and I was not going to go....(My mom, when we lived in a small town, would not go downtown on Saturday due to crowds, nor would she go to the grocery store on Wednesday because that was "double stamps day" and also too crowded.)

Instead, she expected us to do what we always did when my grandparents were in town: sit in front of the TV all day and breath my grandmother's second hand chain smoke, get an allergy attack and asthma flare-up and be bored.

That night, they showed the news from the Mall, I complained that we missed all the fun and she looked at me with this Evil grin as to say "Haha I kept you from doing something fun"
Inspite of her protests, I did go out the next day.

The next year, in spite of her fussiness and near meltdown, I went out on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
And the year after that.....and on and on. Her behavior made it that much more fun, she became convinced that I was doing it just to spite her, which was a small reason to do it, but also out of fun.

Eventually, I grew bored with it, but continued more out of spite and because it irritated her.
A few years later, I met a friend who also hated shopping the day after Thanksgiving, to the point that he could not stand that I or anyone else was doing it. To this day, I send him photos and updates out of spite. it is fun to read his comments and know that I have the power to get under his skin just by going shopping.

SO Black Friday originated Decades ago out of spite and that tradition continued until this year.

Sadly, my mom passed away earlier this year, and most of Black Friday was to buy gifts for her. My mother in law passed away in September. Between the two of them, the trips to Kohl's Penney's and Old NAvy (they both loved fuzzy socks) accounted for probably 90% of the purchases. Most of what we bought at those stores was given to them at Christmas.

My dad would even go with us when they was visiting here for Thanksgiving, my mom would not. She would not say anything except that she would not get up at 5 AM to shop.

TODAY Black Friday has changed.

First, Black Friday deals are available all of November, and the week of black Friday, online. Going out to the stores is no longer required to get certain items.

Second, we are less materialistic every year, and have all material goods that we would want or need. As my old lady said, if it is not something that we can eat or wear, we do not want it. And we have all the clothes we need plus more.
SO there is little reason to go out Friday Morning EXCEPT for Fun

In regards to the materialistic gifting of Christmas, it can be said that ALL presents could be purchased throughout the year (and they are) and all'Christmas Shopping" can be completed by Thanksgivin'

And growing up, there was a lot of good to be said about Thanksgiving, with the exception of the smoking that my grandmother did, which was comparable to the daily output of smoke and pollution from the city of Pittsburgh from 1946 to 1974. To this day, I do not like to encroach Christmas onto Thanksgiving. To me, Thanksgiving remains a day of traditional meals, excessive alcohol consumption and watching football. (It takes me about 2 bottles of red wine to get through a Cowboys game.) I think it is healthy for everyone, especially for an atheist like myself, to reflect on all that we have for which to be appreciative.

SO today I go to one of the many Black Friday websites as we are 2 weeks from this anticlimactic event. My son assures me that we will still be going out, but the focus will be more on obtaining bargains to donate to local charities. Perhaps an Angel tree kid if they still do that. Toys for tots always gets donations from us. Most of what we will return home with will be donated to needy families. There is a church here in town who operate a number of community charity events, they are unaware of my beliefs but appreciate my bankroll and willingness to help with their drives and programs.

It was fun, long ago, to go out at 5 AM and get those coveted items, a Nintendo DS or a WII or a ride on car, which my kids loved when they were young. It is still fun to text pictures to my friend in Texas and let him know that in spite of his preferences, we are still out doing our thing.

There are however, fewer "doorbuster" buys to obtain only on Black Friday. We will no doubt find a few fun things that we think others will enjoy and use. Last year, we found a store with a run on sporting equipment so we donated basketballs, footballs and soccer balls to one local toy drive. but going out because there is some "hot item" to get, well, that is no more.

And since the online landscape now makes everything available throughout the week, if not the month, then Black Friday is not really much of a thing anymore.

Still, for tradition, for fun, for something to do, and for the one remaining person in life who c=needs to be reminded that he does not get to influence others, we will still do something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2022, 08:24 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Thanks for the breakdown of how it is TODAY. I'm in my 40s now & I literally only went out 1x w/ my mom when I was in my 20s to do the whole, "Black Friday shopping experience". Even then, we really didn't anything, it was for fun. We did the whole waking up early, etc. & went to this one mall. We got a coupel of things. Then, yrs later, SO & I walked around this outlet mall in the wee morning hrs just to get out at that time of day. We'd never go anywhere anymore now on Black Friday due to COVID.

I don't personally care for crowds & I try my best to do ANYTHING (shop, even grocery shopping, go to amusement parks, go to the movies, etc.) at off-peak times to have it as sparse as possible wherever I go. I never needed anything that badly to brave the crazy crowds.

These days...I want to sign up for a streaming TV service or two, so I assume they'll have BF deals for that too. So of course I can be in cozy home for that. I just might get a blender to make smoothies, but mine still works good for now. I'd like a bigger TV, but my 32" is still working fine & until it conks out, probably won't get another.

Old 11-13-2022, 04:16 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Black Friday days are practically an everyday thing now. Your best sales prices are usually the week before and the 4 weeks after Xmas.

Old 11-13-2022, 06:21 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
I already pretty much finished this years "short " list I know from experience though, a few things

The Salvation Army Angel Trees go up Tuesday If I choose a child to sponsor, we will probably have fun getting things for him or her on Black Friday. Otherwise, yes, the deals are already best online. Last few years, the best prices were in November.

I will point out that Macy's (who already has discounts on gift items) will further discount things like cakes, chocolates, etc in December. Those I will order and have shipped to a few people around the country. Honey Baked Hams will sell out for gift delivery early December, so it is best to order those for Christmas delivery the weekend after thanksgiving. I have a few friends in Texas who like to get a honey baked turkey of all things from me for Christmas.

Black Friday is so very different now though. I will go out, for fun, probably not spend a lot, but there will be unique items that will be up for a good price. But there is no specific thing I have to get. Or need really

Old 11-13-2022, 06:58 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,788,390 times
BFs are great today. You don't have to leave your house to get the best deals. Go online and a few clicks later your BF shopping is done.

Old 11-14-2022, 12:32 PM

12,779 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Black Friday days are practically an everyday thing now. Your best sales prices are usually the week before and the 4 weeks after Xmas.

Thanks because I was going to ask if I see something that's on sale 1-2 wks BEFORE BF, will that be the BEST price I'll see or is it best to wait til actual BF day? So the prices stay the same for those few weeks in a row?

Old 11-15-2022, 12:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I know a few people that used to do Black Friday pre-Covid, but I have never shopped that day myself. The family that we exchange gifts with all have Amazon "wish lists" and we draw names, though we all buy for the two kids. That makes it very easy, decent prices and for us free delivery, everyone gets things they want, and we don't have to mingle with the crowds at the stores. Normally we draw names at Thanksgiving and people order from Amazon in the next few days.

Old 11-16-2022, 02:27 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks because I was going to ask if I see something that's on sale 1-2 wks BEFORE BF, will that be the BEST price I'll see or is it best to wait til actual BF day? So the prices stay the same for those few weeks in a row?

I don't think anyone can answer this question because the retailers will make their own rules.

Say you're looking for some DNA tests for ethnicity. Right now Ancestry is on sale for $59 while 23 and me is on sale for $99. Both sales end the 23rd. Last year they both had sales from Saturday after black Friday until new years eve.

I feel Ancestry, maybe even both will be cheaper on black Friday, last year Ancestry was $49, it would not surprise me to see 23 and me go for $89, then it may go back to $99 until Christmas or New Years Eve. I think Ancestry will stay $49 until at least Christmas, maybe even new years eve like it did last year.

People are going to either take a chance on prices now or wait until Black Friday or closer to Christmas. It's all about stores moving their inventory out to make room for new stuff.

Old 11-16-2022, 05:25 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,423,398 times
I agree that it's an unknown. I have found that when I find a super good price and hold off because it might become even lower, more than half the time it does not, and often goes higher.
It's a total gamble.

Old 11-16-2022, 04:43 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Difficult to say. It's up to the retailers and their inventory. Last year I wanted a new TV. Walmart had the one I liked on BF for $397.00. I decided to chance it and wait. The week after Xmas I got it for $297.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products