Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 01:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Folks..we're not "customers" anymore..we've been renamed to "consumers" and in the process customer service went away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 07:47 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Folks..we're not "customers" anymore..we've been renamed to "consumers" and in the process customer service went away.
Depends on where you shop.

At Home Depot, you're a consumer, at your local hardware store, you're a customer.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:34 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,512 times
To me, customer service is more of a personality. Either you have it or you don't. People can learn about customer service techniques, but it still boils down to personality. There are so many people in customer service oriented jobs just doing that job because they have to. Not because they want to. It reflects in their actions when you deal with them.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:32 PM

135 posts, read 525,807 times
I believe Customer Service is still around, but it works both ways. If the customer projects an even-tempered attitude, chances are the interaction will turn out fine as the person providing the service would feel no reason to treat you terribly. However, I think we as a society-myself included- have become too self important and feel entitled to whatever we want, when we want it, how we want it, and don't forget we want it right now! With that, many people expect the person providing the service to exude sickening cheerfulness-something they lack themselves- while the customer stands unmoved, scowling and/or behaving in any crass manner they see fit because after all.."I'm the customer". With that mentality and attitude, expect the ADULT on the other side of the counter or wherever they happen to be to give you the same, it's what you deserve.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
low wages and mean streets dont
buy a lota employee loyalty and smiles.
amazing how customers will kick staff around and wonder why the greeter at walmart is hiding.
its a mirror people. our ugly and greed shows on their face.
every picture tells a story don't it.
(rod stewart sing it)

Old 09-08-2008, 04:29 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
To me, customer service is more of a personality. Either you have it or you don't. People can learn about customer service techniques, but it still boils down to personality. There are so many people in customer service oriented jobs just doing that job because they have to. Not because they want to. It reflects in their actions when you deal with them.
Sure, there are a lot of people in customer service, but I don't thing anyone freely aspires to a position such as that. Salary and benefits are typically low and the job is likely a default job for many because of a lack of other skills.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:27 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Sure, there are a lot of people in customer service, but I don't thing anyone freely aspires to a position such as that. Salary and benefits are typically low and the job is likely a default job for many because of a lack of other skills.
In some places, maybe, but this attitude is where the problem lies. You're not better than the person behind the counter, or the person taking your order. As a matter of fact, the person behind the counter may well be the owner of the place or doing research for a book (Macmillan: Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America Barbara Ehrenreich: Books, or Macmillan: Class Matters: The New York Times: Books), or maybe they're a grad student getting their third doctorate and are mostly living on grants and like to work with people... or maybe they don't follow your guidelines to measure their own success and are actually pretty happy where they are... Just maybe. Kinda dangerous to assume that your illustrious degree in accounting and the corporate desk job that goes along with it is what the person on the other side of the counter aspires to.

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments on crappy customers. People who are jerks tend to get poor service. Next time you get what you consider poor service from someone, think about how you've been talking to them, or at them, as the case may be. If you watched your actions from the outside, you might be a little embarrassed.

(None of that was directed at HighPlainsDrifter, by the way... directed toward the general "you"... )

Old 09-08-2008, 06:42 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I've felt that good customer svc flew out the window starting several yrs ago. The only way you may get pretty good service is if salespeople are paid on a commission basis, otherwise no one gives a care anymore.

Most people just aren't nice anymore.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:55 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
With the lousy pay most workers get I expect bad service and I don't blame them. It sucks, but you can't do much about it, just shop somewhere else.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:24 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
With the lousy pay most workers get I expect bad service and I don't blame them. It sucks, but you can't do much about it, just shop somewhere else.

I agree with this. The workers are paid virtually nothing and are treated like garbage. Their supervisors and managers are treated the same way, so morale is very low. I've worked Customer Service and it is the toughest job out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products