Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:09 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times

Advertisements

Regarding Walmart pros and cons. They are without a doubt selling items made in a foreign country. They are also selling some products that are "Made in USA" items. All a person has to do is look at the bottom or at the back of the pkg and see where it was made. Blasting Walmart as being all Import is not true. Every one has their own choice as to what they wish to purchase...Import or Local. They buy in large quantities and are able to pass the lower price down to the consumer level. They make their profit on volume sales and not on one or two items. Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 06:09 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Ok, I'll bite. Where DO you shop?
Does it matter? None of the big box stores and corporate chains get my business. I'm here typing this, so I must be doing okay. Of course, I'm one of those wacky hippies who tries to buy everything secondhand or I buy the best quality product I can find so it lasts for years.

I buy all of my groceries at a small, local co-op and at the farmer's markets. Other local business I frequent include a hardware store, a liquor store, thrift shops, and occasionally yard sales/classified ads. For the odd gadget or product I want and can't find locally (say a DVD or a computer related product) I'll buy it online. That's pretty infrequent, though.

What exactly is it that people buy that makes Walmart some sort of treasure chest? It's worthless crap you really don't need.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:58 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Does it matter?
Just curious. You said you didn't shop anywhere that carried any of the brands I listed. That pretty much rules out... everything.

Quote:
I'm one of those wacky hippies who tries to buy everything secondhand or I buy the best quality product I can find so it lasts for years.
We have a lot in common, despite our disagreement about Wal*Mart. You have no doubt already formed an image of me in your mind, which is no doubt completely off the mark.

We just got back from a trip to Wal*Mart for a food slicer and a few office supplies, Bellagio for a Christmas gift and a local thrift store for some clothes.

I also look for the best value - which is why I shop for casual clothes at thrift stores, bake my own bread, make my own cigarettes and... shop at at Wal*Mart.

Quote:
What exactly is it that people buy that makes Walmart some sort of treasure chest? It's worthless crap you really don't need.
Food, household, hardware, sporting goods, automotive... Pretty much anything. People actually do need food. People actually do need dishes, and cleaning supplies, and clothing. People actually do need new tires, oil changes and batteries for their cars.

So what was it you liked about Wal*Mart, anyway? You're posting in this thread, which is very clearly and specifically for positive Wal*Mart comments. Is it that they saved you over $900 last year, whether you shopped with them or not? I'll bet that's it, because bashing is OFF TOPIC in this thread, and I'm sure you want to abide by the City-Data terms of use. I gave you a list of other threads you can go bash them in, so I'm sure you'd go there if that's what you wanted to do...

By the way, the new food slicer looks like just the ticket - nice even slices of bread now, and for about 20% less than the next closest competitor. We also saved about 70% (compared to the office supply chains) on the cork board we bought for the office.

Yep, I love Wal*Mart!

Old 11-22-2008, 07:04 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but 90% of what people buy from WM is unnecessary, cheap junk. This is compounded by the fact that so many people buy that cheap junk on credit!

I can see buying groceries there (maybe) but the palm tree placemats and beanbag chairs? Come on. You don't need it.
Food
Auto supplies
Vitamins
Medicine
Soap & shampoo
Gardening supplies
Cleaning supplies
Toilet paper and napkins
Dog food
Socks and underwear
A/C filters
etc. etc.

Yes, I do need this stuff, including the occasional bottle of wine that I buy.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:13 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I think I can manage to live without Walmart. Don't even have one nearby, thank goodness.
You don't have a Wal-Mart anywhere near you, yet you claim to know so much about them and how they are harming communities. You need to stop believing everything you see on TV.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:30 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Food
Auto supplies
Vitamins
Medicine
Soap & shampoo
Gardening supplies
Cleaning supplies
Toilet paper and napkins
Dog food
Socks and underwear
A/C filters
etc. etc.

Yes, I do need this stuff, including the occasional bottle of wine that I buy.
Your list is a good example of why some people, unfortunately a minority, do not support Walmart.

Auto supplies: POOF! There goes the auto parts shop where the guy remembers what car you drive the moment you walk in with a question.

Vitamins: POOF! There goes the vitamin and natural food merchant who took the time to teach you what might help and what doesn't.

Gardening supplies: POOF! There goes the lifelong master gardener who started a business to share his knowledge.

Dog food: POOF! There goes the pet supply store owned and operated by people who truly care about animals and can offer you the best product for your pet.

And on and on and on. Instead what you get is some trailer trash moron working for minimum wage who directs you to the dog food on aisle 237 - that's it. And your choice comes down to whatever Walmart decided would be most profitable for the third quarter.

Starting a post like this can only trigger comments from those of us who see Walmart as a global evil that is destroying the livelihood of so many communities.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:39 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You don't have a Wal-Mart anywhere near you, yet you claim to know so much about them and how they are harming communities. You need to stop believing everything you see on TV.
I have studied Grecian Architecture and I have not yet been to Greece. I speak rather decent French and I will not be visiting France until next year. What is your point? The reason that there is no Walmart in NYC is because small businesses here have prevented it from invading and they have made there reasons public. I didn't realize that you have to pitch a tent and camp out in Walmart's parking lot to have some knowledge in reference to their business practices.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:10 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Even though a lot of the produce at Walmart is more expensive than other local stores, you can take another store ad into walmart and they will match the price of the ad. It's not just other store coupons they honor, but the sale prices as well. Come's in handy at times.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:11 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
Quote:
Your list is a good example of why some people, unfortunately a minority, do not support Walmart.

Auto supplies: POOF! There goes the auto parts shop where the guy remembers what car you drive the moment you walk in with a question.

Vitamins: POOF! There goes the vitamin and natural food merchant who took the time to teach you what might help and what doesn't.

Gardening supplies: POOF! There goes the lifelong master gardener who started a business to share his knowledge.

Dog food: POOF! There goes the pet supply store owned and operated by people who truly care about animals and can offer you the best product for your pet.
I think your problem is not with Walmart, but all chains and also the mom-and-pops that just decided to give up. Those local places have been going out of business for years with or without Walmart. There's a lot of factors that have lead to that, including the fact that often sons and daughters have no desire to run their family business. The chain-ization of America would be happening no matter what. If Walmart weren't around, you wouldn't be going to some mom-and-pop shop for auto supplies. You'd be going to Pep Boys and Advance, which don't exactly offer personalized service either. Ditto for vitamins and GNC/CVS/Rite Aid, etc.

This ideal of everyone working and shopping in local mom-and-pop shops has been dying for a long time, and, here's the interesting thing, they die with or without Walmart. Take NYC for example: No Wal-marts to speak of for political reasons. You'd think this would be a hotbed for mom-and-pop shops, but go there and all you see is Duane Reade, A&P, Whole Foods, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:16 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:

And on and on and on. Instead what you get is some trailer trash moron working for minimum wage who directs you to the dog food on aisle 237 - that's it. And your choice comes down to whatever Walmart decided would be most profitable for the third quarter.

Starting a post like this can only trigger comments from those of us who see Walmart as a global evil that is destroying the livelihood of so many communities.
You're off topic. You can see my response in the new bash Wal*Mart thread. It's unfortunate that you need to be policed like an unruly sixth grader, but further off-topic posts will have to be reported. I won't allow nay-sayers to hijack my thread.

Thank you for contributing, and have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products