Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

15,603 posts, read 9,264,864 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies. I resolved the issue with a trip to the Post Office. I guess it was my fault, though I'm not sure I'm 100% to blame.

When I got to the post office the clerk went and talked to the carrier and he insisted that both of my packages were in the far left parcel locker. I thought I had checked that one, but I was most focused on the open one next to it, which the key fit into the lock perfectly. They told me that yes the key might fit more then one lock, but my packages were in the far left locker. They also told be that that was the only locker that wasn't broken out of eight. I thanked them and told them I would go and check, but I didn't think it would work. When I got there I tried the far left locker and it opened right up and my packages were there. I don't know why it didn't work when I checked it before.

I felt bad about my attitude in the post office. I know they are good guys. But their maintenance totally sucks. Only one of eight lockers works and the key fits in multiple locks. I have to do my own maintenance on my own mailbox lock to keep it working, or else I wouldn't be able to get my mail. So I'm not surprised the parcel locker locks aren't working. I don't know what they will do when the last one breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM

12,462 posts, read 8,260,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I resolved the issue with a trip to the Post Office. I guess it was my fault, though I'm not sure I'm 100% to blame.

When I got to the post office the clerk went and talked to the carrier and he insisted that both of my packages were in the far left parcel locker. I thought I had checked that one, but I was most focused on the open one next to it, which the key fit into the lock perfectly. They told me that yes the key might fit more then one lock, but my packages were in the far left locker. They also told be that that was the only locker that wasn't broken out of eight. I thanked them and told them I would go and check, but I didn't think it would work. When I got there I tried the far left locker and it opened right up and my packages were there. I don't know why it didn't work when I checked it before.

I felt bad about my attitude in the post office. I know they are good guys. But their maintenance totally sucks. Only one of eight lockers works and the key fits in multiple locks. I have to do my own maintenance on my own mailbox lock to keep it working, or else I wouldn't be able to get my mail. So I'm not surprised the parcel locker locks aren't working. I don't know what they will do when the last one breaks.
Contact the building manager or HOA manager. Just like the lock on your mailbox the USPS is only concerned with their arrow key lock which opens the entire bank or main door. The arrow key is also needed for that second lock on the box which is needed to remove the parcel locker key from the parcel lock after it it is opened. Your lock, or the buildings parcel locker locks are your responsibility.

The key itself should have the tag on it identifying which locker that it fits, although many get vandalized. Depending upon the carrier they might take it to your door, leave a piece out in the open at the mailbox/parcel locker location or leave a notice for an unsecure location.

I do know about ten years ago we were ordered to leave anything that did not require a signature. And they spent overtime hours making carriers take things back out that we knew were in an unsafe location. In the last 5 or so years they have relaxed on that zero tolerance now follow your instructions but a greater percentage of stuff, and just about everything from Amazon is endorsed by the sender to leave if no response to knocking occurs. I guess Amazon figures replacing stuff stolen by porch pirates is cheaper than losing customers who might start deciding it is easier to go to the store themselves than to go to the post office to pick stuff up on postal retail hours.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

51,320 posts, read 37,001,840 times
Quote:
Thanks but that wouldn't work. Amazon doesn't have my phone number or email. Yeah I know that's my problem. But I don't give out contact information like that. I don't trust Amazon with it.
Quote:
My name and address is all they need. I like my privacy. Most people don't care, but I do. I use gift cards to pay for everything too. So they don't have my bank information either. If my account got hacked, the hacker would not be able to get anything except whatever gift card balance I have at the time. That is my security.
How do you even get shipping updates or tracking numbers if you don’t give them your email or phone number?

Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

12,462 posts, read 8,260,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How do you even get shipping updates or tracking numbers if you don’t give them your email or phone number?
You go to Amazon's website. And if it goes through USPS then with the number Amazon provides you can also go to USPS.com

Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Contact the building manager or HOA manager. Just like the lock on your mailbox the USPS is only concerned with their arrow key lock which opens the entire bank or main door. The arrow key is also needed for that second lock on the box which is needed to remove the parcel locker key from the parcel lock after it it is opened. Your lock, or the buildings parcel locker locks are your responsibility.

The key itself should have the tag on it identifying which locker that it fits, although many get vandalized. Depending upon the carrier they might take it to your door, leave a piece out in the open at the mailbox/parcel locker location or leave a notice for an unsecure location.

I do know about ten years ago we were ordered to leave anything that did not require a signature. And they spent overtime hours making carriers take things back out that we knew were in an unsafe location. In the last 5 or so years they have relaxed on that zero tolerance now follow your instructions but a greater percentage of stuff, and just about everything from Amazon is endorsed by the sender to leave if no response to knocking occurs. I guess Amazon figures replacing stuff stolen by porch pirates is cheaper than losing customers who might start deciding it is easier to go to the store themselves than to go to the post office to pick stuff up on postal retail hours.
Thanks, great information. I always love your posts on this subject.

Okay, where to start. Have to go back a decade ago to when I moved into this place. The manager gave me my mailbox key, along with my apartment key. Which is normal, just like every apartment I have ever lived in in my life. The biggest difference was that this key was an official USPS key, like the type you get for a P.O. Box. Other mailbox keys I have had were just cheap generic ones that the management bought.

Anyway the key worked terribly. The lock was seized up and it took all of my strength just to turn it. After a short time I just couldn't even turn the key. So I took the key back to the manager, expecting her to do something about it. But she just gave me a weird look, and said that was USPS and they had nothing to do with the mailboxes. I should take it to the Post Office, which I did.

The Post Office agreed to replace the lock. It took them forever. Meanwhile I had to pick up my mail at the Post Office for months. Finally one day they gave me a brand new set of keys. The new lock worked perfect for about a year, until it started to seize up, just like the old lock. Rather then going through the nightmarish process of trying to get the lock replaced again by USPS, I just started dosing the lock and key in WD-40. Which has kept it working fine. I wish I had thought of that the first time.

So the management here takes no responsibility for the mailboxes whatsoever. The USPS doesn't do much for them either, but they will replace worn out locks.

As for the locker key tag, they explained that to me today. The tag was for U-1-1. Unit 1 Locker 1. Which does not correspond to the numbers on the lockers. Those have P-1, P-2, P-3, etc. There is no correlation between the numbers on the keys and the numbers on the lockers. Fun, but I have gotten used to that.

Incidentally my mailbox is in Unit 2. But they explained that they had to put the parcel in U-1-1, because that is the only locker that is not broken. Like I said it will be interesting to see what happens when that breaks. I don't think that USPS or the apartment management will take responsibility for it.

Maybe when the last locker breaks, they will start bringing everything to my door. I have notice the same thing you mention. When I moved here, they would leave a note to pick up oversize items at the Post Office. But I haven't had to do that in eight or nine years.

Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Thanks for reminding me. I just did it and I had a package that was just delivered. Go to the Amazon or eBay Orders page and click on tracking. It takes like 10 seconds.

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM

15,142 posts, read 32,454,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
OP already shot down that suggestion, as well as all others...
Well, it doesn't look like the OP will be getting a package.

Old Today, 05:42 AM

30,379 posts, read 11,990,273 times
Quote:
My name and address is all they need. I like my privacy. Most people don't care, but I do. I use gift cards to pay for everything too. So they don't have my bank information either. If my account got hacked, the hacker would not be able to get anything except whatever gift card balance I have at the time. That is my security.
Since you are using gift cards what are you worried about? Its impossible for someone to take money from you.

Two things you can do. Set up an email just for your amazon account.

And or get a google voice number (its free) and the google voice app and use that to verify your account when asked. Amazon likes doing the two step verification which requires one of the above and actually makes your account safer. Then when things go wrong, which they will eventually you won't have the problem you have now.

Old Today, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Well, it doesn't look like the OP will be getting a package.
What? I got the package.

Old Today, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Since you are using gift cards what are you worried about? Its impossible for someone to take money from you.
Exactly.

Quote:
Two things you can do. Set up an email just for your amazon account.
Of course, my Amazon account has an email. I believe it was a 10 minute email that expired about 6 years ago. Either that or it's a bogus email address that I made up. Same with the phone number. There is no reason for Amazon to have to contact me about anything. So there is no reason for them to have my email or phone number.

Quote:
And or get a google voice number (its free) and the google voice app and use that to verify your account when asked. Amazon likes doing the two step verification which requires one of the above and actually makes your account safer. Then when things go wrong, which they will eventually you won't have the problem you have now.
That's what they want you to believe. What happens if your phone gets lost, damaged, stollen, or destroyed? If it gets stolen the thief has access to everything. The thief will quickly change all of your passwords, and will be in complete control of all of your accounts.

Two step verification has nothing to do with your safety. It's so they can verify your true identity by your phone number. Then they can share and trade your data with everyone else. Just hope that data never ends up in the hands of a hacker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products