Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-22-2024, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Mountains of Oregon
17,653 posts, read 22,724,871 times
Reputation: 14438

Advertisements

IN the town we shop in, Walmart is 1 block from Fred Meyer. If Walmart doesn't have 1, or a few items i'm looking for, Fred Meyer usually will have these items, & vice versa...
It usually works out fine. & they both have the CPScurb pickup service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2024, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
15,527 posts, read 9,228,623 times
Reputation: 20509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
And who is supposed to stroll the isles? Grocery is a tight business. There is no extra pair of hands.
The General Manager. A store manager who sites in his office and doesn't even walk through his store to see if the shelves are stocked or not is just a bad manager who doesn't give an F...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2024, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
15,527 posts, read 9,228,623 times
Reputation: 20509
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
First, you are wrong on expiration dates being two years for most food items. Breads, you might know. Crackers? Yep, they go rancid in a fairly short time period. Beers go skunky, wines that aren't of certain qualities can age poorly. Frozen foods get freezer burn.
Frozen foods are generally two years. You may see an expiration date less than 2 years in the store, but thats because it's been in the distribution system that long. Most of the dates will probably be for 12 - 18 months. Because it was packaged 6 to 12 months ago. See for yourself the next time you go shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2024, 04:22 AM
 
30,334 posts, read 11,962,967 times
Reputation: 18786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
This is not rocket science. Somebody should be doing a walkthrough of the store. When they see empty shelves, they should check the store room. If the item is not in the store, then they need to order it. Inventory Control has always been a problem for stores. That's why managers need to manually take inventory at regular intervals.
Walmart has a crew that comes in 7 nights a week to unload the trucks and stock the shelves. Considering the size of the stores they have very little inventory in the "store room" as you call it. Their inventory is in a central warehouse not in the back of the store. However you can always ask an associate to check if your item is in the back because they do keep some things there. Also look up. The overstock is usually on the very top shelf. Reality is if its not on the shelf it probably not in the back. And it could be a supply chain problem not a store ordering problem. And they have people all day long restocking the shelves of items they do have extra of in the back. They are not oblivious to items being out on the shelf like you think they are. And many categories are not stocked by Walmart workers but by people who work for various companies. That includes soft drinks, beer, chips, bread, snack items, etc.

One way around all of this is to order on their app. I believe if you spend $35 you can get it delivered free and you can check other Walmarts in the area to find one that has your item. Stock up and buy extra so you won't need to worry about it being out of stock for a while.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 05-23-2024 at 04:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2024, 06:22 AM
 
17,603 posts, read 16,745,124 times
Reputation: 29507
Just use the online App to order the items that you need for pickup at your store. If they don't have the items, they will either get them from a nearby store or they'll order them in for you.

You'll get a notification that they're ready, you use the app to let them know when you are on your way and you can just drive over to the pick up area and they'll bring the items right out to your car. If you then want to do a little browsing around the store you can find a parking spot and go inside.

That's what I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2024, 06:40 AM
 
3,672 posts, read 1,631,523 times
Reputation: 5111
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
First, you are wrong on expiration dates being two years for most food items. Breads, you might know. Crackers? Yep, they go rancid in a fairly short time period. Beers go skunky, wines that aren't of certain qualities can age poorly. Frozen foods get freezer burn.

I designed and wrote software for inventory control in movie theatres back as early as the 1980s, even writing an article on use in the major industry publication. I'll agree that inventory control is not rocket science. Done properly, it can be HARDER than rocket science. With rocket science there are fixed parameters, well known formulae, known materials and their characteristics, known orbital mechanics.

In inventory control in a store or movie theatre, you have "THE PUBLIC." If you think you can figure out and reliably predict public wants, needs, and quirks in an environment that is constantly shifting, you are out of touch with reality.

A small example: Junior Mints have a short shelf life - in the real world, six months is about it. They can go longer with proper air-conditioned storage and careful handling, but in a candy case they need to be rotated out within about a month or month and a half. Otherwise, they clump into a mass, go stale, stain the box, or other issues happen. You open a blockbuster film and they sell quickly. The next blockbuster fails and your inventory control algorithm fails and you are stuck with twenty cases of Junior Mints that WILL decay.

You adjust the algorithm and you periodically are out of Junior Mints, but are actually making more money with lower losses. That is the way of business.

Managers in big stores don't wander the aisles too much
. They have far too much on their plate as is. What does happen is an outside auditing company comes in and does an independent audit on a fairly regular basis. With luck, that interfaces with the inventory software and discrepancies are found.

Then there is common sense. Say that Wally Widgets are very popular and 10 cases sell per quarter. The audit comes back short 4 cases. You are fairly sure that is from customer theft of that item.

Your job stability requires minimal shrinkage, and your commission is based on profits AFTER losses are deducted. Do you work extra hard to keep Wally Widgets on the shelf? Or do you make them a little harder to find or steal? There is a reason diamond rings are under glass.
In all the years of going to my local Walmart I never say a manager except once. They hide somewhere. I knew this was a once-in-a-lifetime event so I asked him a question about a refund or something.

That was years ago and have never seen a manager since. They hide somewhere. Employees however are always very helpful. However, now they have workers walking around pushing large collection bins to gather pick up orders. I have to get out of their way constantly. And of course products are on display in the middle of aisles making it harder to walk in the aisle.

As for finding the groceries what I want I have to go to all the stores around me to get what I want. Only at Publix can I get the Silicia brand of lemon and lime juice. etc etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2024, 09:47 AM
 
23,665 posts, read 70,718,222 times
Reputation: 49457
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
In all the years of going to my local Walmart I never say a manager except once. They hide somewhere. I knew this was a once-in-a-lifetime event so I asked him a question about a refund or something.

That was years ago and have never seen a manager since. They hide somewhere. Employees however are always very helpful. However, now they have workers walking around pushing large collection bins to gather pick up orders. I have to get out of their way constantly. And of course products are on display in the middle of aisles making it harder to walk in the aisle.

As for finding the groceries what I want I have to go to all the stores around me to get what I want. Only at Publix can I get the Silicia brand of lemon and lime juice. etc etc
LOL! Yeah, given staffing turnover these days and employee attitudes, I think a few may be hidden away privately crying and thinking about becoming prison wardens as an easier job.

I don't know what the corporate culture is at WM these days. Back in the 1980s, I had a theater manager briefly do a stint there and it sounded more like a cult than a business. Somehow, I doubt that lasted.

I have to chuckle at the "manager not on the floor" complaints. Those almost invariably come from clueless corporate overlords and people who have never held a general manager position. I worked for a few theatre circuits over the years, and the absolute worst for making the job impossible was General Cinema. I had a DM in the same building that would sometimes come down from on high to complain that I wasn't on the floor greeting customers, while at the same time handing me a sheaf of paperwork to complete. Then, when the opportunity came to lighten the workload by use of computers, the company chose a system where every ---- figure in the main report had to be MANUALLY re-entered into the teleprocessing module. Yeah, I wasn't greeting customers 90% of the time, between that and making deposits every half hour during busy periods, customers got to see me sweep the tills and walk in and out of the door.

I'm not saying every business is like that; while GCC was going bankrupt from beancounter overload, I had a chance to overhaul and streamline the paperwork for another circuit, as well as institute drop safes and armored car pickup. Managers DID have a chance to be on the floor, much like in the glory days when staffing wasn't "value engineered" out of existence.

My overall point is that in a large operation there are some key tasks that only the GM can do, either by dictate from above or because of the need to maintain tight control. IF a company pays well enough for competent assistants and section managers, AND staffing issues are minimal, AND there is low enough turnover that people understand their jobs, AND there isn't time spent on side tasks, a GM can be on the floor. There is a problem with that as well, however. -

I had been tasked to manage one brand new high grossing theater that had been a complete disaster of incompetence and bring it into line. I worked my butt off, fired the incompetents, hire new and did training, got everything working perfectly just in time for the summer rush. The opening weekend of three blockbuster films, I was standing in the lobby watching for any glitch, anticipating the various needs and timing, available to any customer, and in walks the new director of operations. He sees me giving hand signals and nods to various employees, and the next week saddles me with a massive payroll cut to reduce staffing.

When you are a general manager there are times you cannot win. It takes a lot of teamwork at all levels to make a store run smoothly. Right now, I'm laughing at the WM bean counters attempts to eliminate cashiers and replace all of them with self checkout. The pie on their clown faces is still dripping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2024, 09:44 AM
 
8,149 posts, read 4,041,495 times
Reputation: 15278
You might enjoy reading this article titled:

Quote:
A Day in the Life of a Walmart Manager Who Makes $240,000 a Year

Nichole Hart walks 20,000 steps as she searches for super glue, encounters a disappointed Snoop Dogg fan and juggles staff; ‘The hardest thing is the uncertainty’
https://www.wsj.com/business/retail/...hare_permalink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2024, 04:45 AM
 
Location: U.S.A.
19,811 posts, read 20,397,426 times
Reputation: 29254
I just order online and have them ship it to me. I have 3 Walmarts within a 5 mi radius of the house, but why bother..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Sunny South Florida
8,094 posts, read 4,772,351 times
Reputation: 10095
Another feature of online inventory software is something called an "Item Movement Report" that is generated periodically by the system. If for example a random item sells 3 per day on average but suddenly has a period (several days) of zero sales, the item ends up on such a report, where an employee in inventory management has to investigate and/or correct the issue. Zero in-stock/zero sales items do not go in this report, only items they believe to be in stock but not selling for some reason.
Sometimes the computer will say the item is on hand but in fact the store received something else in error, which means the computer believes the item is in stock when it isn't. Until someone corrects the mistake, the computer won't know to order more. I'm sure a WM supercenter would have such a report being generated daily, so if certain items remain out of stock for weeks, those employees either are pencil-whipping their IMR and just prolonging the problem, or there is a long-term out-of-stock situation that they can't really do anything about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top