Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 01:45 PM

1,208 posts, read 677,103 times

Advertisements

I have a 20 yr high quality Serta queen coil mattress that is starting to get saggy in certain spots.

I have done the obvious turning 180 degrees, flipping, etc.

It's still quite serviceable but know that something will have to be done within the next year or two.

Question is what can I do?

Would getting a thick mattress topper (seen the ones @ Costco 3" - 4" Novaform) extend the life and comfort of the mattress?

Then I did a quick look online concerning mattresses... and it's so confusing.

I love the feel of my coil mattress, but it seems like there is a plethora of foam ones?

Some ppl love the foam ones, some hate them... saying they are hot or they eventually becomes divots where you lay down, etc.

And the prices are ridiculous.... $2,000 - $3,000 for a mattress?

What are your experiences with the new mattresses... and what do you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2024, 01:52 PM

22,801 posts, read 48,093,260 times
Get a new one.
Most mattresses last 10 years... you got your money's worth out of that one.

Do you have an Original Mattress Factory near you?
Great quality and better prices .

https://www.originalmattress.com/que...0&pageNumber=1

Old 06-14-2024, 03:36 PM

25,021 posts, read 11,437,335 times
You have one back and spend almost 1/3 of your day in bed.
We went through three Tempurpedic including the cooling one in 20 years. Two years ago we went with a William & Lawrence and have been very happy. So are friends we recommended the brand to.
Find out what you really want. It may take several trips to show rooms. Then sit tight for a sale. Check the clearance centers. Get to know an older sales person. Check store membership cost versus perks such as delivery, set up, haul off.

Old 06-15-2024, 08:19 AM

30,775 posts, read 21,645,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Get a new one.
Most mattresses last 10 years... you got your money's worth out of that one.

Do you have an Original Mattress Factory near you?
Great quality and better prices .

https://www.originalmattress.com/que...0&pageNumber=1
Mine is 23 and still like new.

Old 06-15-2024, 08:41 AM

1,208 posts, read 677,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I am quite slim & trim, so I don't weigh down my mattress much and it stayed quite pristine for many many years.

Thanks for the posters for their recommendations.

I agree that we spend so much of our lives sleeping... and a proper rest is so vital to our lives so I agree I can't skimp on the mattress.

I think I will stick with the old school coil mattresses since I know I like them... and yes wait for a decent sale since they seem to occur quite regularly.

I wonder if non-mattress retailers like Costco are good options. They sometimes have one or two name brand mattresses available.

Old 06-15-2024, 08:56 AM

9,993 posts, read 7,910,447 times
I bought a 4" mattress topper from Walmart 9 years ago for an older mattress in the guest bedroom but it was so fabulous, I put it on my mattress instead.

My mattress wasn't even in bad shape, but I wanted that topper.

I sleep like a baby. It did get hot so I put a comforter on top and that fixed the issue. And it's still in great shape after all these years. I think it cost about $100 back then.

Old 06-15-2024, 10:10 AM

4,537 posts, read 5,110,127 times
We have a couple of mattress companies nearby. Both make a quality product. We always buy a coil, double sided mattress as firm as possible. The firmer the better. A good mattress shouldn't cave in when you sit on the edge. And true, a good mattress costs $1500 +. Getting 20 years out of one is rare I would think.

Old 06-15-2024, 10:33 AM

2,388 posts, read 1,238,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
And the prices are ridiculous.... $2,000 - $3,000 for a mattress?
I agree with this. There was another thread recently about buying a new mattress, I was shocked at how much people are spending on them. Another fine example of modern times and business ethics turning a basic, simple thing into something complicated and expensive. Complicated enough that people have to resort to researching and discussing it on the internet.

Back in the old days (20 years ago) when I was an apartment dweller you could get a brand new mattress and box base delivered for $200. Some guy from the wholesale mattress mafia drove around town all day in a box truck delivering mattresses. Nothing fancy, but they were comfy (spring based) and brand new.

I currently have a queen size oldie that's spring based, the tag says it was made in 1993. Found it at an estate sale where it had only been used as a guest bed for the past thirty years - looks like they didn't have many guests. It's nice and firm, and I got it with a box base for $100.

Old 06-15-2024, 11:26 AM

25,021 posts, read 11,437,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I agree with this. There was another thread recently about buying a new mattress, I was shocked at how much people are spending on them. Another fine example of modern times and business ethics turning a basic, simple thing into something complicated and expensive. Complicated enough that people have to resort to researching and discussing it on the internet.

Back in the old days (20 years ago) when I was an apartment dweller you could get a brand new mattress and box base delivered for $200. Some guy from the wholesale mattress mafia drove around town all day in a box truck delivering mattresses. Nothing fancy, but they were comfy (spring based) and brand new.

I currently have a queen size oldie that's spring based, the tag says it was made in 1993. Found it at an estate sale where it had only been used as a guest bed for the past thirty years - looks like they didn't have many guests. It's nice and firm, and I got it with a box base for $100.
It is 2024 not back in the days and not everyone buys used furniture.

Old 06-15-2024, 11:54 AM

17,702 posts, read 22,478,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Come on, you are the guy that doesn't have hot water in his house with some type of rigged plumbing set up. That mattress has got to be beat to death.

I've probably had 3-4 mattresses in 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products