Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 11:38 AM

15,696 posts, read 10,491,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I have a 20 yr high quality Serta queen coil mattress that is starting to get saggy in certain spots.

I have done the obvious turning 180 degrees, flipping, etc.

It's still quite serviceable but know that something will have to be done within the next year or two.

Question is what can I do?

Would getting a thick mattress topper (seen the ones @ Costco 3" - 4" Novaform) extend the life and comfort of the mattress?

Then I did a quick look online concerning mattresses... and it's so confusing.

I love the feel of my coil mattress, but it seems like there is a plethora of foam ones?

Some ppl love the foam ones, some hate them... saying they are hot or they eventually becomes divots where you lay down, etc.

And the prices are ridiculous.... $2,000 - $3,000 for a mattress?

What are your experiences with the new mattresses... and what do you like?
it takes hours and hours of shopping together, actually lying on mattresses in stores, to find one we both like and even after we choose one it takes weeks if not months to get used to it.

buy a new mattress, but take your time finding one. it ain't easy. I wouldn't ever buy a mattress I couldn't try in person. a $3000 purchase isn't expensive if you consider you will use that mattress every night of the year for 7-10 years. that price is less than $1 per night for a good night's sleep.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-16-2024 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2024, 12:32 PM

2,388 posts, read 1,243,620 times
A lot of the comments here sound like mattress store advertising copy, or things a salesperson might pitch to upgrade the sale for maximum profit.

Old 06-16-2024, 01:08 PM

2,294 posts, read 1,159,495 times
Over the last 25 years we've bought a number of mattresses. Everything from our own, guest room ones, kids, teenagers, everything. We've done spring, foam, hybrid.

Every single time we've cheaped out (like for a guest room), we've regretted it. I am fully aware of the hype and smoke and mirrors in the mattress industry, and it's not true that a $4000 mattress is literally twice as good as a $2000 one. But the cheap ones were junk every time.

It is hard to judge a mattress from a 10 minute test, fully clothed, in a public store. We did tons of research on which style we wanted (we settled on hybrid) and then just tried to try as many as we could from local places and chains.

Old 06-16-2024, 02:04 PM

1,210 posts, read 678,593 times
@heavymind.... yeah right? Seems like some ppl are blindly buying the marketing hype as real.

@texan2yankee - when I bought my mattress 20 yrs ago, I opted for a relatively high end mattress that was on sale. I think it was $600 or something. So now I'm willing to pay maybe $1,000 - $1,500 - but on sale so maybe a reg price of $2,000.

@rokuremote - I definitely understand the cheapest mattresses are junk. I slept on them all during my childhood and teen years. When I moved out - I splurged on decent mattresses and it was night and day.

All that being said, I am a business / marketing person and know how it works. Once you go past a certain price point, the returns diminish.

I'm all about getting the best bang for your buck for a good product. So the key is to hit the right value product at the right time when businesses are shaving margins to get rid of old inventory so that they can bring in the new fangled stuff.

Old 06-16-2024, 02:17 PM

50,558 posts, read 64,570,625 times
One thing I failed to mention. While we are very happy with our memory foam, very cheap Walmart mattress, which came rolled up in a box. There is something to be said for buying from a mattress store that will carry off your old mattress. Getting rid of an old one yourself can be a huge issue.

Hubby had to cut ours up with a Sawzall and parcel it into the trash.

Another thing is… no mattress requires remediation. When it’s over, it over. You’ll spend more trying to remedy its issues than to get rid of it.

Last edited by gentlearts; 06-16-2024 at 03:00 PM..

Old 06-16-2024, 06:17 PM

6,630 posts, read 6,813,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I bought a 4" mattress topper from Walmart 9 years ago for an older mattress in the guest bedroom but it was so fabulous, I put it on my mattress instead.

My mattress wasn't even in bad shape, but I wanted that topper.

I sleep like a baby. It did get hot so I put a comforter on top and that fixed the issue. And it's still in great shape after all these years. I think it cost about $100 back then.
Yes. A good $100 mattress topper will give you years of comfort. People are overcomplicating this issue by spending multiple thousands of dollars.

Old 06-16-2024, 06:44 PM

2,388 posts, read 1,243,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Yes. A good $100 mattress topper will give you years of comfort. People are overcomplicating this issue by spending multiple thousands of dollars.
Not to mention adding so much to the waste stream. Most probably end up in landfills along with all the other trash. Extending the life of a still-okay mattress with a nice topper is a more environmentally-friendly option, and also cost effective.

The Mattress Gods currently suggest to replace a mattress after seven years. Won't be long until that number is changed to five years, then three, etc. Even better, a Smart Mattress monitored by an app on your phone to helpfully inform you when it's time to buy a new one.

Old 06-16-2024, 08:52 PM

6,630 posts, read 6,813,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Not to mention adding so much to the waste stream. Most probably end up in landfills along with all the other trash. Extending the life of a still-okay mattress with a nice topper is a more environmentally-friendly option, and also cost effective.

The Mattress Gods currently suggest to replace a mattress after seven years. Won't be long until that number is changed to five years, then three, etc. Even better, a Smart Mattress monitored by an app on your phone to helpfully inform you when it's time to buy a new one.
My topper is almost 10 years old and going strong.

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

9,993 posts, read 7,913,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post

Back in the 80's I was involved with the sleep industry and I believe they recommended 12-15 years. They also told mattress companies to pick up the old mattress for free to get it out of circulation so no one else could use it.

My dad got mad when we threw out the mattress and box springs in the guest room. It was 55 years old and rotted underneath. We replaced it but honestly, the old mattress really was more comfortable. We were more worried that someone would crash through it.

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

13,072 posts, read 18,301,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I heard that they are making mattresses one sided... wow, what a stupid greedy thing.

About 10 yrs ago, I was with a friend shopping for mattresses and the salesperson mentioned that because manufacturers are making the fancy smancy thick toppers that they no longer make it flippable.

I thought he was bs'ing and paid no attention to it.

When I go shopping I hope they still make a flippable mattress. In fact I will favour the manufacturer that still does it.

I hate greedy marketing nonsense.
They do make them, but you have to look for them and by that I mean you will be buying off one floor model in one degree of firmness and hope that your guess works if they don't have what you are looking for on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products