U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:43 PM

253 posts, read 721,699 times

Advertisements

this might have been covered already, but im putten in my 2 cents.
i recently went thru rent a center to purchase a front loader when my old set died. i was soooo excited to finally get front loaders, use less water, less energy....not to mention...look great!!! by the way...for those that dont realize it, rent a center is usually cheaper then buying it on a charge card at a store, and also, maintence is covered AND, lucky for me compared to people who cant return their front loaders to sears, lowes, etc an still payen on them, i was able to return, get credit,and get a dfferant set.
anyways....here is why i returned my front loaders, i got the whirpool duets, you can type in whirpool duets reviews online, and will find tons of people sayen they are junk, all with same complaints i found.
after about a week, assuming the way clothes smelled so good, that the machines worked great....then one day, my son pulled he soap dspenser out to far as i was filling it with soap, softener and bleach, causeing the soap to drip down the grooves of washer, this was a MESS to clean off!!!
while slowly cleaning it, it was running, i wanted to see how it washed, so i took a flashlight and shined it inside and watched, all i could say was "wheres the dang water????"
If you have ever went to a laundry mat and used a front loader, you know that while washing...you see WATER!!! not so with frontloaders now...it "DRIPS" water onto your clothes thru holes, recycles it and drips again, water doesnt soak your clothes. theres your water savings.
next....its LOUD!!! omg, you will never adjust to the sound, and ive read you can buy a extra sound proofing kit, but it doesnt help, and besides, why buy something extra that should have been included at 700-1000 bucks per unit????
next....my kids was bringing me clothes, asking me what i did wrong to them???? I was like "what????" ive never meet a stain i cant pretty much get out the first time, and ive never shrunk a item of clothing, all of a sudden i got a mound of clothes from the kids with stains still(that always came out with old washer) and shrunk, bad!!! the dryers, even set on lower temp, burn so hot, you will smell it, i didnt at first cuz my dryer was in garage, but i tested it, and sure enough, you can smell it burning your clothes.
that was it, i went online, searched for reviews....and found all the same issues i was having, but those people was stuck with theres.
here is something else i found out....there is a drain pipe under the kick plate, socks and stuff like to stick in it, and you are not told about it, until your washer backs up and your out a few hundred to have unclogged.
AND.....another compliant others have had...the computer boards that run the washer LOVE to burn out....and the average cost to repair is $500. the dang washers sell for as low as 700, one person had to replace their burned out computer board withen few months of purchase!!!
i went back to a standered washer and dryer, top load, no more stains, no more shrunk clothes!!!
as far as energy savings? yes, you will save water, but you can spritz your clothes with a water gun and get the same clean, the washer runs almsot a hour on normal clothes, 85 min for whites, and hair over half hour for delicates, so what you save in water, you make up for in electricity i think.
dont buy front loaders!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 10:50 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,873,496 times
I've had my Kennmore HE3 (this is the more basic of the Kenmores) washer for 3.5 years now, washing for a family of seven-and it's been moved twice (ugh, it's quite heavy). I've had not one problem. I do leave the door ajar between washings. Never had mold or nasty funk. I clean the rubber a couple times a year. My machine gets heavy usage, it's running now in fact.

It cleans our clothes just fine, many of which are older than the machine. I do not think it cleans better than a top loader, though, but well enough. I washed my mom's 60 yo quilt on the handwash cycle-it came out PERFECT and better looking than I'd ever seen it. It does use much less water. Only thing I miss from my former top loader (that went with the house we lived in then) is the ability to soak stuff for long periods of time.

I'm happy with it. My biggest worry was the electrical panel, which has lasted-that is the only thing that gave me pause to buying it.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:49 AM

14,594 posts, read 14,460,704 times
Front loader every time!

I used top loaders in the US and it seemed that their action was harsher on clothes, eventually leading to frayed collars and suchlike.

Their one advantage was that if you forgot to put something in you could drop in the top.

Re difficulty in accessing front loaders, if possible have it properly mounted on a worktop.

The front loaders do not take all day for a cycle- don't know how that idea came about. The shortest cycle I have is just over 30 minutes but my usual cycle is 73 minutes.

I've finally gone for the best machine going, can't mention the name not cheap but worth it and guarenteed ten years, and (BTW this is a male speaking!) it uses so little detergent, does a great wash and spins so well and so quietly- blimey I sound like an advertisment!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, never thought I'd get enthusiastic about a washing machine!

Last edited by Jezer; 04-01-2009 at 04:38 AM..

Old 04-01-2009, 08:58 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,404,353 times
We have the original Maytag Neptune washer and dryer, still going strong after many years. My t-shirts are still white, rest of our cloths are clean, linens, etc.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 PM

5,081 posts, read 13,202,693 times
The only disadvantage I have found using our front loader is that some clothes always fall onto the floor when transferring them to the dryer.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:42 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,649,225 times
It's funny that I was just reading this thread awhile back, then I was a guest at my niece's over the weekend. Her washer was going and it sounded like a jet trying to take off!!!! This is a fairly new, higher end, front loader. I couldn't believe how noisy it was! She said that they are going to have a service guy come check it out. It is awful!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 AM

12,793 posts, read 19,017,103 times
I have a front loader, no issues that I can think of. Doesn't use as much water, isn't that loud, doesn't make clothes smell, easier on the clothes, easier to dry, and front loader fits more clothes in a load compared to an equivalent sized top loader. Some of the complaints I see here are due to user errors:
1.) Loud washer - front loaders spin at higher RPM's. But it shouldn't be louder if properly installed. Probably a problem with the floor surface (weak or slipery floor) or unlevel floor, or uneven load. Same problems can occur with top loaders. My front loader is actually quiter than a top loader I had.
2.) Clothes smell or mildew - easy, simply leave front door open after use so that it drys out inside. Probably #1 misundertanding of front loader owners.
3.) Low water level doesn't clean well - Low water level is by design. The clothes absorb the water, and the wet clothes tumble through the water, they don't sit inside water. Cleaning is equivalent or better, water usage is lower, drying is quicker. And it's less harsh on clothes fabric.
4.) Not cleaning well - Use HE detergent (formulated for front loaders). Don't use top loader detergent. Amazing how many people don't realize this.
5.) Takes too long to clean. My top loader took about 40 minutes for an average load, front loader takes maybe ten minutes longer. Not a big deal.

Last edited by Dd714; 04-07-2009 at 10:24 AM..

Old 04-07-2009, 11:48 AM

1,747 posts, read 2,728,981 times
The house we currently rent has a mini-size front-loading washer sitting under a mini-size dryer. Both are in a closet with bi-fold doors. I absolutely HATE this set up.

1) The washer is LOUD! Whack-whack-whack-whack when the clothes are spinning. It vibrates everything within 20 feet.

2) We inevitably drop clean, wet clothes (wet clothes are heavy) on the floor when trying to work against gravity to move them UP to the dryer. We've learned to work around this by placing a small basket under the washer door to catch those items.

3) We use the new special detergent designed for front-loaders. It is rather difficult to find (there are many more varieties of regular detergent).

4) Because the washer/dryer is in a hall closet with bi-fold doors, it is difficult to leave the washer door open. If we inadvertently close it, it stinks of mildew within 24 hours. I don't know what the previous residents used to wash in there but I suspect some dog gunk got in (they had a dog). Ick.

5) Clothes (and water) often get stuck in the gasket that keeps the door shut. Pain in the butt.

6) The washer is low to the floor. Pain in the back putting things in and getting things out. I imagine it wouldn't be quite so bad if we were under 5 feet tall.

7) Once the washer starts, you can't put anything else in. Forgot a single sock? Tough, it has to wait until next washing.

8) Because these are mini-sized appliances, we have to wash more frequently. What used to be a normal load for us now has to be split into two. So much for any environmental savings. Takes longer, too. (2 half-size loads is longer than 1 regular-size load).

In all, I miss our full sized, top loading washer and full sized dryer. They were quiet and they resided in a bona-fide room all to themselves, with a sink, a window, full-sized wall-mounted cabinetry, a folding counter and ironing area. There was even enough room for a bench! We currently use these toy appliances because we're only here temporarily. I'd have to be desperate to voluntarily purchase such toy appliances.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 PM

12,793 posts, read 19,017,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Front loader every time!

I used top loaders in the US and it seemed that their action was harsher on clothes, eventually leading to frayed collars and suchlike.!
Interesting - it was an ideological difference between europeans and americans when it came to clothes washing. Europeans relied on these front loaders that took a long time to wash clothes with tumbling water, little detergent, content in letting time elapse with very little chemical action. For them the American way of cleaning clothes - using a top loader to bathe it in chemicals and wringing it to death with that agitator - was uncivilized. Something to do with American's insistence on having everything now and relying on better living through chemicals (even if it isn't clean, it smells clean).

Now we have a compromise - a new generation of American front loaders that are still relatively quick, take some detergent but don't drown the garmets in a chemical bath of fake clean smell, and don't turn clothes to threads after 50 washes. It's win-win for everyone as long as they don't mind stooping down and can sacrifice not adding items after the loads start (and even now they have models were you can add items).

Old 04-07-2009, 03:02 PM

14,594 posts, read 14,460,704 times
I've forgotten- how long is a typical cycle with a top loader?

As I said, I can set my front loader to 30 minutes for a quick wash but generally leave it at the 73 minute cycle.

Since everyone has been mentioning brands, mine is a Miele and everyone I know who has one raves about it.

Indeed my sister has had hers for over twenty years.

Looking back at this thread and the posters who dislike front loaders, I can't comment on their models but mine is so quiet even at 1300rpm.

What do top loaders spin at?

I'm not looking to have this as a Europe vs USA thread, though I found Dd714's comments very amusing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products