U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:29 PM

1,045 posts, read 4,080,027 times

Advertisements

I work in the hotel industry and I HATE debit cards. We have every guest who gives us a debit card at check in a form to sign that says they may receive a hold on their funds. It is not something that we can prevent or cancel....and people STILL complain after it happens. Regardless, I wonder why Enterprise doesn't have people sign a form of acknowledgment or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 11:04 PM

1,177 posts, read 426,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly0428 View Post
Just had a bad experience with Enterprise, which surprised me because I've used them for years.

Made a reservation online a week in advance for pickup at RDU Airport. When I got there, I was refused my rental because I didn't have a "major credit card". Well, sorry - I choose a debit card to pay for my purchases up front. And no - I'm not poor. I make a six-figure income!

Anyway, no apology, no alternative offered to me from Enterprise. Just a "see ya, take your card and money and hit the road". I was never told - from the time I made my reservation - that I had better bring one.

Luckily, being at an airport, I had a few other choices, and went to Avis. Without a reservation and a major credit card, they had me a vehicle in 10 minutes. I didn't have to change my plans, which were time-critical. Avis took good care of me; Enterprise didn't give a damn.

I won't be going back to Enterprise any time soon. Probably never again. I don't need them to "pick me up". They let me down.
I am so sorry to hear about your experience with Enterprise. I too have had some challenges with rental car companies.
The best car company I have dealt with recently was Dollar. They were not only quick, but the young woman that helped me in Richmond was extremely nice and thorough. Probably one of the best customer service experiences I've had in a while. And they take debit cards

Old 07-18-2008, 12:42 PM

654 posts, read 3,143,511 times
I have never rented a car in my life but, its obvious that many places out there still insists on credit cards. Of course for people that have no credit card or their credit is bad to where they can't obtain one, they have no choice but to use debit (as credit) cards. I refuse to use a credit card for anything, and since I don't have one I don't need one. When I travel I usually will just drive to where I have to go or if its to a place where I have friends, I usually arrange to have them pick me up from the airport if I fly, which isn't often as I prefer to travel by ground.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:01 PM

163 posts, read 616,418 times
So do rental car companies take more money like any deposit or just full rental amount when you use a credit card?

Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 PM

819 posts, read 2,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls8195 View Post
So do rental car companies take more money like any deposit or just full rental amount when you use a credit card?
you probably could have googled that instead of bumping a thread that is 3 1/2 years old -_-

But to answer your question, yes they always take more. Well Enterprise does.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 PM

Typically what do they take?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:49 PM

Its better than starting a new thread also.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:12 AM

1,903 posts, read 4,989,400 times
I've used a debit card at Dollar. They put a big hold on the account and it was supposed to last something like ten days. A couple of days into the vacation, I called my bank and got them to remove the hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products