Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 08:33 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,564,089 times

Advertisements

Avoid Samsung at all costs! They are very repair prone and expensive to fix. The icemaker inside the refrigerator compartment tends to freeze up constantly. The thru door water drips and leaks. They're very noisy and the cooling coils ice up, causing the circulation fan to make a huge racket and eventually break.

Mine had 3 major repairs in 3 years. It was so bad that I eventually got Samsung to refund the full purchase price. Google Samsung refrigerator recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 08:58 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
We have a side by side Sub Zero 42 inch fridge and are very happy with it. Before that, we had a large Kenmore side by side that we had for 20 years. We were happy with it as well. This is currently my preferred style.

Growing up, we had a one door fridge on top with a freezer below. Other than everything being in a basket, it worked well.

I will never buy a fridge with the freezer on top. They aren't very large, and the contents tend to fall out when you fill them up.

A friend has a Samsung French door unit, and it seems pretty decent, with multiple baskets in the freezer to make organization simpler.

Old 11-25-2022, 11:30 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I've had both a side by side and a French door and I greatly prefer the French door. My fridge is a KitchenAid and I love it. The freezer compartment is well designed and there is plenty of room in the freezer compartment and it is easy to access things.

Measure before you buy. Most of the French door fridges are extra tall. I know because I just bought a new French door for a rental and the only French door that would fit under the cabinet did not have ice dispenser through the door. The only way I could get ice through the door that would fit in the space was to buy a side by side. So the tenant is going to have to open the freezer door to get an ice cube from his brand new French door refrigerator..

I like the freezer on top better than I like the side by side.

Old 11-25-2022, 11:30 AM

741 posts, read 1,750,528 times
I am planning to go with Samsung - 27 cu. ft. Large Capacity 3-Door French Door Refrigerator with External Water & Ice Dispenser - Stainless steel ...

How reliable is this... Please advise...

Old 11-25-2022, 12:02 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,564,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I am planning to go with Samsung - 27 cu. ft. Large Capacity 3-Door French Door Refrigerator with External Water & Ice Dispenser - Stainless steel ...

How reliable is this... Please advise...
See my comment above. I think you'll regret buying Samsung.

Old 11-25-2022, 12:43 PM

789 posts, read 368,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Avoid Samsung at all costs! They are very repair prone and expensive to fix. The icemaker inside the refrigerator compartment tends to freeze up constantly. The thru door water drips and leaks. They're very noisy and the cooling coils ice up, causing the circulation fan to make a huge racket and eventually break.
I was coming here to post the same thing - I'll never own another Samsung household appliance

On my Samsung fridge, I ended up replacing the ice maker 3 times due to that freezing issue (got pretty good at it, after the first time)

The leaking ice maker would also cause the bottom freezer drawer to get caked with ice (on the sliders) making opening/closing difficult

I went with LG in 2019 when we bought our new house

I was a little leery though due to issues my mother had with hers when she redid her kitchen, but LG ended up replacing her ice maker under warranty and she never had another problem with it

Old 11-25-2022, 05:47 PM

741 posts, read 1,750,528 times
In the similar price point.... I have options of LG, GE, and Frigidaire...for French door refrigerator type... Please advise which one I can go with...

Old 11-25-2022, 06:05 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
I had a Kitchen Aide side-by-side that was killed off by a lightning strike near my house. It met an early death as it was about 9 years old at the time. I bought a French door model Kitchen Aid (again) and I like it way more than the side-by-side. Somehow you seem to have more room in the freezer. I do not have an ice crushing machine on the front of the French door model and it makes loads of regular ice in the ice container. The ice crusher on the side-by-side was problematic (I knew how to fix it over and over and over and over). PITA

French door wins. I've also grown to like the way it looks. The side-by-side probably looks more sophisticated or svelte or something (but, in turn it's problematic).

Old 11-25-2022, 06:17 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Samsung French door here, for >5 years.

We won't go back to side-by-side.
The width of the fridge and freezer both offer so much flexibility for storage.
Try putting a 20" pizza in a side-by-side. It is easy-peasy in the french door unit, whether fresh or frozen.

Old 11-25-2022, 06:23 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,740,815 times
We have an LG french door model, ice water, cubes or crushed ice through the door. I find it convenient. No issues accessing the freezer, which is large. What I don't like is the full width drawer just above the freezer. It isn't very deep, barely deep enough for s pound of cheese from the deli. Otherwise it's been pretty good. Adjustable shelves, the right hand side is a bit wider than the left for larger items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products