Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 01:48 PM

258 posts, read 288,813 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter what day of the week or what time of day. It doesn't matter what I am planning on buying.

Made another trip this morning - need 2 bottles of something. They have 1. Wasted trip again.

I have tried to search for how to check if items are available in stock at the store before I go but everything I have read online about how to do it does not work and/or is not an option.

I have the store selected, it NEVER shows in stock or out of stock. It lets me put in in my cart, even selecting availability doesn't help.

Can someone explain how you can find out for sure online before wasting a trip? I would have and could have driven 20 miles in the opposite direction to the 2nd closest Walmart had I known. So frustrating.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2024, 03:06 PM

15,170 posts, read 27,899,776 times
No idea, sorry - I don't do Walmart.

Old 05-20-2024, 03:10 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,377,397 times
I've seen different behavior on the Walmart website as to 'in stock' or not. Also the location of where items are in the store. I think what you see from that website may be 'tailored' by the specific store. Some keep up better than others.

Old 05-20-2024, 03:26 PM

22,686 posts, read 47,890,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie11 View Post
It doesn't matter what day of the week or what time of day. It doesn't matter what I am planning on buying.

Made another trip this morning - need 2 bottles of something. They have 1. Wasted trip again.
Sounds like it is time to shop elsewhere...

Old 05-20-2024, 03:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,749 posts, read 81,656,775 times
We never lived near enough to regularly go to Walmart, but have made it a fun hobby when visiting other places. Eventually we found one that we do go to about every other month, about a 45 minute drive away. The entertainment value varies greatly, as some will clearly have the "people of Walmart" oddball customers, others perfectly normal. What we have noticed though is the huge variety in products and availability. It seems that the local store managers will stock what sells there, so not all stores have the same items, and the demographics play a big part.

Stopping by a Walmart Supercenter in a lower income city like Redding CA (Median Household income $67,323) will have a lot more big displays of cheap foods, a huge gun/ammo department, and very little healthy food items. Many sections, even makeup and toiletries are in locked up cabinets requiring an employee to open them. A lot of items sell out before they can be replenished, so there are empty shelves.

The one we go to in Monroe WA, (median income $99,713) will have sugar-free foods, organic produce, and more farm animal (horse and chicken) related feed and products, better meats and nothing is locked up except for cell phones and other expensive electronics. Most interesting, you will see employees refilling shelves during the day, so they are never out of anything.

Old 05-20-2024, 05:26 PM

23,653 posts, read 70,660,389 times
Quote:

I have tried to search for how to check if items are available in stock at the store before I go but everything I have read online about how to do it does not work and/or is not an option.

I have the store selected, it NEVER shows in stock or out of stock. It lets me put in in my cart, even selecting availability doesn't help.

Can someone explain how you can find out for sure online before wasting a trip? I would have and could have driven 20 miles in the opposite direction to the 2nd closest Walmart had I known. So frustrating.

Thanks.
Keeping a full inventory is difficult under the best of circumstances in any store. The item has to get sold before expiration date, which limits how many can be stocked, the inventory control may reject large stocking of some items, and then you have "shrinkage" - which no inventory control can account for. Walmart has problems with shrinkage (theft - shoplifting and internal).

There are generally certain days of the week that are delivery days and others where the stock is bound to be low. Monday is a horrible day to shop, since weekend crowds have decimated the aisles. Sometimes Friday evenings work, if you dodge the pallets in the aisles. All this can vary by store and circumstance.

You also have the manufacturers who may limit availability at times, so when shopping at a single store, you can have problems. I generally shop at least two or three stores in a shopping trip. When I find a product that is regularly off the shelves, I either stock up when it does come in, or order online.

The only stores that will send an employee to check stock and even hold an item for you are the more expensive ones, such as Publix.

Old Yesterday, 06:07 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 13 days ago)

16,118 posts, read 21,257,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
the inventory control may reject large stocking of some items, and then you have "shrinkage" - which no inventory control can account for. Walmart has problems with shrinkage (theft - shoplifting and internal).
Yep, theft is a big reason. Hard to keep an accurate count when people are walking out with it, it takes a physical count, which takes an awful lot of manpower. Not something most stores can do and keep current on a daily basis.
Then there is the fact that what the computer says is in stock may change by the time you actually get to the store because of people making purchases (thank you extreme couponers, all it takes is for one nudge to put 12 bottles of tide rain in their cart to wipe out the inventory for that day).
The only 'for sure' way you can avoid a wasted trip is to purchase online for pickup and wait until your purchase is verified before you make a trip to get it.

Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

35,196 posts, read 31,510,336 times
I bought the Walmart+ subscription a year ago and let it expire due to a lack of delivery drivers - in saying that...

Many Walmarts seem to have at least more healthy/organic options in the back than are displayed on the shelves, at least in my local area. I was able to get a larger variety of healthy/organic options from the online orders than I've seen on the shelves.

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

37,742 posts, read 46,213,517 times
Quote:

Thanks.
I don't even bother checking online. I just go - our WMs are usually very well stocked so I don't have that issue.

Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

15,500 posts, read 9,200,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't even bother checking online. I just go - our WMs are usually very well stocked so I don't have that issue.
You are lucky. The Walmart near me sometimes doesn't stock items for months at a time. The shelve space is just empty every time I go in. Though the problem doesn't seem as bad now as it was a couple of years ago.

I remember asking a stocker if they were ever going to stock a particular item I was looking for. He said he didn't know. I said well if you don't stock the shelves people are going to shop elsewhere. He gave me a very honest response. He said, the management doesn't care. They know people are going to shop at Walmart no matter what. I said, well if the item is not stocked then I have no choice but to buy it elsewhere. He said yeah, but you are still shopping here.

Actually I really don't shop at Walmart that much. Just for large items like bottled water and 10 roll packs of paper towels. Sometimes for cleaning supplies if I need them too fast to buy online, and a few frozen food items, if they are not on sale at other stores. The Walmart prices are lower than other stores, but not even close to the sale prices at other stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products