Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 09:33 PM

61,916 posts, read 87,450,383 times

Advertisements

Smart appliances could stop working properly after just two years because manufacturers are failing to provide tech updates.
The older they get, the risk of online hacking also increases.
Hardly any brands even came close to matching their expected lifespan with their smart update policies.
A total of 119 brands were approached, about 50% responded with clear information on length of support periods.
Read more here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-64249388
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 06:46 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,412,578 times
What? Why would something that was previously working fine, suddenly quit working just because it "stopped receiving tech updates"? Is this like the y2k bug everyone was freaking out over 25 years ago that turned out to be a big nothing burger?

Well, I guess the only solution is to budget for new appliances every time the updates stop rolling in. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 01-15-2023, 08:59 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,370,897 times
I know with the Radio Thermostat Wi-Fi Thermostats, whose cloud service is closing this May, while they can no longer be controlled remotely, will still work manually. Can't say the same is true for all brands of smart thermostats though if their cloud service goes offline. I know those on Honeywell/Resideo Total Connect Comfort continue to work offline during their occasional outages.

Old 01-15-2023, 11:18 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,979,637 times
That reminds me of the Tovala oven and food delivery that is advertised on TV. I checked into it. When you scan the QR code that comes on a card with the food, the oven has to use wifi to look up the heating instructions. They require a specific wifi frequency (or speed?) which you may or may not have, depending on your modem/router setup. It could go obsolete anytime.

Old 01-15-2023, 01:59 PM

23,617 posts, read 70,547,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
What? Why would something that was previously working fine, suddenly quit working just because it "stopped receiving tech updates"? Is this like the y2k bug everyone was freaking out over 25 years ago that turned out to be a big nothing burger?

Well, I guess the only solution is to budget for new appliances every time the updates stop rolling in. Thanks for the heads up!
The short answer to your first question is "shifting ground." The underlying internet rules get updated, and operating systems are constantly changed to increase security. I wrote software that functioned perfectly for years until changes in the operating system and network protocols broke it.

Two years seems a little short, but far years the standard for obsolescence in tech has been around three years.

Old 01-15-2023, 10:56 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,286,403 times
We've already seen a lot of things that previously worked fine need replacing when technology changed so I'm not going to invite more of that by buying "smart" appliances.

Old 01-15-2023, 11:25 PM

11,684 posts, read 6,115,084 times
The joy of being an early adopter. You get to Beta test the tech and all subsequent growing pains.

Old 01-16-2023, 07:25 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,852,085 times
I don't know why in the world someone would want or need a dishwasher, washing machine or other appliance to be "smart" or connect to the internet. I don't see the possibility of telling a dishwasher to load or unload the dishes or an washing machine to get the dirty clothes or fold the clean ones itself. This is sort of useless technology on appliances. They will still work manually.

Now the smart TV's that is a different story. I thought about that when I bought mine and pretty much knew that they would intentionally stop support and allow them to stop supporting apps to try to get us to buy knew ones. The solution for that is pretty simple right now....just get a roku box or directv stream box or whichever you like and connect it via HDMI. You then have a supported device for your TV and the problem is solved.

The home HVAC thermostats that are smart I don't really get either. About the only use for those would be if you went on vacation, you could set the temperature so the heat or AC doesn't have to run as much while you are gone and then change it to your desired temperature a few hours before you get home but still, I just change it when I get home and while I am bringing luggage in and unpacking it gets back to my normal temperature. There is no reason to be screwing with your thermostat otherwise.

Old 01-16-2023, 09:30 AM

4,064 posts, read 2,152,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I don't know why in the world someone would want or need a dishwasher, washing machine or other appliance to be "smart" or connect to the internet. I don't see the possibility of telling a dishwasher to load or unload the dishes or an washing machine to get the dirty clothes or fold the clean ones itself. This is sort of useless technology on appliances. They will still work manually.

Now the smart TV's that is a different story. I thought about that when I bought mine and pretty much knew that they would intentionally stop support and allow them to stop supporting apps to try to get us to buy knew ones. The solution for that is pretty simple right now....just get a roku box or directv stream box or whichever you like and connect it via HDMI. You then have a supported device for your TV and the problem is solved.

The home HVAC thermostats that are smart I don't really get either. About the only use for those would be if you went on vacation, you could set the temperature so the heat or AC doesn't have to run as much while you are gone and then change it to your desired temperature a few hours before you get home but still, I just change it when I get home and while I am bringing luggage in and unpacking it gets back to my normal temperature. There is no reason to be screwing with your thermostat otherwise.
Thanks! I am old and a bit clueless, but I never saw anything but the need for a smart tv via Roku. Why do I need a smart thermostat? For years we have been able and willing to turn it in and off and adjust manually. Same with dishwasher and washer dryer. If my life is so busy and I am away from home so much that I need to start it before I get home, maybe it’s time to re-evaluate or adjust my life.

I have a friend who is excited about getting a keypad at her front door so she never has to carry a key again. What happens if the batter fails and she can’t get in her home she doesn’t have that oh so inconvenient key on her?

Don’t even see why people need all the smart doorbells and cameras. I don’t open my door to people I don’t know. If a porch pirate steals a package, how is getting a grainy blurred image on video going to get i5 back to me?

I had a meltdown at Home Depot recently because I went in to buy an LED lightbulb for my bathroom vanity and they were all smart, like for $25 each! Like they can be trained to adjust to your waking and sleeping patterns! No thanks!

Old 01-16-2023, 10:26 AM

15,444 posts, read 9,140,340 times
I don't get the appeal of these smart appliances. I just put my dishes in the dishwasher, and push the start button. It's so simple, and it never stops working. I think people who buy this stuff are just looking for problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products