Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 08:31 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times

Advertisements

Stickley has great American made sofas that last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 10:31 AM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
Roche Bobois. My sofa is leather, the thickest I have ever seen. It's firm and comfortable. I also bought it 25 years ago, so I don't know if they are as good as they were back then. It's had daily use and it's just starting to show some wear on the leather. It's on my to do list to go look in their showroom. I'm not excited about what I am seeing online.

Old 06-07-2023, 02:24 PM

182 posts, read 136,478 times
Leather?

Natuzzi is crap.

Look at Hancock & Moore, Whittemorr Sherrill or even Bradington Young.

Old 06-11-2023, 09:30 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Thanks for more comments guys! I posted in post #13 that I bought something. Ordered it March 27th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I need a leather couch as well,when I look at Macy,I am not sure if it is any good ,I think you cant just look at photo,you have to see it in person and sit on it to see how it feels,some have poor support and will hurt your back.
As to reupholstering,it would cost too much.
The last one I bought is from Star Furniture in HOUSTON,they have a for sale t room for sample,returns,closed out,see if you can find one in your city.
Star Furniture is owned by Bershire Hathaway.
Dont buy used ones unless you know the history,it could have bugs,mites embedded .

Right, I agree to never buy used & always see furniture in-perons to sit on it. And I'm sure I'llprobably never reupholster either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I am looking for a new sofa too. I want a leather reclining sofa in a certain color and am having a hard time finding one. My current one I got from Macy's about 6 years ago and the stuffing is shot. I had it restuffed in September and it's flat again. Most stores that I've gone to say this will happen if you sit in the same place on the sofa every day, especially if it's a recliner because there is no good support under the seat due to where the reclining mechanism resides. I can't believe a sofa will only last for 6 years??

...Natuzzi has a great sofa for $8000. Will the Natuzzi last 3-4 times as long as the other two?

People tell me to sit on the other side, but it's just not comfortable moving to that side. My end table, my electrical outlets, everything is on the "broken" side I sit on now. It is causing hip pain so I have to do something fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_J View Post
Leather?

Natuzzi is crap.

Look at Hancock & Moore, Whittemorr Sherrill or even Bradington Young.

Mike_J, thanks for giving those other leather brands. I'll bookmark them.

Natuzzi is the leather brand loveseat I'm replacing now. It's a red leather loveseat & ottoman I got from Mathis Bros in mid-2012. It looked great on the showroom floor back in the store, but I agree that it's not that good. That's the main furniture I sat on DAILY, so quite early into it...I'd guess few yrs in, I had to have it restuffed. But the seat part started ripping up about 6 yrs in, I'd say. I eventually got a protective covering for it, but only in the last 1-2 years. I should have gotten it since day 1. I already got one for new brand new sofa.

Natuzzi was pricey, but the leather is thin...not nearly as thick whatsoever as the leather furniture back at my parents' house, but we don't remember what brand that was nor where we got it. Might have been one of the other brands Mike_J listed. I'd recommend Natuzzi ONLY if you won't sit on the furniture that often.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:20 AM

299 posts, read 224,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
.....Natuzzi was pricey, but the leather is thin...not nearly as thick whatsoever as the leather furniture back at my parents' house, but we don't remember what brand that was nor where we got it. Might have been one of the other brands Mike_J listed. I'd recommend Natuzzi ONLY if you won't sit on the furniture that often.
I absolutely hate how most modern made furniture seems to be made just for the showroom or staging nowadays. I've been trying to find a good quality dresser and sofa for a while but everything is so plastic like or thin in quality. We're looking for a new couch that won't go to hell with a kid coming on the way and can't find anything that'll last over 5 years. Most warranties only go up to 3 years because they know it's crap. So I'm supposed to buy a new couch for a couple grand every 5 years?

My parents got a new lay-z boy couch and it barley lasted 5 years before the leather started wearing out and the stuffing got flattened. They turned around and got their old 1970s couch reupholstered and it's never leaving the front room again. Looks better and feels 10x nicer then any new couch (and ironically back in style) but it's sad quality has fallen this much over the last 20 some years. You really have to hunt for good quality that matches your style and price.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:38 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
I bought mine at Star Furniture,it is customs made leather which buyer does not like the color,so I got it at a very good price long ago.
I have been sitting and later lying on it since 2003 every day ,the only problem is some leather peeled off.
if you want well made leather sofa,go for Italian or quality American.
Scandinavian may look good,not sure of the quality,now they are making them in China

Old 06-11-2023, 10:48 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggznsauce View Post
I absolutely hate how most modern made furniture seems to be made just for the showroom or staging nowadays. I've been trying to find a good quality dresser and sofa for a while but everything is so plastic like or thin in quality. We're looking for a new couch that won't go to hell with a kid coming on the way and can't find anything that'll last over 5 years. Most warranties only go up to 3 years because they know it's crap. So I'm supposed to buy a new couch for a couple grand every 5 years?

My parents got a new lay-z boy couch and it barley lasted 5 years before the leather started wearing out and the stuffing got flattened. They turned around and got their old 1970s couch reupholstered and it's never leaving the front room again. Looks better and feels 10x nicer then any new couch (and ironically back in style) but it's sad quality has fallen this much over the last 20 some years. You really have to hunt for good quality that matches your style and price.

Yep, NOTHING's the quality it used to be anymore. I'm putting my sofa covering on my new sofa right on day 1 to help save it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I bought mine at Star Furniture,it is customs made leather which buyer does not like the color,so I got it at a very good price long ago.
I have been sitting and later lying on it since 2003 every day ,the only problem is some leather peeled off.
if you want well made leather sofa,go for Italian or quality American.
Scandinavian may look good,not sure of the quality,now they are making them in China

No Star Furniture here since I'm in California.

Natuzzi IS Italian furniture & it's still crap sadly as myself & poster above said.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:55 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggznsauce View Post
We're looking for a new couch that won't go to hell with a kid coming on the way and can't find anything that'll last over 5 years. Most warranties only go up to 3 years because they know it's crap. So I'm supposed to buy a new couch for a couple grand every 5 years?
Stickley goes to five years.
I have a fabric Stickley sleeper sofa that looks like new, along with two leather Morris chairs.
All are over 20 years old and held up through the "raising teens" years.

Old 06-11-2023, 12:40 PM

299 posts, read 224,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Stickley goes to five years.
I have a fabric Stickley sleeper sofa that looks like new, along with two leather Morris chairs.
All are over 20 years old and held up through the "raising teens" years.
Unfortunately no showrooms or resellers where I'm at. It's a shame because I would be very interested in several pieces. But from experience I need to see them in person and that is becoming a big hurdle for a lot of these quality brands. Very limited opportunities to see the actual product in person for people in certain markets unless it's a big mass produced brand.

Old 06-11-2023, 05:38 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
may be you can make a trip to a large city and look at the furniture and have them ship to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products