Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 01:14 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times

Advertisements

At my winter home (soon to be sold) here in Southern California, I went to Home Depot to get some drywall for a touch up job before listing. I do not have a vehicle in which to haul 4' X 8' sheets of drywall, and don't need pieces that big nor could I ever lift one. They do not stock 2' X 2' in 1/4" thick drywall which is what I need. So, I asked if they would cut me a 4 X 8 quarter inch slab into four 2 X 4 pieces. They used to do that. He said no. We don't cut drywall sheets anymore.

So, I played the system. I told the guy "I'm old, crippled from a stroke, can hardly walk (I had my cane) and I'm gay as a goose"

bingo! in 2 minutes 3 guys were there perfunctorily slicing that sheet up for me, courteous and friendly, and declined my $5 tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 02:19 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Vanishing phone customer support is driving us all insane

i dread having to call 1-800 numbers because i know what a nightmare it will be.
Back in 1981 a friend of mine in law school said "I love 800 numbers" because in those days most calls had a toll attached to them and all calls had a human who spoke English at the other end. I haven't spoke to this guy in years but I wonder if that's still how he feels.

Old 03-17-2023, 02:25 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
I was going to start a thread on this but you "beat me to the punch."

My wife is managing affairs for her aging stepmother, and spends untold amounts of time on musical hold with "customer service." No matter how "important" the calls are to them, I get the feeling that some barely literate person in Calcutta or Manila is dealing with a problem thousands of miles away.

Back in December I did a random check of my property title status and found that a mortgage that I paid off in July 2020 did not have a satisfaction recorded. After talking to my "personal banker" my matter was "escalated" the matter for handling. I constantly received calls from a different person, invariably in the Philippines. K asked if I cold get a call from someone in the U.S. who spoke English. I always asked them to cut off their babbling about "privacy" to no avail. Eventually the problem was resolved, I hope.

Just the other day Gulf Oil went to a new, "upgraded" app. When it didn't work and I didn't get my promised discount I emailed the provided address. Needless to say my emails went into a black hole. On Tuesday I finally got someone on the phone, who promised a $5 gift card. I asked for a supervisor, was told she "left for the day" and that I would get a call back the next day. I'm still waiting.

More gravely, my doctor's medical group has its call center in Columbia. Their "English" is indecipherable, and involves lives, not mortgage payoffs or failures of pay-at-the-pump to work. If one is stuck in traffic and running late for an appointment there is no way to contact the doctor's office. Why there cannot be a simple, uncomplicated way to reach a party with whom you have an appointment is a question that boggles the mind.

The important issue is why do we tolerate this? Are we sheep?

Old 03-17-2023, 03:30 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm a guy so trying on clothes is a snap for me anyway, but I do try to rehang everything. However a couple of times I've been told not to bother because they have to adjust and rehang everything anyway because the customers don't do it the way the company wants. Don't know if that's everywhere or just the men's stores I was in, but could be a possible explanation for why someone doesn't rehang.
That is true, some stores do require that. In my experience they want them hung and put back on racks in the dressing room for the staff to restock

But what do you do with them if you don't hang them? Leave them on the floor, put them in a neat pile on the bench, throw them over the dressing room door?

I would put them neatly on the bench and probably folded. I'm just hardwired that way, I can't help it.

I'm sure I took a pic of the dressing room when that lady was done with it but it was on an old flip phone.

Old 03-17-2023, 06:11 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
This blows my mind. I assume my mom taught me how to put clothes back on the hangers in dressing rooms because I've always done that. And after working in retail, you may see me putting clothes back on hangers that have fallen on the ground (while I'm shopping). All hangers face the same way. etc

I thought EVERYONE did this because that's all I knew.

But I was working in a clothing shop in an expensive town, and a good customer walked in to check out the spring line. She chatted with us after, not finding anything she liked. I walked into the dressing room to put away the clothes she tried on and they were all.over.the.place. Hangers, clothes, everything. Clothes were inside out, like she peeled them off then flung them over her shoulder. It was like a bomb went off in there and I knew exactly who did it. I never looked at her the same after that. I tried to get her banned from the store lol

But - I didn't take it out on other customers.
My mother used to do this. She'd yank a shirt out from under the pile of folded ones and make them all a mess. Then throw the shirt down and walk off. If I stayed to fold them, she told me, "That's their job." I used to tell her those people had way more to do than follow her around and be her maid.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:28 PM

805 posts, read 539,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Where are they getting these people?

Competnece and expertise is not particularly valued anymore. They have quota checkboxes to fill.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Since 2020 I lost employees who started receiving money from the government, and couldn't lure them back to work, at even pay above what the business could afford, and still make a profit.

I hope you wern't requiring them to get "the jab"

Old 03-17-2023, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I was going to start a thread on this but you "beat me to the punch."

My wife is managing affairs for her aging stepmother, and spends untold amounts of time on musical hold with "customer service." No matter how "important" the calls are to them, I get the feeling that some barely literate person in Calcutta or Manila is dealing with a problem thousands of miles away.

Back in December I did a random check of my property title status and found that a mortgage that I paid off in July 2020 did not have a satisfaction recorded. After talking to my "personal banker" my matter was "escalated" the matter for handling. I constantly received calls from a different person, invariably in the Philippines. K asked if I cold get a call from someone in the U.S. who spoke English. I always asked them to cut off their babbling about "privacy" to no avail. Eventually the problem was resolved, I hope.

Just the other day Gulf Oil went to a new, "upgraded" app. When it didn't work and I didn't get my promised discount I emailed the provided address. Needless to say my emails went into a black hole. On Tuesday I finally got someone on the phone, who promised a $5 gift card. I asked for a supervisor, was told she "left for the day" and that I would get a call back the next day. I'm still waiting.

More gravely, my doctor's medical group has its call center in Columbia. Their "English" is indecipherable, and involves lives, not mortgage payoffs or failures of pay-at-the-pump to work. If one is stuck in traffic and running late for an appointment there is no way to contact the doctor's office. Why there cannot be a simple, uncomplicated way to reach a party with whom you have an appointment is a question that boggles the mind.

Yes.
And it's giong to get worse.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:45 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I hate when they ask: "May I put you on hold?" then without waiting for my reply immediately ...put me on hold.
Even when l scream: "NO!!!"

Old 03-18-2023, 06:21 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

When it comes to our medical care, this kind of outsourcing of calls and shoddy service should not be allowed. They make way too much money not to have staff in their offices who are easily reachable by their patients.

In addition to the nightmare I am having trying to apply for Marketplace insurance, I am also my elderly mother's care giver, and have also had a horrible time coordinating her care and appointments, etc., because her doctor's group has outsourced all of their calls. At this time, they are English-speaking agents, but they are still are poorly trained and unknowledgable, often not able to answer questions, unable to confirm an appointment, or putting me on the "transfer train" from one person to the next. So time consuming and frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products