Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 06:44 AM

5,573 posts, read 6,498,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
I also try to avoid places like Subway that use billing machines that try to guilt-trip you into giving a tip for fast food, and other counter services. They make me uncomfortable.

Tipping makes sense for waiters and waitresses, because they're paid below minimium wage and that can be a pretty demanding job. Tipping people who work the counter in a fast food place seems weird, and there's no guarantee that tip money is even going to them. It might just be going into the corporate profits. But you worry that they'll see if you tipped or not, and maybe hurt their feelings, and AGHHH! I feel like the business is trying to peer pressure customers into giving the business extra money, so I try to avoid going to places that do that.
They are, and is is working with not just you but many others as well. At my age, I have been there, done that and now have life experience and an attitude toward society that I never had back in my younger days. I just cannot wrap my head around how society is being lived now, and I am not going to be part of it.

I don't know how old you are, but if you are still feeling "peer pressure" then it tells me you have yet to find your own convictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 07:22 AM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times
I tip and try to be generous but I have long thought prices should cover salaries. Servers shouldn't have a lower minimum wage that other workers.

It becomes a smoke and mirrors game. I sell you a meal for $10 that is a good price. You tip $2 to the server. In your mind, the meal was 10 and the tip was a separate item for a mere $2. But reality is that the meal was $12, that you might not have wanted to pay otherwise.

Old 05-15-2023, 07:43 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,834,647 times
I tip waiters/waitresses and valets and those sorts of people who provide a service. I do not and will not people who are just doing a job such as at a drive through window or counter service restaurant. It is the businesses place to pay those workers appropriately. A perfect example would be Starbucks. They are counter service and drive through only. There are no service workers in the place. Starbucks makes has high profit margins but yet they now want their customers to tip their employees to avoid having to pay them better wages. Screw that.

Old 05-15-2023, 08:51 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
Yes, everyone is asking now...but that doesn't mean they must receive.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:03 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,424,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
It seems everywhere you go now you're expected to give a tip. For example, when I went to Subway the other day the POS machine asked for a tip when I ordered from TB they asked for one when I get takeout from this BBQ place I go to they ask for a tip.

Even when you order online they want a tip before services are rendered. I don't mind tipping being served at a restaurant, getting a haircut, or getting groceries delivered.

But come on now why should I tip making a purchase at a fast food place or getting takeout? seems like your expected to pay people for doing their jobs instead of the employer. Just my 2 cents.
There was a story on Fox News this morning about that. I didn't hear it well but heard something about self checkout machines asking for a tip. What? I don't tip fast food or takeout places. They don't get paid the way wait staff at restaurants do so tipping is not for me, especially now that they are getting $15 an hour or more. I do tip my hairdresser but a flat tip not a percentage and tip sit down restaurants.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:35 AM

6,095 posts, read 2,715,675 times
I guess now you're expected to tip if you use self-checkout.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/s...eeze-customers

Old 05-15-2023, 11:36 AM

6,095 posts, read 2,715,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Yes, everyone is asking now...but that doesn't mean they must receive.
Some people might be afraid if they don't tip there food might have an extra ingredient in it or might not be made properly

Old 05-15-2023, 04:56 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Some people might be afraid if they don't tip there food might have an extra ingredient in it or might not be made properly
Well, that can happen regardless. And if the meal is paid for at the end such as a sit down restaurant, the cook staff aren't going to know if you tipped or not. As far as FF, I just pay for what I ordered, I don't thing the cashier goes back to the kitchen and says a customer didn't tip. The kitchen staff have no idea who tipped and ordered what and who didn't tip and ordered what. Plus, no tip on the receipt doesn't mean the customer didn't tip the jar on the counter.

So the above argument doesn't hold water.........

Old 05-15-2023, 05:36 PM

2,616 posts, read 1,168,248 times
I can't remember if I already brought this up but Dr. Phil did an episode about a man, who was on the show, said he never tips and doesn't think anyone should. His other guest was a waitress who disagreed, naturally. and brough up how she works hard to earn that tip.

But the No Tip guest said the owners, employers should be paying them a decent salary and adding the same amount of tip for each employee. That way they all get the same and it's fair to every employee.

I treated myself to a chicken salad sandwich at two different diners.

first one cost $10.00 but it was the most delicious sandwich I ever had so I didn't complain about the insane price. I noticed the cashier did not ask me if I wanted to include a tip with the charge card upon paying.

Second one was less money. At this one the cashier asked me if I wanted to include a tip with the charge card.

This tells me some employers are starting to include tips in the prices.

Old 05-15-2023, 05:42 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
I've noticed the same phenomenon with "soft" entry fees (such as to a park, trail system, or other venue). The website or sign will say "donation suggested," yet in translation it's always said that you have to pay it. No, you do not. They're just trying to squeeze some money out of you. Yet most people cave, so it's lucrative.

And then there are those people standing on roadways with signs... An amazing number of people "donate" to them, too. I guess most people have cash to burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products