Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 12:34 PM

22,991 posts, read 19,613,536 times

Advertisements

certain used clothing items are worth selling if they are in demand and fetch a price. Like used Doc Marten's shoes and boots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2024, 12:51 PM

20,532 posts, read 14,954,164 times
It depends on what your local options are. And, too, if they work for your situation. I got lucky here in the Phoenix metro because there's an "antique and consignment" shop that is just...every kind of assorted junk you can imagine...and they take clothes as long as they're in good condition and clean. I've had to deal with an estate, and I have taken tons of stuff up there. But since it's consignment, they are not buying your stuff from you. They take it, decide what they want to charge for it, and over the next few months if it sells then you "cash out" occasionally and get your half of the sale price. Whatever does not sell in the period of time they designate in their policies, you can either come pick up or it gets donated to a thrift store.

But if you are getting ready to move out of the area, then having stuff linger at a consignment shop for whatever amount of time waiting to see if it sells might not work for you. And the ones I've dealt with won't mail you a check or let you cash out online to a bank account or anything, you have to go in.

Old 05-28-2024, 10:54 PM

1,113 posts, read 713,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Here, and I imagine it is the same in the US, clothes need to be in almost new condition to donate to charities and resold. I tend to keep my clothes until they are well worn and so they go into the bins where I imagine they are sold for recycling or making rags. Clothes are incredibly cheap these days, compared to even twenty years ago.
Not really. I've worked for many non profit thrift stores, and we would take just about anything and go through it later. You can't tie a person up for an indefinate period of time, they would just get miffed and throw it in the trash. The idea is to make donating as simple and easy as possible. What we didn't want to sell went into a huge bin, and later a truck would pick it up and use the clothing for making rags and such.

Old 06-29-2024, 05:46 AM

4,008 posts, read 4,092,974 times
You could try Thredup.

Old 06-29-2024, 07:45 AM

25,280 posts, read 11,674,921 times
I call it happy hour with friends. Bring a box please!

Old 06-29-2024, 09:33 AM

102,531 posts, read 109,223,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks for replying. I'm trying to pack up an entire apt & on a time crunch, so yep, way too much trouble to do yard sale & can't do it where I live anyway. Sure not going to try to sell on eBay...way, way, way too much trouble taking pics of each thing & putting online. I'm going to have at least SEVERAL garbage bags of clothing.

I've sold at Buffalo Exchange eons ago & yes, they are picky...just like a store called Plato's Closet I sold to years before that. & I don't like the idea of dropping off & coming back later. If you have garbage bags fill of clothes, you don't know if they're keep a few things when you're gone in which they won't tell you.

Just trying to make a few extra dollars, but if it's too much trouble, I'll just donate.
OP, it really helps if you can find a good match between the consignment shop and your items: quality, style, era. Some shops do pay cash (most don't,and you only get paid after a month or two, and only for items that have sold), but they're limited in what they accept. They'll review your items and take what suits their clientele (usually younger people, trendy items). You may not have time to search out the one shop that loves your stuff, and they likely wouldn't pay you until after items have sold.

Depending on how old your items are, you might look for shops that accept "vintage" clothing.

Old 06-29-2024, 10:19 PM

11,868 posts, read 12,165,593 times
I used to donate clothes to Value Village but recently I donated a full bag of clothes to a local church food bank where my neighbour volunteers.

It's controlled so one person couldn’t just take the whole bag, but all the clothes went the same morning she put them out. It made me happy to give the clothes for free to people in need.

Old 06-29-2024, 10:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 15,244,375 times
Default Update

UPDATE

I went to this used clothing store called Crossroads Trading. The closest location to me is still abtou 45 min away, but husband & I are kinf of in the area if we go on a certain coastal drive. So we took a chance & went.

I got $168 for my stuff!!! MUCH more than I ever imagined, so I told myself, I'll go back again because I have a LOT more to sell.

Second visit, had more, but didn't get as much...$80. A different gal looked through my clothes so I think she was more strict. Husband got $30 for his stuff too.

I have more stuff to go back a 3rd time & I will because it's worth it.

Old 06-30-2024, 06:27 PM

15,750 posts, read 15,939,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I have a good amount of nice clothes that I'd like to try to sell first before donating. Is it still worth trying to at these used clothing stores that buy clothing? (I'm definitely NOT having a yard sale.) Any tips? TIA!
I wonder if you might do better posting in the forum for your town, and asking if anyone can recommend any specific shops for you.

Old Today, 11:59 AM

12,883 posts, read 15,244,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I wonder if you might do better posting in the forum for your town, and asking if anyone can recommend any specific shops for you.

I started a thread on Reddit specifically asking about my city. A couple of stores were listed & I read their comments/reviews about it, but the place I went to 2x now seems to be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products