Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 02:51 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times

Advertisements

I got a free Turkey from Kroger,it is defrosting in my fridge right now.
It has giblets,thats what it said.
It started Friday,so today is 2 days .
How long does it take for a 10 lb turkey to defrost so I can place it in the oven.
My dressing will be rice with chopped cilantro,celery,ginger ,some seasoning in my pantry,should I add bacon?
If I dont use bacon,what should I use ?
I am not crazy about Turkey, the only part I like is the smoked turkey drumstick,ready to eat from supermarket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 03:53 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Get a bag of Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing and add celery, onion and sage, or poultry seasoning, and follow the directions.
It’s thawed when you can pull out the bag of giblets from the cavity. It will be fine in your fridge until Thursday. Put the giblets in water on the stove to simmer while your turkey roasts. Use the broth to make gravy.

There is no rice, bacon, cilantro or ginger in roasting a turkey....ordinarily, but of course, you can do what you want.

Last edited by gentlearts; 11-20-2022 at 04:04 PM..

Old 11-20-2022, 05:05 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
This is a cooking - recipe topic!

Old 11-20-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Get a bag of Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing and add celery, onion and sage, or poultry seasoning, and follow the directions.
It’s thawed when you can pull out the bag of giblets from the cavity. It will be fine in your fridge until Thursday. Put the giblets in water on the stove to simmer while your turkey roasts. Use the broth to make gravy.

There is no rice, bacon, cilantro or ginger in roasting a turkey....ordinarily, but of course, you can do what you want.
thanks,the Pepperridge solution is good,I will get it tomorrow.
what is wrong with rice,some use wild rice,or is it just for chicken?

Old 11-20-2022, 05:30 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
thanks,the Pepperridge solution is good,I will get it tomorrow.
what is wrong with rice,some use wild rice,or is it just for chicken?
There is nothing wrong with it, if that’s what you like, but it’s not how you make a traditional turkey.

Old 11-21-2022, 04:58 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,062,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I got a free Turkey from Kroger,it is defrosting in my fridge right now.
It has giblets,thats what it said.
It started Friday,so today is 2 days .
How long does it take for a 10 lb turkey to defrost so I can place it in the oven.
My dressing will be rice with chopped cilantro,celery,ginger ,some seasoning in my pantry,should I add bacon?
If I dont use bacon,what should I use ?
I am not crazy about Turkey, the only part I like is the smoked turkey drumstick,ready to eat from supermarket
Then why not donate it to a soup kitchen, and get yourself a smoked drumstick.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:11 AM

7,106 posts, read 4,828,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

In the south, or at least the part of the south where I live, rice dressing is a staple for most meals, including Thansgiving I’m pretty sure. You don’t stuff the bird with it, it’s served on the side. For stuffing, cornbread stuffing is quite popular here, also oyster stuffing.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:25 AM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
In the south, or at least the part of the south where I live, rice dressing is a staple for most meals, including Thansgiving I’m pretty sure. You don’t stuff the bird with it, it’s served on the side. For stuffing, cornbread stuffing is quite popular here, also oyster stuffing.
We've hit on the following for stuffing/dressing:
1 green pepper-diced
1 red pepper-diced
1 med/lg onion-diced
3-4 celery stalks-diced
The above are cooked/fried for a bit in two sticks of butter then added to the stuffing mix which consists of 2 bags of seasoned stuffing and one bag of cornbread mix. Also added to the above is 1 lb. of crumbled, cooked sage sausage and a large handful of fresh cranberries. also add a cup or so of bought turkey broth,

Mix all of the above together. Stuff both turkey cavities (remove the giblets) and close with poultry skewers https://www.amazon.com/HONSHEN-Turke...620993117&th=1 . You might have to tie with cooking twine.

You'll have a bunch of stuffing mix left over, that becomes dressing. Put in a casserole dish (add some more of the bought broth) and bake in the oven for the last hour the turkey is cooking.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Then why not donate it to a soup kitchen, and get yourself a smoked drumstick.
Good idea,but there is none nearby,and it is half defrosted in my fridge.
Besides I have already donated mucho to Salvation Army.
Some one robbed them $45K worth of goods they intend to sell and use it to buy turkey

Old 11-21-2022, 09:40 AM

Now sausage is better than bacon,I will get some sausage !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products