Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 11:16 PM

2,292 posts, read 1,165,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I am awaiting two Etsy purchases this week.
I do not personally know the sellers, but I know the items are not mass produced.
One is from a family wood shop, the other is from a blacksmith forge... both in New England.
Those types of listing still exist, but they're rare now.

Etsy started out as a market for crafters making their own products to sell privately. I think they had pretty strict criteria for sellers. It was a unique marketplace and I liked the concept and seeing people's handmade goods.

Now it's 90% mass-made crap. Either global resellers or people selling stuff from estate sales or liquidations. I occasionally search online for a particular graphic file and am often led to Etsy, it's the new stomping ground for digital files and I can see a dozen sellers offering the exact same thing. Almost nobody is making anything by hand at Etsy anymore.

So disappointing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

15,585 posts, read 9,253,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Those types of listing still exist, but they're rare now.

Etsy started out as a market for crafters making their own products to sell privately. I think they had pretty strict criteria for sellers. It was a unique marketplace and I liked the concept and seeing people's handmade goods.

Now it's 90% mass-made crap. Either global resellers or people selling stuff from estate sales or liquidations. I occasionally search online for a particular graphic file and am often led to Etsy, it's the new stomping ground for digital files and I can see a dozen sellers offering the exact same thing. Almost nobody is making anything by hand at Etsy anymore.

So disappointing.
I knew people who sold on Etsy when the site first started up, but I never got the appeal of it. Okay they were mostly young women making handmade jewelry and selling it in very small numbers for a few dollars on Etsy. Why would anybody want to do that, other then for the sheer love of making the stuff? I remember one girl apologizing when she had to double her prices because she realized that she was losing money on every item. That was just the materials, not even counting her labor. She was a Korean American and I remember people on social media started joking and calling her shop the Korean Sweatshop. Because she was spending entire days making the items, and earning virtually nothing. There is no way to even make minimum wage doing that. If the sellers can't even make money with that business model, then how can Etsy make a profit taking a cut of that?

I think Etsy is doing the best they can, with what. they have to work with.

Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM

2,292 posts, read 1,165,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If the sellers can't even make money with that business model, then how can Etsy make a profit taking a cut of that?
Well, the DIY crafters sure won't make money now that they're competing with mass-market Chinese merchandise that can be priced much lower. The way I see it is Etsy sold out and changed their entire business model, because the original idea wasn't profitable enough. That, or they got greedy.

There are plenty of talented crafters & artisans who show their creations at local venues like art fests and farmers markets. For most it's just a fun hobby and maybe a way to make a few extra bucks, I doubt anyone is making a living off it. And I'd much rather see these things in person and pay the artist directly, rather than sifting through the mess of Etsy.

Old Today, 03:08 PM

23,547 posts, read 19,317,505 times
I shop on Etsy several times a year, but usually for OOAK, handmade, artisan items and that's what I've ended up getting. Many of you folks are lucky enough to live where craft fairs or art festivals occur. I don't, so the venue is useful to me. I use Etsy very specifically so most of the mass-produced junk doesn't come up on my radar. I ask vendors discerning questions about listings because things I shop the platform for matter. Usually, the difference between an artisan item and impersonal cheap junk becomes obvious. Caveat emptor, right? There's always been some mass-produced garbage on Etsy. Yes, it does seem to be increasing. We can wring our hands and mourn the change in the platform, or we can adjust our filters and apply the search bar with more finesse.

Last edited by Parnassia; Today at 04:04 PM..

Old Today, 03:44 PM

15,585 posts, read 9,253,986 times
I'm thinking maybe this problem has been going on longer then Etsy has been around.

It makes me think of the 1971 song Indian Reservation by Paul Revere & the Raiders

Quote:
They took the whole Cherokee nation
Put us on this reservation
Took away our ways of life
The tomahawk and the bow and knife
Took away our native tongue
And taught their English to our young
And all the beads we made by hand
Are nowadays made in Japan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products