Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 07:19 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times

Advertisements

This is a rare post for me in the food forum, but was inspired to write based off my recent visit to my in-laws in Northern California. I visited a supermarket called Nugget, which seems to be local to the Sacramento area. I currently live in New Mexico, and have for many years, and here, a Sprouts is an elevated supermarket experience. I am pleased to say this supermarket is easily the most impressive supermarket I have ever entered, in any state around the country. I was wondering if there are other supermarkets similar to this regionally around the country, so I thought I would create this thread. I really look forward to reading what others have to write.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 08:02 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Here in Northern California, we like Raley’s. Generally speaking, the service (although it has declined in quality after the pandemic), grocery selection, store amenities (sandwich bar, hot food deli, coffee bar) are all pretty good. Their pharmacy (now closed) was exceptional when I needed it.

I like Raley’s as it seems that the corporate office listens to their customers.

Other good stores are Trader Joe’s and Sprouts.

Last edited by ccm123; 11-22-2022 at 08:38 PM..

Old 11-22-2022, 08:09 PM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Texas has H-E-B and cult following
H-E-B (once again!) is named top U.S. grocery retailer and is ranked #1 in an annual consumer survey.
It's not "upscale" and prices are very reasonable.

https://www.sacurrent.com/food-drink...mazon-27986899

Old 11-22-2022, 08:26 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Let me be the first from the south to weigh in on our beloved Publix. Having grown up where it's headquartered in Lakeland (FL), I'm glad that it (finally) followed me to NC about a decade ago.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:09 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Texas has H-E-B and cult following
H-E-B (once again!) is named top U.S. grocery retailer and is ranked #1 in an annual consumer survey.
It's not "upscale" and prices are very reasonable.

https://www.sacurrent.com/food-drink...mazon-27986899

I was in San Antonio for the past 9 months. Just returned back home in Roswell.
The differences in the produce and meat is night and day. I'm still amazed at the vast amount of fresh, beautiful fruit and vegetables HEB provides.
Georgia can learn a few things from Texas. I'm saddened every time I walk into our neighborhood Kroger, sprouts, and Publix. That being said Walmart has a much better variety and availability lately.
And the Meat! DONT GET ME STARTED.
Half the back end of every HEB is loaded with BEEF, POULTRY, PORK, every cut imaginable, every package size available. The eggs are even outstanding! A definite difference in size price, and quality compared to GA.
In Texas HEB is King and Queen.
Georgia barely has a Prince in waiting.

HEB also pays well and supports the communities in several ways.

Old 11-23-2022, 06:27 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Wegmans!!! Thank goodness they finally came to NC! And when I move next year, I'll be deeper into Wegmans territory!

Where I live now, we've got a great convenient assortment of Wegmans, Publix, Harris Teeter, and Lowes Food (listed in the order of my preference). We've also got Trader Joes and Whole Foods, but they aren't regional. I have to say, I like Publix, but I don't understand the hype.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:23 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Wegmans!!! Thank goodness they finally came to NC! And when I move next year, I'll be deeper into Wegmans territory!

Where I live now, we've got a great convenient assortment of Wegmans, Publix, Harris Teeter, and Lowes Food (listed in the order of my preference). We've also got Trader Joes and Whole Foods, but they aren't regional. I have to say, I like Publix, but I don't understand the hype.
When I lived in New Jersey, Wegman's was the tour de force. I had no idea the chain extended into the Carolinas! Learning a lot here.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:30 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Here in Northern California, we like Raley’s. Generally speaking, the service (although it has declined in quality after the pandemic), grocery selection, store amenities (sandwich bar, hot food deli, coffee bar) are all pretty good. Their pharmacy (now closed) was exceptional when I needed it.

I like Raley’s as it seems that the corporate office listens to their customers.

Other good stores are Trader Joe’s and Sprouts.

I also like Raleys, but I still go to Grocery Outlet, which I like for the pricing. No Sprouts here, but I did love them when I lived near one. Trader Joes is always a winner.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:44 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
ShopRite! I love Wegman's, but it's 20 minutes away, and the new (2019) ShopRite built a couple minutes from my home easily competes with it as far as quality and variety.

I also have a Trader Joe's close by. They have certain products I love.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:45 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
HEB and Central Market are owned by the same company,you should see the difference .
H Mart is a Korean supermarket,they have 3 locations in Houston,also in other states and Canada,they have swimming cat fish,tilapia,lobster,dungenses crabs,King crabs in tanks,they have seafood flown in from Fulton Market every day and their fresh produce dept would definitely knock your socks off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products