Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 10:47 PM

1,888 posts, read 843,517 times

Advertisements

What is the point of sous vide? I don't make it anymore, but I cooked mine in the crockpot, carrots & potatoes on bottom, cabbage on top, meat in the middle, perfect every time. I just bought the ones that were on sale around St. Patrick's & froze like someone else said.Why bother with brining it yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 09:56 AM

12,098 posts, read 8,494,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post

Why bother with brining it yourself?
People were saying they didn't like the quality of the meat. If you corn your own beef you have control over that.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:00 AM

32,706 posts, read 48,291,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
You guys crack me up. Nobody thinks of making their own these days........
I'm not going to argue about the number of Americans who do not cook. There are a whole big bunch of them. it's even possible that it is the majority of Americans who either do not cook, or cook very little.

But as for "nobody thinks of making their own", I am on a couple of bacon and meat curing websites and a couple of homesteading sites, and some of those sites have over 100,000 members. One of my homesteading groups has 1.1 million members. ALL of those people think of making their own, and that is a very small fraction of the people in this country who do, because I am most certainly not connected to all of them.

Veering slightly off topic, it is a well established practice in this country to buy the corned beef on sale after St Paddy's day and to turn it into pastrami.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:07 AM

32,706 posts, read 48,291,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
People were saying they didn't like the quality of the meat. If you corn your own beef you have control over that.
You can also use more of the expensive spices to get a stronger richer flavor. Commercial companies emphasis salt and are skimpy on the spices. They save 20 cents in the manufacture and you get a weak flavored corned beef brisket. At home you can use better meat and better spices and get a much better product for your family to enjoy.

And I do buy the stuff at the super market and my family eats it just fine. It's easy for the cook. But they like the home cured better. Bacon is a different story. They will no longer eat commercial bacon. Home cured bacon or nothing.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:48 AM

19,884 posts, read 22,803,339 times
Quote:
What is the point of sous vide? I don't make it anymore, but I cooked mine in the crockpot, carrots & potatoes on bottom, cabbage on top, meat in the middle, perfect every time. I just bought the ones that were on sale around St. Patrick's & froze like someone else said.Why bother with brining it yourself?
You can make the flavor profile what you want. I like using juniper and heavier spices particularly brining Canadian goose breasts.

There's only two ways I like wild Canadian goose- brined and smoked as pastrami or ground 50/50 with bacon to make goose sliders.

I've also made corned beef with the same brine recipe, but frankly with all the goose I get it makes no sense. I just smoke the brisket for BBQ.

Old 05-13-2024, 11:40 AM

23,645 posts, read 70,618,274 times
Quote:
That is one variation, and a very good basic one for an easy stew. If it is perfect every time, for some of us, that means it isn't yet perfect. It means more thought and experimentation is needed to come up with something even better.

Did you know that potatoes need a different length of time to be cooked yet still not be "fall apart in your mouth?" Adding items to a stew based upon timing can also give a "perfect" stew that is different and showcases the various flavors and textures.

We all experience food differently. There is room for a diversity of what is worth doing or not.

With corned beef, I'm interested in it as a base for a sandwich - similar to pastrami, but wanting to go for something a little different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products