Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2024, 07:07 AM

2,646 posts, read 3,179,630 times

Advertisements

My daughter has worked part time at a local eating place for several years, summers and school breaks, etc. She went back a week ago and was told about a couple of employees who had just been fired. Store was supposed to be open til 9 but they closed about 8 quite a few nights. Walk in business was lost and also delivery business. Owner found out when Door Dash called that no one was there when they went to pick up online orders. When confronted, they said the system was stalling about that time every night, or some such. Owner or manager should have been called if there were such issues. Plus, they should randomly check by sometimes. Great if you have trustworthy employees but some are not so good.

If you see such at a business, call and report it the following morning. Management needs to know about it. Business is hard enough without rogue employees disregarding customers and turning away revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2024, 09:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,870 posts, read 81,892,720 times
I had a business for 16 years, and yes, I fired one employee for closing early. I only found out because she messed up, set the alarm, but forgot her car keys and went back. She had never opened so took too long resetting the alarm so they called me. We closed at 5pm and it was only 4:10. I called the shop and got the closed recording, then called her cell phone. She didn't even offer any explanation, so I fired her.

Old Today, 11:00 AM

8,155 posts, read 12,900,801 times
When I was a young guy I worked at a restaurant and some employees would flip the switch for the lighted sign out front 15 to 30 minutes before closing. I understand why they did it though, a lot of nights I closed we would have people come in 2 minutes before we closed and order a full meal which ended up keeping us there for an extra hour as well as mess up some of the cleaning we did in preparation to close.

Old Today, 11:46 AM

23,672 posts, read 70,788,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
When I was a young guy I worked at a restaurant and some employees would flip the switch for the lighted sign out front 15 to 30 minutes before closing. I understand why they did it though, a lot of nights I closed we would have people come in 2 minutes before we closed and order a full meal which ended up keeping us there for an extra hour as well as mess up some of the cleaning we did in preparation to close.
You bring up a valid point. As someone who was responsible for a number of movie theatres, I'll add to this.

We would not sell a ticket to anyone for a movie twenty minutes after its advertised starting time. (Grind houses used to, but that was a different operation model altogether.) There was purpose in that. Audiences were less disturbed by "Excuse me, excuse me," as Mort and his wife interrupted key scenes bumbling their way to seats. We knew at the start of a show exactly how many seats we had, and could sell to capacity. We taught audiences that the twenty minutes or no admission rule was standard (unlike GCC, which stupidly had after-close ticket rolls).

The most disruptive and dangerous customers a theatre or restaurant has are often the ones who show up right at closing. More often than not they are drunk or have been drinking. They can be belligerent and total jerks. Then there is the big one - that group contains the robbers who know a.) that there is more money around from the business of the day, and b.) don't want to commit robbery while other people are around watching or able to interfere.

I was personally robbed at gunpoint while at work once. It was during that period of cleanup for the day and an employee broke rules to let someone in. I've had managers who were robbed. Again, those robberies occurred just at the end of closing time.

There have been other times when I declared theatres closed early. When no one has shown up for the last shows of the day at showtime and a Vermont winter blizzard is just starting? Closed. When Brian Norcross says hurricane? Closed. Employee safety trumps the desires of those who are too unaware to avoid becoming a disaster casualty.

An employee or group of employees that take it upon themselves to close early on a regular basis without notifying management or owner? Yeah, they have shown they need their leisure time more than a job. To expect every place to always be open to exact closing time? Not reasonable. Stuff happens.

Old Today, 03:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,870 posts, read 81,892,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
That's not the same, since they were still on the premises working. I bet the owners wouldn't like it but it's just discouraging last minute customers. If someone came in, saw the posted hours and tried the door, or a doordash/Uber eats driver came they could still get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products