Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 09:29 PM

14,562 posts, read 23,090,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm not surprised. Burger King has generally been my least favorite of the traditional major fast food joints, though I did love their chicken sandwiches as a kid.
I feel like the quality of Burger King has tanked considerably in recent years. The old Chicken Tendercrisp sandwiches were pretty good and I ordered them pretty frequently. The newer ChicKING (or whatever mess they're calling it) is a substantial downgrade.

I've eaten at a BK about three times in the past year and each time I've been increasingly disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2023, 02:23 AM

4,858 posts, read 457,792 times
Closing up to 400 of their restaurants. That should tell you whether or not there are too many Burger Squat restaurants all around.

Now, about Starbuck's:
https://youtu.be/Mb7qDfIzQRk

Old 06-28-2023, 06:09 AM

19,556 posts, read 9,568,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Marketing? Lol

I run a burger club (our meeting was last night). It is most certainly not marketing. BK is trash compared to the ones I listed.

The “lower tier” FF joints are a major contributor to our obesity epidemic
with their trash food and unnamable chemical ingredients. And while I can’t answer this definitively, I’m confident that the lower tier chains spend far more on advertising than the smaller more regional ones that many people don’t even know exist.

There’s no comparison between In n Out and Burger King. It’s like eating midwest “Eyetalian” food compared to a tiny trattoria in Rome.
Have you ever seen that show, burgers, brews & Q’s with Michael Symon? Those burgers that they serve up are like heart attacks waiting to happen!

Old 06-28-2023, 07:21 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,951,630 times
CNBC had a report on BK a few days ago that pretty much addresses the 400 store closure etc.

Basically the corporate management feels the brand has become stale, stores are aging and dirty (similar to a lot of the observations in this thread) and a refresh is needed.

They close non-performing stores all the time so this year's closures are nothing new. The corporation is investing about $400 million into fixing up the equipment, decor, menu etc. So it will be interesting to see if this pays off.

Old 06-28-2023, 07:25 AM

19,067 posts, read 13,999,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Have you ever seen that show, burgers, brews & Q’s with Michael Symon? Those burgers that they serve up are like heart attacks waiting to happen!
Absolutely, that’s why we have to limit consumption. Not of red meat mind you, but the overall experience of FF. It’s literally every ingredient for obesity and other health problems in one convenient package.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-28-2023, 10:56 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,482,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I am surprised supermarkets have not taken some business away from fast food,as they have tripledecker Bloorhead sandwich for $6.65
I'm sure they have. Some folks who need groceries will just buy one of those (sandwich, fried chicken, pot pie, meatloaf) instead of going to FF joint. Boston Market is still around, but they took a big hit when Costcos and supermarkets started carrying their own rotisserie chicken and sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's not about hiring "quality workers" given it's an entry level position. It's about the training or lack thereof that makes the difference. Beyond that I do believe hard-working, well-trained fast food workers deserve at least $15 an hour and in cities where the cost of living is higher, that $20 level. As proven during the pandemic these are (like or not) necessary jobs this country needs to remain productive.
Somebody who worked at In & Out Burger said that for a new hire's first 3 days, they're NOT at the restaurant! They have some training location they go to so that new employees learn customer service, food safety, and other particulars of how to do their job.

And I agree with the higher wages. It may be "low skill" (and even that's been debatable), but people forget that with these jobs, you pay with the most important commodity... TIME. If a wage is too low, then it's not worth getting out of bed for. I've talked with plenty of classmates and to this day where they have their children quit these jobs because the time it takes to drop them off, and the gas money, just doesn't make it worth it. Yes, it is a good experience, but those kids make up for that by getting better grades, and focusing on their careers. Working FF or MW jobs isn't shabby, but it's hardly a requirement to move up in the job market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Why does BK have to subject us to the insane number of commercials where that guy with the horrific blaccent sings the old "have it your way" song off key? Those things make me want to break my TV.
Because it's catchy, which makes the marketing work. I had roommates who complained "it's that salad b**** again" from the McDonalds TV commercial back around 2002. Say what you will... it worked :\

Old 06-28-2023, 11:02 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,482,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
I'd say all fast food is overpriced these days. I'll only go to BK if I get a coupon which they send tons of. The fact that Mcdonalds now charges $3 for a stinking hash brown shows Fast food isn't affordable anymore.
I haven't been to McD in a long while, but last I checked, it was $2. At $3... dang!! That exceeds inflation (I recall in 2007, hash browns there go for $1, but 50 cents if you hit a sale).

I was hoping to go to McDonalds for their Filet-O-Fish Fridays leading up to lent (at $2.50 per, it was nice), but this year was the first time in awhile they stopped that!

The one nice thing about FF is it's consistent, all around, and has indoor seating. The last part is nice for if you need to get out of the elements (why homeless people like it. It's not just about eating, but getting out of heavy rain, or extreme hot or cold). For family meals, restrooms, and/or wifi. Otherwise, I've been getting much better value out of ordering from food trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
What about CHIPOTLE,Five Guys?
I don't mind fast casual joints. They've gone up in price too, but even though it costs x2 as much vs. an entree at BK or McD, I'm still getting more than twice the value there. FF is just glorified frozen food. These days, I'd rather just go to a place like Grocer Outlet, spend the same or less amount of money, and get something that's tastier and healthier. Only issue is you need to make it yourself, but it's not difficult to microwave it (save for some fancier instructions like wrapping it in a paper towel, or in "food grade paper".

Old 06-28-2023, 02:43 PM

6,118 posts, read 2,741,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I haven't been to McD in a long while, but last I checked, it was $2. At $3... dang!! That exceeds inflation (I recall in 2007, hash browns there go for $1, but 50 cents if you hit a sale).

I was hoping to go to McDonalds for their Filet-O-Fish Fridays leading up to lent (at $2.50 per, it was nice), but this year was the first time in awhile they stopped that!

The one nice thing about FF is it's consistent, all around, and has indoor seating. The last part is nice for if you need to get out of the elements (why homeless people like it. It's not just about eating, but getting out of heavy rain, or extreme hot or cold). For family meals, restrooms, and/or wifi. Otherwise, I've been getting much better value out of ordering from food trucks.

I don't mind fast casual joints. They've gone up in price too, but even though it costs x2 as much vs. an entree at BK or McD, I'm still getting more than twice the value there. FF is just glorified frozen food. These days, I'd rather just go to a place like Grocer Outlet, spend the same or less amount of money, and get something that's tastier and healthier. Only issue is you need to make it yourself, but it's not difficult to microwave it (save for some fancier instructions like wrapping it in a paper towel, or in "food grade paper".
The whole premise of fast food to me seemed affordability. when a combo now costs $15 at your average burger/fast food joint it's no longer affordable and you can't feed a family for $20 like you used to.

They do send deals in the mail from time to time which is the only time I'll go. BK, Arby's, KFC have heavily been sending fliers the past few months. Seems their inflated prices aren't bringing in the traffic.

As for Hash Browns, I get the 10 pack at Wally for $3 and they are about the same as you get at Micky Dees.

Old 06-28-2023, 03:25 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,117,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I'm sure they have. Some folks who need groceries will just buy one of those (sandwich, fried chicken, pot pie, meatloaf) instead of going to FF joint. Boston Market is still around, but they took a big hit when Costcos and supermarkets started carrying their own rotisserie chicken and sides.
If you live near a Boston Market you are lucky. I haven't seen one in about 15 years. I used to eat there all the time when it was still Boston Chicken. It was amazing food. Then McDonald's took it over and gutted it, and shut down all the good locations. Costcos and supermarkets had nothing to do with the demise of Boston Market. Supermarkets have sold rotisserie chicken since at least the 1970s. But supermarket rotisserie chicken is nothing like what Boston Market sells. That stuff can be days old.

Old 06-28-2023, 03:40 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,117,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
The whole premise of fast food to me seemed affordability. when a combo now costs $15 at your average burger/fast food joint it's no longer affordable and you can't feed a family for $20 like you used to.

They do send deals in the mail from time to time which is the only time I'll go. BK, Arby's, KFC have heavily been sending fliers the past few months. Seems their inflated prices aren't bringing in the traffic.

As for Hash Browns, I get the 10 pack at Wally for $3 and they are about the same as you get at Micky Dees.
Yeah, I agree with the price problem. If Burger King wants to get their sales back were they were, they need to bring back the 2 fo $6 deals. But like the other chains they seem to be going for the premium food market instead of the fast cheap food market.

But I guess that works with younger people who think that fast food is great food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products