Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

No manners and poor customer service in retail industry, TJ Maxx, Seekonk, Massachusetts, staff bad attitude, discount stores, female sales associates, attentiveness or rude behavior

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:52 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,918,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
TJ Maxx is a joke, they think their supposedly low prices will make up for being unable to help customers, answer questions or, last trip, not having anyone in the Pittsfield store at a register to ring up sales.

After seeing people waiting for a register to open, I placed my items down and walked out.
I see you must be an avid reader of the Wall Street Journal.
TJX stock is one of the few retail stocks that is up by more than 25% through the last 3 quarters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 10:01 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,918,652 times
Allow me to amuse y'all by telling the tale of my BFF, who worked at TJ Maxx for the last 6 months, Y'all do know that the job market here in Fl is in the pits, right?
She is 47, has a college degree, got laid off, thought it would help make ends meet by working there.
They pay an average of $6 an hour, with no hope of becoming full-time, and therefore getting benefits.
The loss rate (shop-lifting to you that have never been in retail) is over 30%.
Here in Fl, some folks augment their income by stealing from TJ Maxx, and then returning the product for $$$$. Or, just plain shop-lifting, and then putting the stuff on ebay.
Those of you that have brayed about customer service should put yourself in the helps shoes, you are a potential shop-lifter in their eyes, EVERYONE is.
Sorry if this epistle has offended, y'all really need to know what the heck is going on before you critique, and I am soooo sure that those who have , have never worked a second in retail, and had to suffer what some folks dish out in such a sadistic manner.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:43 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The loss rate (shop-lifting to you that have never been in retail) is over 30%.
............a potential shop-lifter in their eyes, EVERYONE is.
Sorry if this epistle has offended, y'all really need to know what the heck is going on before you critique, and I am soooo sure that those who have , have never worked a second in retail, and had to suffer what some folks dish out in such a sadistic manner.
Huh...kshe...LOL....pretty blunt...."in your face"....BUT OH' SO TRUE! (The truth hurts sometimes a bit...huh....)
Yes, I can and have to agree on what she is saying.
The retail chain I work for, just spend MILLIONS in order to add and equip all of our stores with high- tech video cameras, in every corner and angle, and the "control tower" in order to operate and track.
And, surprise, not only to track shop lifting (which hurts ALL and EVERYONE) but also to track "slip and fall" potential lawsuits....which are all to common anymore as well. (Again....EVERYONE is affected by this, in the long run)
The good news is, the "bad people" can and will be caught....but the "good ones" suffer during that process.
(Doesn't it seem ALWAYS to be the case??? )
Some retail stores/ chains instill the "Do Not Trust ANYONE" attitude within their workers...and some just take it, and run hog wild with it, making "good people" with honest inquests, for a somewhat miserable shopping experience.
It really is a "double edged sword".....literally!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:56 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,140,218 times
I forgot about the "slip and fall" scams! I personally have had so many things in life happen to me that I could have sued over but I was not brought up that way so I never sued anyone or thing! I'm sure there are many people out there who haven't either. Which came first....the "ambulance chasing lawyers" or the frivolous lawsuits? IMO society has been divided into 3 or 4(maybe more even) different "tiers" and all of us have to pay for the misdeeds of the bottom tier.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:48 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,363,929 times
Its the same here in TN, I wanted to upgrade my Video card so I made calls to Circuit City, Bestbuy and Walmart, not a single call produced results, they all said they did not carry cards with a TV out, I knew better so I drove to Bestbuy and got it. I don't think they were being rude so much as they have no knowledge. Most places hire from the temp services where people with no skills go for jobs.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:46 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Its the same here in TN, I wanted to upgrade my Video card so I made calls to Circuit City, Bestbuy and Walmart, not a single call produced results, they all said they did not carry cards with a TV out, I knew better so I drove to Bestbuy and got it. I don't think they were being rude so much as they have no knowledge. Most places hire from the temp services where people with no skills go for jobs.
Not all people who use temp agencies are without skills. Some are people who have been at their job for many years and the world has passed them by leaving them with no skill except the highly specialized one they had at their old job. Just ask my husband who was at his job for 36 years and then the company, under new management (due to death), outsourced all of our jobs leaving us all high and dry. You are basically right though. Temp agencies just fill bodies for the most part.

Our company outsourced to Tenn. as a matter of fact! Cheaper labor down south.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:30 PM

105 posts, read 302,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
How dare you tell someone where they need to STOP shopping!!! Some of us are low-income or retired on soc. sec. I cannot afford to go anyplace else. I feel that NO MATTER WHAT kind of store; Saks Fifth Avenue, or Kmart....when you work there as a CUSTOMER SERVICE REP, then that is what you are supposed to do, YOUR JOB. Dont like helping the customers? then let someone else have the job. There are plenty of others who would love that $8 an hour!
Absolutely!! Thank you!! I actually like the things that TJ Maxx sells and Target as well. (Who knew Target was considered "discount"?) If I am a paying customer in a store than I expect to be treated well. I am paying for THEIR salary!!! No one put a gun to their head and forced them to work there...so they made that choice. It is absolutely ridiculous to have anyone treat me with anything less than great customer service! If someone cannot handle that, they need to find another job in another field.

And don't even get me started on the rude people at Dunkin Donuts who CONSTANTLY mess up my order and then expect me to leave a tip or the rest of my change!!!!!! Um, no. You can't even get my order right, why would I reward you for screwing up?!?!?!?! I am no longer going to Dunkin Donuts for this reason...sadly in order to be treated properly, one has to shop at higher end places...I will now take my coffee business to Starbucks. Where they are always nice and have never ever made a mistake on my order!

Whew! Sorry for the rant....this situation really ticks me off! I feel better now .

Old 07-02-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettuce View Post
You sound high maintenance! maybe you are shopping at the wrong stores?
Excuse me? I am not high maintenance. I just expect people in retail to do their job. Just like I properly do my job. Who are you to judge me? Plus, if I was high maintenance, do you really think I would be shopping at TJ Maxx???? Probably not.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Actually, I worked in retail for 6 years, and I was always very nice, helpful and did as I was told. That is why it angers me to see others in customer service NOT be that way. I don't understand what is so difficult? When I worked in customer service I was in HS and just trying to make some money to put myself through college and I wouldn't have ever even dreamt of being rude to a customer. I made minimum wage and was happy to be there. I was happy to just have a job and I did the best I knew how.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:20 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.L. View Post
.....If I am a paying customer in a store than I expect to be treated well. I am paying for THEIR salary!!! No one put a gun to their head and forced them to work there...so they made that choice. It is absolutely ridiculous to have anyone treat me with anything less than great customer service! If someone cannot handle that, they need to find another job in another field.

THAT, my dear, is pretty much the "IT", and hitting the nail right on the head!
I work in retail, and I am always nice to my customers. But, however, we do get the occasional customer, which, na matter how nice you are, no matter what you do...it will never, ever be good enough nor please them.
If I don't "get them" with my friendliness, I'd rather go to my co-worker or manager....and let them take over for me.
People HAVE to realize...NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO SHOPPING....regular store, discount store...it doesn't matter. You, as a PAYING customer have the right, to be treated well. And YES, if it wouldn't be for you loyal customers....me and other's WOULDN'T HAVE A JOB!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products