Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 08:16 PM

8,094 posts, read 4,772,351 times

Advertisements

WalMart was the first company I knew of to install "Perpetual Inventory" on their registers, which (in its simplest form) keeps track of how many of a certain item is scanned at the registers, then replenishes automatically with computerized ordering. I learned of it in the late-1990s, but they must have come up with it much earlier. The line from managers was that every cashier was in charge of ordering.

At stores (WM and others) who have PI or a version of it, they usually have a person or persons who do try to keep up with counts on key items in order to keep the counts correct. I did this for a certain orange-themed, home improvement retailer in the mid-2000s, where we'd receive pages of "cycle counts" every week where we would find the items, count them, and make sure the counts matched the computer. Those had to be completed on top of normal orders and doing shelf tags for departments. So there is usually someone trying to keep counts correct, but it's certainly not an easy job. High-volume Wal Mart stores are akin to scenes from the French Revolution on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2024, 08:28 PM

19,668 posts, read 9,626,332 times
At one of our grocery stores they have a robot venturing up and down the aisles. We were told that it is for detecting wet floors. I am wondering if one of those can be programmed to look for empty shelf’s and record what is needed to be restocked?

Old 05-22-2024, 01:39 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 20 days ago)

16,147 posts, read 21,288,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
WalMart was the first company I knew of to install "Perpetual Inventory" on their registers, which (in its simplest form) keeps track of how many of a certain item is scanned at the registers, then replenishes automatically with computerized ordering. I learned of it in the late-1990s, but they must have come up with it much earlier. The line from managers was that every cashier was in charge of ordering.

At stores (WM and others) who have PI or a version of it, they usually have a person or persons who do try to keep up with counts on key items in order to keep the counts correct. I did this for a certain orange-themed, home improvement retailer in the mid-2000s, where we'd receive pages of "cycle counts" every week where we would find the items, count them, and make sure the counts matched the computer. Those had to be completed on top of normal orders and doing shelf tags for departments. So there is usually someone trying to keep counts correct, but it's certainly not an easy job. High-volume Wal Mart stores are akin to scenes from the French Revolution on the weekends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
At one of our grocery stores they have a robot venturing up and down the aisles. We were told that it is for detecting wet floors. I am wondering if one of those can be programmed to look for empty shelf’s and record what is needed to be restocked?
The retailer I work for manually looks for empty holes to adjust for theft on a regular basis (certainly not every day, not even close, and not every item, only the "zero shelf stock" -omg the manpower THAT would take!), but it requires also checking the stockroom areas, the 'return to stock' bins, the 'damaged goods' bins that haven't yet been processed, and all the multiple locations of any given item. I suppose that at some future time that might be something they could program a robot to do, but I would imagine that as of right now it's probably costly to the point it's not something companies want to invest in. Kind of like the electronic shelf tag idea that never got off the ground because it was too cost prohibitive, cheaper to have grunt labor slap up new tags with every price that changes.

Old 05-22-2024, 05:53 AM

19,668 posts, read 9,626,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post

This is a nice idea but is it recording sizes of shirts and sizes of pants too ? I get that occasionally a large size pair may end up somewhere at the bottom of the area where size small goes. However I have made multiple trips for other things and just decide to look for my size in the pants I’m looking for in case they got more stuff delivered. Nope. Still quite a few small, med, and xxl or xxxl. Nothing in between. A couple days go by and spouse wants to go to Sam’s club or Costco. While up in that area we’ll stop in Walmart. I’ll get a few of my fave food items (if there) and still go take a peak for those pants. Nope. Sure, I might be able to find it online but what’s the harm in carrying them in the store? If they can carry about 20 pairs of these in various other sizes as well? I get that same problem with Costco too. On many an occasion, I’ve left comment cards to hat effect. Other times, there’s no comment cards or writing tool where the box is located. If someone who worked weren’t super busy, I’d definitely ask.I’ve yet to see the one Costco get diced onions for hot dogs or hot dog relish.

Old 05-22-2024, 06:10 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 20 days ago)

16,147 posts, read 21,288,283 times
Ah, softlines (clothing, shoes, etc) can be a pain. It's been a while since I've worked any of those but they used to only come in a size "assortment". The popular sizes that have sold out first can't be reordered alone, so either the whole assortment gets reordered or none of it gets reordered.
Seasonal items like shorts may only generate one reorder during the season or may be a one time buy.

I have four walmarts in my general area, I may sometimes have to hit up all four of them to find a particular size in a style/color I want. Frankly it's often easier just to look online.

Old 05-22-2024, 07:17 AM

1,101 posts, read 623,569 times
Our Walmart is very good here in Little Rock. Before this I lived in Tucson, never had any problem finding what I wanted there either. These things are independently managed, and that's always where the problems come in if someone is asleep at the wheel. I try not to buy clothes at these stores though, they always seem wildly overpriced for what you get, which tends to be low quality. I'm a committed thrift store shopper, I find really good clothes at those places and the money goes to a good cause.

Old 05-22-2024, 07:44 AM

50,484 posts, read 64,364,027 times
I don’t do Walmart, but I realize they are a source for some things. What I would do is buy online and have it delivered. This would only be after I’ve checked Amazon Prime for the item.

Old 05-22-2024, 08:24 AM

7,216 posts, read 4,901,808 times
Walmart is always a huge frustration, from the second you get into the parking lot and try to find a parking space, to checkout, when you have the choice of long line or longer line. And in between, when trying to find what you went there for. And don’t bother asking for help. No one works in that department.

Old 05-22-2024, 09:51 AM

6,456 posts, read 2,774,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie11 View Post
It doesn't matter what day of the week or what time of day. It doesn't matter what I am planning on buying.

Made another trip this morning - need 2 bottles of something. They have 1. Wasted trip again.

I have tried to search for how to check if items are available in stock at the store before I go but everything I have read online about how to do it does not work and/or is not an option.

I have the store selected, it NEVER shows in stock or out of stock. It lets me put in in my cart, even selecting availability doesn't help.

Can someone explain how you can find out for sure online before wasting a trip? I would have and could have driven 20 miles in the opposite direction to the 2nd closest Walmart had I known. So frustrating.

Thanks.
A couple of questions.

If they never have anything you are looking for, why do you keep going there?

Willing to travel 20 miles just to get two bottles of something seems to be a bit wasteful, did you look for other items as well and did they have those? If so seems like your "never" might be a bit of an exaggeration.

But to answer your question, when you search for the item I would make sure you select "Today" for availability and In-Store pickup. I would also order it on-line and wait for the confirmation that your order is ready for pickup.

Old 05-22-2024, 11:27 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,061,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
If they never have anything you are looking for, why do you keep going there?

Exactly.

I've been going to our Walmarts for many years and never have these kinds of issues. I find what I need most of the time. If I don't find what I need at Wally World, I go down to Kroger or Target or Kohl's or somewhere else that has the same things. It's just not that big of a deal.

Overall, people in my area are friendly and helpful when asked. Parking is the same no matter where I go so I see no reason to complain about that. I love self-checkout and everywhere has that. Easy peasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products