Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:55 PM

473 posts, read 1,517,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
This is not the right place for consumer complaints and violates the TOS. By the way, Enterprise's web site shows you when you reserve a card that you must have a credit card and debit cards are not accepted. Common sense is one thing a six figure income cannot purchase.
Well, I thought this was the perfect place to at least inform others of a bad experience. Everyone has their preferences, and fortunately we are hearing from both sides.

And no - 6 figures can't buy common sense, although I can't see where having a credit card falls into that category. My failure to read the terms & conditions qualifies, tho!

And a final yes - Avis took the debit card to pay for the insurance on the rental.

But thank you for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 07:44 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
I use my debit card as credit card,have now for at least 10-15 years.I say credit when used.Live in FL now 20 years,still use Denver Bellco Credit Union as my bank.Have free ATM use thruout USA.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:13 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly0428 View Post
Just had a bad experience with Enterprise, which surprised me because I've used them for years...
Yeah, that's weird that you never had this problem with them before. New policy maybe?

But things are getting wackier all the time!
My latest customer service outrage: I renewed my drivers license the other day. Went to my bank (BOA) to cash a check and they won't take my new drivers license for ID because "it's less than 90 days old"! Sheesh, a person has to renew their license and DMV grabs the old one so what are you supposed to do? Not go to the bank for 90 days? Carry your passport around?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:44 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
Quote:
This is not the right place for consumer complaints and violates the TOS. By the way, Enterprise's web site shows you when you reserve a card that you must have a credit card and debit cards are not accepted. Common sense is one thing a six figure income cannot purchase.
I think your response is a little rude.

The OP wasn't trying to violate anything, he or she posted where they felt it was appropriate. And to say a six figure income can't purchase common sense was kind of a slap in the face to the OP.

I'm sure there have been times in your life where you didn't read something, or even misread something, does that mean you don't have common sense? No, it means your human.

To the OP I'm sorry to hear what happened to you, there are some car rental companies that will accept debit cards, you just have to search around. And your doing the best thing by taking your business elsewhere.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly0428 View Post
Well, I thought this was the perfect place to at least inform others of a bad experience. Everyone has their preferences, and fortunately we are hearing from both sides.

And no - 6 figures can't buy common sense, although I can't see where having a credit card falls into that category. My failure to read the terms & conditions qualifies, tho!

And a final yes - Avis took the debit card to pay for the insurance on the rental.

But thank you for your responses.

But you don't need to buy the insurance with a credit card because it is included in your credit card protection. Car rental companies don't tell you this though.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:25 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
There are certain instances where it is better to use a credit card, and this would be one of them. I once had a situation where a carpet stain was not noted on the rental agreement. When i returned the car, the same doofus that i had initially dealt with tried to assess responsibility for the stain to me. They charged my C.C. a fee($25?) for this stain. If i had used a debit card, i wouldn't have had any recourse. I called my card issuer, explained the situation, and they did a chargeback for the full amount of the rental. It was fun when Enterprise(yes, Enterprise), had to call me looking for their payment. In the end, i was a beneficiary of bad customer service. The 6-days of "insurance rate" rental charges were reduced to 4-days.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:17 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Who is crazy enough to use a debit card? Do you like giving a company instant access to your bank account? A debit card is an evil thing, I've never and will never use one in my life. If you have bad credit and don't have a choice, OK. I you do have a credit card - DITCH THAT DEBIT CARD NOW.

The consumer protection of a credit card cannot be equaled, besides that, as mentioned, for car rentals many have an added free auto insurance feature. Giving a company a debit card is like giving them your ATM number.

As for using a debit car for car rental. Most if not all major car rental companies will not accept them as they put additional holds on a credit card which they cannot do with a debit card, to cover the cost in case you don't return a car. Not a big deal and it's just common business sense. If I was a car rental company I wouldn't give out a $30,000 car for a $150 or so debit either.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:43 AM

Some car rental companies will accept debit cards but there has to be enough on there to pay for the entire rental period PLUS the insurance on the rental. I actually like using my debit card most of the time (but definitely not for renting a car). I always use my pin number and it takes the money directly out of my checking account. With some merchants your debit card will offer recourse. Also, if a company does erroneously charge your debit card number, all you have to do is let your bank know. Then you repoert the card as lost and you get a new one with a new number. I haven't had any problems with any of my debit cards and I first began using one in 1995. I have worked with corporate credit cards for over 5 years and while slightly different than your personal credit card, the way they are used is the same.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:11 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,647,632 times
Quote:
Common sense is one thing a six figure income cannot purchase.
Oooh, below the belt!

Old 07-07-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
Oooh, below the belt!
You can have PhD and not have any sense too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products