Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 08:05 PM

3,242 posts, read 1,691,658 times

Advertisements

I often hated to go to big markets on the weekends because it brings out the worst in good people. Lots of entitled people blocking shopping aisles. Often people are block traffic to checkouts and even just entering an aisle without knowing they were.

Of all the checkout aisles why do majority of people must crowd around the 1st 2 checkout aisles and not even look down and see that there are multiple checkouts.

Then you have the nice good people who don't want to cut other people line up foolishly behind all the shoppers gathered at the main checkout.

It's just appalling to see the lack of common sense and I'm sure majority of these people are quite pleasant and nice folks once you get to know them,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 08:32 PM

3,381 posts, read 1,978,666 times
My husband loves shopping at Costco but I avoid it for everything except purchasing eyeglasses. Their prices are fantastic on glasses and they'll re-do them at no cost for many different reasons. Great customer service in the Optical Department.

The reason I don't care for Costco shopping is that our kids are grown are out of the house so it's just my husband and me and I can't see buying in bulk for two people even if it comes out cheaper per item. Throwing food out just doesn't sit well with me. Yes I'm a boomer who grew up hearing about starving kids in Africa. Buying too much food knowing some with end up in the trash doesn't sit well with me.

I don't think of the people blocking the aisles as being entitled - to me they just seem lost in their own world. I don't see that kind of behavior in regular supermarkets but it seems like in Costco, many shoppers just get so distracted by the layout and abundance of items that they forget there are other people around. A simple, polite "excuse me" usually gets an embarrassed laugh from people who might be getting in other people's way.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:05 AM

I didn’t say people were entitled blocking checkouts, I said a lot of folks are entitled when they block different aisles and don’t move over when there are lots of people trying to get through and causing bottlenecks. A good considerate person would move their cart to the side and allow others to go through. I was just pointing it out to another lady and she nodded when we see people blocking a busy corridor where it’s 3 way traffic and people had to wait for this person blocking the middle and wouldn’t move.

As for the checkouts, Costco need workers to direct shoppers where the next check out is and that’s how bad people are. If you don’t bother to look at the next available checkout and needed directing then how do these people manage their lives?

I spoke to a Costco worker and she agrees that most people just don’t think or look and I’m sure these people have been to Costco for ages.

I’m ok with people who goes about their lives whatever they choose, but this is very simple stuff. That’s why millennials and gen Z hated shopping or malls.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:12 PM

61,835 posts, read 87,314,674 times
No problem for me - I just say "excuse me" and ask to make space to pass. Don't see that as a problem, and don't expect others to be courteous or have common sense.
If they gather around checkout #1 and 2, that's better for me and means shorter lines and less people waiting at the other checkouts.

I don't understand the constant threads about other people's behavior. Communicate and move on.

Last edited by elnina; 01-14-2023 at 10:22 PM..

Old 01-15-2023, 10:54 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,720,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I often hated to go to big markets on the weekends because it brings out the worst in good people. Lots of entitled people blocking shopping aisles. Often people are block traffic to checkouts and even just entering an aisle without knowing they were.

Of all the checkout aisles why do majority of people must crowd around the 1st 2 checkout aisles and not even look down and see that there are multiple checkouts.

Then you have the nice good people who don't want to cut other people line up foolishly behind all the shoppers gathered at the main checkout.

It's just appalling to see the lack of common sense and I'm sure majority of these people are quite pleasant and nice folks once you get to know them,
Not sure if I would call crowding around the first 2 checkout aisles bringing out the worst in people. I don't think I would call them "entitled". A lot of time it is more like the "herd" mentality. There is a line, the line was there when they got there, so they stay in that line like the rest of the herd. I've seen it many times when someone "breaks" the mentality the rest then go to the next herd mentality and follow the person in front of them.....Of course I use Self Checkout, single line, Employee guiding you to the next open register so never involved in that.

There are other "Costco" behaviors that I could see as much worse.

Stand back from the Rotisserie Chicken when they put out a new batch after being sold out. Especially when someone has to get a specific chicken.

Old 01-16-2023, 09:43 AM

5,660 posts, read 3,169,883 times
I always say shopping at Walmart is death by a thousand paper cuts. It's a zillion small aggravations that accumulate to make a shopping trip a giant aggravation.

1. I always seem to come across the people who meet people they know, with their families, right at the door. 5, 6. 7 people standing right at the door, chatting about whatever, blocking people from coming and going.

2. Giant shopping carts that are so long, when you get to the end of an aisle, you have to approach it like a car approaches an intersection with the line of sight blocked by bushes. Inch up...inch up...inch up...make a go for it and hope nobody was coming.

3. Said aisles have pallets of stuff at the end of the aisles adding to the issue of not being able to see around them.

4. People shopping on one side of an aisle, but their cart is on the other side of the aisle. This is not exclusive to Walmart. Just one more nail in the coffin, so to speak.

5. Flimsy plastic bags. Surely Walmart has the flimsiest plastic bags in the business. Almost everything has to be double bagged. If you don't, you will surely have an accident with at least one item before the item is properly put away.

6. Produce is hit or miss. Sure, the prices are good...IF they have what you're looking for, and IF the produce isn't starting to rot already. But it's a 50/50 shot. It could easily go either way.

7. And now, they have maybe one or two checkout lanes with real people. The rest of them are self-checkout, and I'm not going to use self- checkout for a cart full of groceries. It's too aggravating.

I rarely go to Walmart anymore. I'm too old for that baloney.

Old 01-16-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Not sure if I would call crowding around the first 2 checkout aisles bringing out the worst in people. I don't think I would call them "entitled". A lot of time it is more like the "herd" mentality. There is a line, the line was there when they got there, so they stay in that line like the rest of the herd. I've seen it many times when someone "breaks" the mentality the rest then go to the next herd mentality and follow the person in front of them.....Of course I use Self Checkout, single line, Employee guiding you to the next open register so never involved in that.

There are other "Costco" behaviors that I could see as much worse.

Stand back from the Rotisserie Chicken when they put out a new batch after being sold out. Especially when someone has to get a specific chicken.
A lot of this herd behavior is as close to Zebras running across the plains in Africa and a mix of vultures waiting for the lions to finish eating their hunt and left the scraps for the hyenas to battle out with them.

Well, the most common thing I see at some costcos are the sudden quick gathering of free samples. Then there's new blockade at the egg areas where people are trying to pick the cheapest eggs causing a shortage.

There used to be the paper towel shortage and now it's eggs.

Old 01-20-2023, 12:17 PM

32,669 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Different Costcos are different, I guess. People here will move if you say "excuse me, may I get through" and they spread out at the check-outs, looking for the shortest line.

The annoying bottlenecks are at the free sample carts. Not much good can be said about Covid, but it did away with the free sample carts for a couple of years, which made shopping at Costco more pleasant.

Parking at Costco isn't fun, but at least the check-out lines move swiftly and accurately.

Old 01-20-2023, 12:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,333,263 times
We have no such problem at either of the two Costco stores that we go to, but then we never go on the weekend unless it's right when they open. Most of the time we go when I get off work at 3:00 on a weekday, when it's busy but not crazy. We have not seen any egg shortage, we did once think there was no butter but they had just moved it. We have never seen any blocking at the samples either, in fact most of them seem to be ignored. This is at the Issaquah and Redmond WA stores.

Old 01-21-2023, 11:54 AM

13,025 posts, read 9,548,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
My husband loves shopping at Costco but I avoid it for everything except purchasing eyeglasses. Their prices are fantastic on glasses and they'll re-do them at no cost for many different reasons. Great customer service in the Optical Department.

The reason I don't care for Costco shopping is that our kids are grown are out of the house so it's just my husband and me and I can't see buying in bulk for two people even if it comes out cheaper per item. Throwing food out just doesn't sit well with me. Yes I'm a boomer who grew up hearing about starving kids in Africa. Buying too much food knowing some with end up in the trash doesn't sit well with me.

I don't think of the people blocking the aisles as being entitled - to me they just seem lost in their own world. I don't see that kind of behavior in regular supermarkets but it seems like in Costco, many shoppers just get so distracted by the layout and abundance of items that they forget there are other people around. A simple, polite "excuse me" usually gets an embarrassed laugh from people who might be getting in other people's way.
We went to Costco Saturday morning a week ago and the place was a madhouse. It was every man for himself or get run over by a shopping cart piled high.

I don't think it's necessarily rudeness, but more that the place is so full of people it's hard to navigate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products