Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 05:44 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Usually when something appears on USPS as "Carrier Held", one of there things happen.
1. the package sits and eventually gets delivered with a new label. Often if I'm able to peel off the new label, the one under it has defective address info. The bar code got it to the post office but the post office had no usable address to deliver it.
2. The package or label is mangled and comes in a USPS damaged mail pouch or USPS retaped.
3. It goes back to the shipper who does what is necessary to get it properly delivered by a more suitable carrier. I suspect this has to do with the class/price of fee does not match the actual package (think steel fork lift pallet arms being shipped under the class/price of a medium priority flat rate box).
Lack of address doesn't prevent Amazon deliveries. I have received more than a couple of Amazon packages that didn't even have my address on it. I have been left scratching my head trying to figure out how the USPS was able to deliver them. I guess they got the information from either the bar codes or the QR codes on the packages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 06:04 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Lack of address doesn't prevent Amazon deliveries. I have received more than a couple of Amazon packages that didn't even have my address on it. I have been left scratching my head trying to figure out how the USPS was able to deliver them. I guess they got the information from either the bar codes or the QR codes on the packages.
We can either scan the barcode with our mobile if the updates are installed or the supervisor can look up the tracking number. A percentage of carriers and supervisors won't think of trying it and just scan the piece as undeliverable, probably using an insufficient address as the reported reason.

Old 06-06-2023, 06:10 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Usually when something appears on USPS as "Carrier Held", one of there things happen.
1. the package sits and eventually gets delivered with a new label. Often if I'm able to peel off the new label, the one under it has defective address info. The bar code got it to the post office but the post office had no usable address to deliver it.
2. The package or label is mangled and comes in a USPS damaged mail pouch or USPS retaped.
3. It goes back to the shipper who does what is necessary to get it properly delivered by a more suitable carrier. I suspect this has to do with the class/price of fee does not match the actual package (think steel fork lift pallet arms being shipped under the class/price of a medium priority flat rate box).
So in this reporting case "carrier" is not the letter carrier but UPS, USPS or other company?

Old 06-06-2023, 08:41 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
So in this reporting case "carrier" is not the letter carrier but UPS, USPS or other company?
What I have seen, it usually is occurring within the carrier's processing before it reached the local mail carrier. I would say that the vast majority of times, when it happened with USPS, the label is damaged so it's held until a new address label can be affixed so the carrier knows whose door to drop that package.

I once got a carrier held and when it finally arrived, there were two different address labels on the package that was printed together. Based on tracking and the info I got from Amazon, the package was loaded into a bin for UPS to pick up and deliver the entire bin the the USPS regional sort center for my area. Once it arrived and the individual packages were unloaded and scanned into USPS, they had a conflict and had to get AMAZON to tell them which label was correct. Once that was figured out, a new label was affixed and sent to my local carrier's center for delivery.

Old 06-09-2023, 09:32 AM

19,709 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Well, I still paid the extra $ shipping for rush delivery. No excuses, handle your business, Amazon! lol

Old 06-11-2023, 08:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
some items are locally stocked in their warehouses,no need to pay for rush delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products