Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 AM

763 posts, read 2,261,105 times

Advertisements

When I go fishing and come home with 100 pounds of fish, guess what? I freeze it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 03:14 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
When I go fishing and come home with 100 pounds of fish, guess what? I freeze it!
Sure, but if you were going to buy fish from a store, wouldn't you prefer to buy fresh fish than frozen? (Ignoring the fact that most fish is frozen at sea, anyway)

It's not that I mind buying frozen meat or freezing meat when I have to. It just shouldn't cost as much. If I really want to buy meat in bulk I'll get a side of beef.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:53 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,105 times
If it's frozen, does it matter when/where it's frozen?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:15 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
The amount I saved on tires, gas and travel last year more than paid for my membership at Sam's. I'm fortunate also that I have two within a decent distance to choose from.

But I still find that if I know I'm going there, I might as well stock up on the meat, toiletries and fresh veggies.

Then I get to wander around and see what's new. I get most of my electronic toys and supplies there too.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:34 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Bulk-Buy Spending at Food 'Clubs' Doesn't Always Lessen Your Outlay

Even on a muggy day in July, it's unusual to see nearly every shopper leaving a grocery store with a watermelon.

ABC News: You Buy in Bulk, but Do You Really Save?
We get our cat food and litter in bulk from BJ's and yes, the savings is definitely evident compared to buying it at the grocery store or Wal Mart

Last edited by Gil3; 08-13-2008 at 11:48 AM..

Old 08-21-2008, 09:34 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
Yes and no.

It really depends on what you are buying---

My patio set at bj's was $699 and woudl have been MUCH MORE anywhere else (except costco).

Milk, cream, half & half, bananas is ALWAYS cheaper at bj's and costco.

Some things are not cheaper. Cereal you can get from the grocery store on sale for cheaper. The problem for some people is when they are in a regular grocery store they are not in the "bulk" frame of mind. This week peanut butter was 99 cents at stop and shop (skippy, limit 4) So I bought 4 when i went in for the redbox movie, then I bout another 4 when I returned the redbox movie. 8 for less than $8. Costco and Bj's charge you about 8 for two big ones (prob. equal to 6 small) and you are stuck with a giant jar of peanut butter till you finish it.

paper towels are good, napkins are good, juice boxes and snack items for kids are definitely good.

produce at bj's is BAD, At Costco it is good. Parmesean cheese in the case is slightly cheaper than the sale price at grocery store but you have to spend $11 on parm cheese, to save about $1. Do you really need to buy parm. cheese for the year, TODAY?

that is the problem with wholesale clubs. the bargains are great if you need/can use the quantity. If it spoils or you have to give it away, IT wasnt cheaper!!!

the other problem with wholesale clubs is: if the price per item is not cheaper, you just got screwed on 6 of them instead of just one.

i love bj's and costco though, they have way more bargains than not, you just have to know what not to buy.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
Yes, but I don't really see it as a trip as the nearest Costco is only a couple minutes away from where I live. Even if it wasn't though I would make the trip, same goes for Trader Joe's.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:16 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Yes, but I don't really see it as a trip as the nearest Costco is only a couple minutes away from where I live. Even if it wasn't though I would make the trip, same goes for Trader Joe's.
It is def. worth the trip. I live 15 miles from either Costco or Bj's and I still shop there. I do try to work it into my travel plans, though, not just go there and come home, I always get other things done nearby.

Gas at Bj's is no longer the best deal around here if you do any shopping at Stop and Shop. For every $50 you spend there, they give you 10 cents off a gallon. The discount lasts for 3 weeks. So even if you don't shop there a lot, you could accumulate 20 or 30 cents off per gallon in that time. My cousin and her husband somehow coordinate it that they fill both their tanks with one purchase, so they get 30 cents off a gallon for BOTH their cars.

Bj's also has ridiculous lines at the pumps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products