Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 06:41 AM

15,595 posts, read 7,644,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Well, the computer is one thing (hardware), what it runs is another (software). Many folks discover that their "obsolete" old computers run GREAT when LINUX is installed. And on far less DRAM.
(Ex: UBUNTU requires : 2 GHz dual-core processor or better. 4 GB system memory. 25 GB of free hard drive space. Internet access is helpful.)

FWIW - though M$ Windows may dominate the personal computer market, Linux (kernel) dominates everywhere else : _ _top 500 supercomputers _ _ servers (Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc) _ _ Android _ _ Mac OS _ _ Chromebooks _ _ Automobile computers _ _ smart phones _ _ NASA’s International Space Station switched to Linux due to the operating system’s reliability.

And most if not all the software is free and open source. Office suites. Applications. Widgets. Utilities. Software developer kits (SDK).
Search on any computer language, and you're bound to find a free SDK for it that runs under Linux.

>>> The DRAWBACKS <<<
<> Proprietary drivers that aren’t happy with open-source licensing (ex: nVidia) <>
<> Proprietary programs that don’t like to be source code and compiled by the user (or worse, modified!). So they are installed in binary format (already compiled)<>
<> The use of shared libraries may require updates, as changes propagate <>
<> Good / Bad : multitude of desktops and shells, graphical user interfaces, and varying quality of instructions (many flavors, many options) <>
<> It does not behave like Windows, nor is its file structure anything like it. In time, you learn why that is a very very good thing. *** <>
<> You can’t get rich selling free software. <>
- - - - - -
(*** If you put your /home directory on a separate partition, you can reload the OS, and because all of your dotfiles are in your /home directory, when you fire up your various applications, they'll find all of your settings, preferences, and data. You can migrate your /home directory to any new installation, and have all your preferences, customizations, etc., ready to go. )
- - - - - -
This guide for non-technical users can help you get started.
https://linuxiac.com/what-is-linux-operating-system/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAFMJ1LnQu8
That's all well and good until your employer says you must have Windows to work remotely.

I've played with Linux. It does nothing for me, so I stick with Windows. Currently on Win 10, which has been rock solid. I may update to Win 11 soon. The key with Windows is to pay for an OEM install that has no bloatware or vendor provided "upgrades" and applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 07:08 AM

1,224 posts, read 552,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Gateway is normally better than Asus, right? Which would you get? I just needed to get a simple laptop. TIA!

Gateway 15" AMD Ryzen 3 4GB RAM 128GB SSD Laptop for $200
https://www.hsn.com/products/gateway...aptop/21594025

~ OR ~

ASUS Vivobook Go 15" Laptop Intel Celeron 4GB 128GB eMMC with 1 yr MS365 for $220
https://www.qvc.com/asus-vivobook-go...RODFEED&TZ=EST
Have not owned either brand. I have a Lenovo which about 12 years old and it's been great. After my desktop crashed, about 3 years ago, I bought a used Sony Vaio laptop for $50.00 that is also about 12 years old I back up all my work stuff to the Sony.

Old 03-10-2024, 05:36 PM

8,309 posts, read 3,838,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Well, the computer is one thing (hardware), what it runs is another (software). Many folks discover that their "obsolete" old computers run GREAT when LINUX is installed. And on far less DRAM.
(Ex: UBUNTU requires : 2 GHz dual-core processor or better. 4 GB system memory. 25 GB of free hard drive space. Internet access is helpful.)

FWIW - though M$ Windows may dominate the personal computer market, Linux (kernel) dominates everywhere else : _ _top 500 supercomputers _ _ servers (Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc) _ _ Android _ _ Mac OS _ _ Chromebooks _ _ Automobile computers _ _ smart phones _ _ NASA’s International Space Station switched to Linux due to the operating system’s reliability.

And most if not all the software is free and open source. Office suites. Applications. Widgets. Utilities. Software developer kits (SDK).
Search on any computer language, and you're bound to find a free SDK for it that runs under Linux.

>>> The DRAWBACKS <<<
<> Proprietary drivers that aren’t happy with open-source licensing (ex: nVidia) <>
<> Proprietary programs that don’t like to be source code and compiled by the user (or worse, modified!). So they are installed in binary format (already compiled)<>
<> The use of shared libraries may require updates, as changes propagate <>
<> Good / Bad : multitude of desktops and shells, graphical user interfaces, and varying quality of instructions (many flavors, many options) <>
<> It does not behave like Windows, nor is its file structure anything like it. In time, you learn why that is a very very good thing. *** <>
<> You can’t get rich selling free software. <>
- - - - - -
(*** If you put your /home directory on a separate partition, you can reload the OS, and because all of your dotfiles are in your /home directory, when you fire up your various applications, they'll find all of your settings, preferences, and data. You can migrate your /home directory to any new installation, and have all your preferences, customizations, etc., ready to go. )
- - - - - -
This guide for non-technical users can help you get started.
https://linuxiac.com/what-is-linux-operating-system/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAFMJ1LnQu8
MacOS (and iOS for that matter) is not Linux. Not sure where you got that from...

Depending on the job requirements, the free productivity suites you mentioned may not be sufficient. For example, OpenOffice is in no way comparable to MS Office in terms of features.

Old 03-10-2024, 05:38 PM

8,309 posts, read 3,838,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That's all well and good until your employer says you must have Windows to work remotely.

I've played with Linux. It does nothing for me, so I stick with Windows. Currently on Win 10, which has been rock solid. I may update to Win 11 soon. The key with Windows is to pay for an OEM install that has no bloatware or vendor provided "upgrades" and applications.
OEM versions of Windows require the purchase of hardware. You cannot legally use it when purchased by itself. You need a retail version of Windows for that.

The good thing is that almost all Windows laptops already come with OEM windows.

Old 03-25-2024, 03:32 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,077,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Gateway is normally better than Asus, right? Which would you get? I just needed to get a simple laptop. TIA!

Gateway 15" AMD Ryzen 3 4GB RAM 128GB SSD Laptop for $200
https://www.hsn.com/products/gateway...aptop/21594025

~ OR ~

ASUS Vivobook Go 15" Laptop Intel Celeron 4GB 128GB eMMC with 1 yr MS365 for $220
https://www.qvc.com/asus-vivobook-go...RODFEED&TZ=EST
As a IT Tech, these 2 are total trash. 4 GB RAM , omg it will be a slug.

Old 04-14-2024, 07:07 PM

12,804 posts, read 15,082,426 times
Thanks guys! Had gotten the Gateway this time (never had a Gateway before). It's good for what husband uses it for & likes it.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

7,811 posts, read 6,437,225 times
I hooked up a Linux computer to display on our TV. with a cordless keyboard, I could use it sitting in my recliner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products