Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 01:01 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,300,245 times

Advertisements

I do not buy on a lot of websites, but I do buy on a few such as Amazon, etsy, eBay, etc. Every site I have purchased on has a mechanism for buyers to leave seller feedback. Some, like Amazon, allow buyers to review products as well. I think this really helps buyers to identify the sellers with whom they wish to do business. Buyers have a vested interest in knowing whether other buyers had good, neutral, or negative experiences.

However, for years now, I have witnessed some eBay sellers over and over again getting eBay to remove negative feedback. How they are able to do it, I do not know, but it makes me VERY ANGRY. It happened to me again today after I left an honest, clean feedback for a seller. I did not receive my item and the seller stopped communicating. I had to open a dispute to get my money back.

I have complained to eBay about this sort of thing MANY times, and I am always told that negative feedback will not be removed unless it violates eBay policy, which mine has never done. Once the seller gets some sod at eBay to remove a negative feedback, eBay says it is impossible to restore it. This is wrong on so many levels. What is to be done?

Feedback is ONLY valuable if all feedback is allowed, both positive and negative, and I feel sellers have to be willing to shoulder the responsibility of receiving a negative feedback if they did a poor job. Negative feedbacks should not be removed simply because a seller does not want a negative feedback.

ETA: I have been on hold now for well over an hour waiting to speak to a customer service supervisor at eBay. eBay CONSISTENTLY has the worst customer service of anyone with whom I ever do business. If there were awards given for bad customer service, eBay undoubtedly sweep the categories every single year.

Last edited by PhinneyWalker; 11-16-2022 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 08:27 AM

50,186 posts, read 35,859,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I do not buy on a lot of websites, but I do buy on a few such as Amazon, etsy, eBay, etc. Every site I have purchased on has a mechanism for buyers to leave seller feedback. Some, like Amazon, allow buyers to review products as well. I think this really helps buyers to identify the sellers with whom they wish to do business. Buyers have a vested interest in knowing whether other buyers had good, neutral, or negative experiences.

However, for years now, I have witnessed some eBay sellers over and over again getting eBay to remove negative feedback. How they are able to do it, I do not know, but it makes me VERY ANGRY. It happened to me again today after I left an honest, clean feedback for a seller. I did not receive my item and the seller stopped communicating. I had to open a dispute to get my money back.

I have complained to eBay about this sort of thing MANY times, and I am always told that negative feedback will not be removed unless it violates eBay policy, which mine has never done. Once the seller gets some sod at eBay to remove a negative feedback, eBay says it is impossible to restore it. This is wrong on so many levels. What is to be done?

Feedback is ONLY valuable if all feedback is allowed, both positive and negative, and I feel sellers have to be willing to shoulder the responsibility of receiving a negative feedback if they did a poor job. Negative feedbacks should not be removed simply because a seller does not want a negative feedback.

ETA: I have been on hold now for well over an hour waiting to speak to a customer service supervisor at eBay. eBay CONSISTENTLY has the worst customer service of anyone with whom I ever do business. If there were awards given for bad customer service, eBay undoubtedly sweep the categories every single year.
I agree. I have been wary of E-Bay for some time, since my brother bought an old and moderately expensive comic book and it was never sent, and eBay never did anything about it. I do buy somethings there though like my face moisturizer, although I suspect the facial cleanser I bought there recently is counterfeit (it's a different color than it is when I've bought it in stores). I won't buy electronics or anything expensive there.

I didn't know that they were able to get negative feedback removed that easily! What good is it then?

Old 11-17-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree. I have been wary of E-Bay for some time, since my brother bought an old and moderately expensive comic book and it was never sent, and eBay never did anything about it. I do buy somethings there though like my face moisturizer, although I suspect the facial cleanser I bought there recently is counterfeit (it's a different color than it is when I've bought it in stores). I won't buy electronics or anything expensive there.

I didn't know that they were able to get negative feedback removed that easily! What good is it then?
Exactly. I made the mistake once some years ago of buying an iPhone on eBay. It was far from cheap, but it was a better price than Apple. Anyway, it arrived, and I opened it STUNNED to find an old iPhone 4 box with a bar of Dial soap in it. I immediately reported it to my card and to the seller's local police. Also reported it to eBay who did nothing at all about it. Would never buy anything like that on eBay ever again.

Old 11-17-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I made the mistake once some years ago of buying an iPhone on eBay. It was far from cheap, but it was a better price than Apple. Anyway, it arrived, and I opened it STUNNED to find an old iPhone 4 box with a bar of Dial soap in it. I immediately reported it to my card and to the seller's local police. Also reported it to eBay who did nothing at all about it. Would never buy anything like that on eBay ever again.
Wow! So you never got a refund or did your CC refund you?

Old 11-17-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Wow! So you never got a refund or did your CC refund you?
Thankfully, my card protected me, but if it had not done, it would have been a huge loss even though the mobile was not the most current model at that time. After that experience, I decided it was better to pay full price at Apple. I have heard plenty of people buying mobiles, laptops, etc., on eBay, but it is not worth the risk to me, and I would not recommend anyone else risk it either.

Some while back I screened a video on Youtube. This young man had ordered several different electronic devices on eBay, and he was doing an unboxing and demonstration. One of his orders turned out to be the same sort of scam. They sent him a very old mobile instead of the one he thought he was purchasing. I believe it was genuine demonstration. The look on his face was one of such shock and dismay.... I felt so bad for him.

Old 11-17-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Thankfully, my card protected me, but if it had not done, it would have been a huge loss even though the mobile was not the most current model at that time. After that experience, I decided it was better to pay full price at Apple. I have heard plenty of people buying mobiles, laptops, etc., on eBay, but it is not worth the risk to me, and I would not recommend anyone else risk it either.

Some while back I screened a video on Youtube. This young man had ordered several different electronic devices on eBay, and he was doing an unboxing and demonstration. One of his orders turned out to be the same sort of scam. They sent him a very old mobile instead of the one he thought he was purchasing. I believe it was genuine demonstration. The look on his face was one of such shock and dismay.... I felt so bad for him.
That’s really messed up! I think eBays reputation suffered from this kind of thing but it seems they don’t care.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:59 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,068,004 times
Obviously, we can't see the feedback you left ( or why} to ensure that it didn't violate policy, but sellers frequently get stuck with negs they didn't deserve and cannot get it removed
It may be a little inconvenient but , when following the process, it's almost impossible not to get your money back, even when everything is the buyers fault and/or even outright lies.
Ebay is almost totally slanted towards the buyer in a dispute.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Obviously, we can't see the feedback you left ( or why} to ensure that it didn't violate policy, but sellers frequently get stuck with negs they didn't deserve and cannot get it removed
It may be a little inconvenient but , when following the process, it's almost impossible not to get your money back, even when everything is the buyers fault and/or even outright lies.
It didn't work that way when my brother never got the comic he ordered.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I have heard horror stories on both sides. In my case I left totally FACTUAL ONLY feedback--never received my package and seller stopped communicating after promising me to look into it with UPS. My feedback did NOT violate any eBay policy, buddy. I am sorry if as a seller you have had a bad experience, but that does not negate plenty of legitimate bad experiences on the buyer side of the equation. This is not a seller v. buyer problem per se, this is an honest, conscientious seller/buyer v. dishonest, conscientious seller/buyer problem.

I hasten to add that problems were almost non-existent with buyers and/or sellers UNTIL eBay went public on the stock exchange and began promoting the site as a way for people to earn extra income. Before that, the ONLY sellers I saw on eBay were those who personally owned something they either no longer used, wanted, or had space to store and wanted to liquidate it. That was my case any time I sold anything on eBay. However, post going public on the stock exchange and changing the way they promoted the site, TONS of people were convinced this was a way to "earn a living." That RUINED eBay in my opinion, and years later it ruined etsy, too. After this tragic move, all of these sellers were out there actively looking for stuff to buy just so they could resell on eBay for a profit, and therein came all of the problems if you ask me.

eBay should not be a place to "earn a living." Get a bloody education and find a decent job and work that job. Instead, people are scouring garage sales, flea markets, estate sales, etc., to buy stuff they do not want or need personally. I have had some long time antique dealers who do deal in antiques for a living tell me that this development totally screwed up the market---suddenly everyone and his brother is an expert. I cannot tell you the hundreds of times I have seen sellers list stuff with TOTALLY inaccurate descriptions. They do not know what they are talking about. If you take the time to contact them, many will tell you that they just "copied" someone else's listing. Some will correct their listings if you notify them of inaccuracies. Others will just leave them as is. eBay used to be a good and useful site before it went public, but it is not anymore. That is my opinion.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:58 AM

6,886 posts, read 4,349,461 times
I stopped buying from eBay because of all the issues as mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products