Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you could buy one of two identical items, one made in China for $3 and one made in America for $4
I'd buy the one made in China because it's cheaper. 5 13.16%
I'd buy the one made in America because it's made in America even though it is more expensive. 33 86.84%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:20 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
AMERICAN WHENEVER POSSIBLE!

People like to *iss & moan about the economy and how mom & pops are going the way of the dinosaur, but this is what it boils down to; Americans don't work cheap, so American made products are going to cost more. If you can bite the bullet and pay a little more now, it pays us back in a stronger economy later.

Think about this; China has bought BILLIONS of US Dollars' worth of our war debts.
Actually the US Government borrowed 3 trillion dollars from China to shore up our dollar and to pay some bills. Also with Saudi Arabia the US borrowed another 3 trillion dollars and borrowed from Chavez of Venezuela another trillion for the same purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 05:05 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
Here's the scenario. You're in a store and you can buy two functionally identical products.

One product is made in China and costs $3.00.

The other product is made in America and costs $4.00.

Which one would you buy?
Most of us would buy the American product, that is obvious by the poll. but you have to consider just who benefits from that dollar savings, the consumer or the company?

Old 07-31-2008, 08:32 PM

681 posts, read 2,878,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michimaize View Post
By no means am I trying to start an argument, I'm just curious. Where I'm from, the mom and pop stores are open until about 5:00PM, maybe 6. I get out of work at 7, and the only place that is open is Walmart. I know lots of people hate Walmart and I understand why. But my question is this: How many people does that mom and pop store employ? How many does Walmart employ? Do the mom and pop stores provide benefits for any employees it may have?

I'm not trying to start a "Walmart vs the World" debate that tends to spring up every now and then, but to me, it seems that a store that employs more people and costs less (for the same quality) would be more beneficial to the local economy because more people then have more money to spend.

I went to a local shop the other day and everything there was Chinese or German. I don't really have the option to buy American, but even when I do, I've never noticed much of a difference in quality. So, I go with price and convenience.
I can't argue with you. It's the same where I'm from... a Wal-Mart Supercenter is only two miles from my house and none of the little stores in town would be open that late. However, if you want to talk about how many people work for Wal-Mart, think about how many people no longer have a job because of Wal-Mart. I happen to know that when Wal-Mart came into town, several businesses were forced to close for lack of clientele. It's likely that the whole "job quantity" thing is a zero-sum game.

A store that sells things cheaply may do some good for the local economy in the short term but if it means that we buy everything from China, it's bad for the economy in the long term. It's like smoking a cigarette. If you crave one, having that smoke may be "good" for you at least insofar as it makes you feel better... but it puts you one more step down the road to life-threatening diseases... so it's bad for you in the long run. The more we buy from China, the more we are giving our freedom and our power away to China. Do you honestly believe that other countries are going to step up and be the international peacekeepers and nice guys like we were for all of these decades when America is no longer the world's foremost superpower? NO... some country is going to step in and take us over. We'd better start learning how to speak Chinese.... UNLESS... the American buying public steps up and says that we're not going to take this crap anymore.

As far as your choice to buy American, it is sad but true that often you do not have that choice. Your choices are China, China, and China usually. If it's something you have to have and you can't buy it any other way, then you have no choice. For my question though, I was assuming that all things were equal... equal quality, equal product. I'm sorry, but I would buy American any day if it was easy to do so. That is the only way we'll get our gas prices down and our economy up.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:22 PM

371 posts, read 1,106,627 times
it doesnt matter where it is made what matters how its design and what is it made of.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,648 times
absolutley, I search out & buy pproducts made in USA.Its very discouraging allowing extra time just to do so,&sadly my efforts are futile.Wasnt always the case!!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:31 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Yes I always search out and try to buy USA made. While it is difficult-it is not impossible. I find that when buying made in USA-it may "cost" more upfront but lasts longer and is better quality-you don't have to buy 2 or 3 pieces of junk. I also find that if it is not a "necessity" and needed right away, I can save up and purchase the made in the USA when I have the $$. I just got done switching my dishes over to Fiestaware- I bought when they had sales and now I have lead-free nice dishes made in the USA.

I actually found a hose and a hammer made in the USA the other day.

I am still looking for drinking glasses and everyday silverware made in the USA.

Nicolem

Old 08-01-2008, 06:35 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
it doesnt matter where it is made what matters how its design and what is it made of.
I think it does matter. Factories in China do not have the same oversight in manufacturing as factories in the US. Just look at all the lead and toxins used in many products made in China. When was the last time an American made product was recalled for lead?

Nicolem

Old 08-01-2008, 07:10 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Any idea of which (if any) brands of clothing are made in the USA these days? I NEVER see a label that is US.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:16 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Any idea of which (if any) brands of clothing are made in the USA these days? I NEVER see a label that is US.
Still Made in USA.com - American-Made Apparel for the Entire Family

Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 AM

371 posts, read 1,106,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I think it does matter. Factories in China do not have the same oversight in manufacturing as factories in the US. Just look at all the lead and toxins used in many products made in China. When was the last time an American made product was recalled for lead?

Nicolem
But the US doesnt allow harmful items into its shores without being checkes ever since those back to back recalls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products