Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 04:41 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,039 times

Advertisements

So, who all is going shopping this weekend? I went to the mall this afternoon and thought it would be packed, but it wasn't. I guess it's because a lot of people were still at work. I bet the malls will be crowded tomorrow though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 02:18 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,960 times
what is your tax rate?

We had a tax free weekend in Massachusetts last weekend.

Our tax rate is 5%.

So if you buy something for $1000 you save 50 bucks.

I don't know about all of you, but if I can afford to spend $1000 on something I am not going to rearrange my whole weekend to save $50. If I was already going to buy it and it fit into my schedule, I'd go pick it up, but really saving 5% is not going to get me running to the store.

BTW, do you think the sales are as good on a taxx free weekend?

for example, if you bought a refrigerator for $1000, you'd save $50 in tax. But what if the next weekend the refrigerators were 10% off, you'd pay $900 for the fridge, plus $45 for the tax, totalng $945 for the fridge instead of $1000 on the tax free weekend. Has anyone paid attention to this?

Old 08-19-2008, 10:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Texas tax freee is a school thing to buy school clothes etc but anyhting under $100.00 clothignqaulifies. never understood why school supplies are not part of it tho.Actually some stores also put on very good sales besides to get even more business.You casn really save if you watch the sales flyers.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:57 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Texas tax freee is a school thing to buy school clothes etc but anyhting under $100.00 clothignqaulifies. never understood why school supplies are not part of it tho.Actually some stores also put on very good sales besides to get even more business.You casn really save if you watch the sales flyers.
wait a minute, its only tax free on school clothes and only up to $100. Are you kidding? So how much are you going to save? five bucks?

Is this for real.

It's not even worth the gas to go out and save 5 Dollars.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:27 PM

542 posts, read 1,684,650 times
I believe each individual item had to be less than $100 but that you could purchase multiple items totaling over $100 and still get tax free. There is a list of approved items, mostly clothes, shoes and backpacks. Tax rate in Texas is 8% and up depending on what county you live in.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:38 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Yes, each item is to be UNDER $100. Only certain items are exempt. Below is the link and a list. Our sales tax rate is generally from 8%-8.25%. Me, I hardly EVER go out on this weekend. My kids clothes STILL FIT and so the ONLY thing they get to buy is one outfit for the first day of school. Bought that today on the SALE RACK and was only at the mall for a TOTAL of 30 minutes. MUCH better for me.

As for other items back a few months ago in Texas they had a Energy Star Appliance Tax-Free weekend. Appliances that were rated Energy Star were tax exempt up to something like $1000.

Clothing Sales Tax Holiday (98-490)

The law exempts most clothing and footwear priced under $100 from sales and use taxes, which could save shoppers about $8 on every $100 they spend. Backpacks under $100 and used by elementary and secondary students are also exempt. A backpack is a pack with straps one wears on the back. The exemption during the sales tax holiday includes backpacks with wheels, provided they can also be worn on the back like a traditional backpack, and messenger bags. The exemption does not include items that are reasonably defined as luggage, briefcases, athletic/duffle/gym bags, computer bags, purses or framed backpacks. Ten or fewer backpacks can be purchased tax-free at one time without providing an exemption certificate to the seller.

TAX-FREE
Boots - cowboy, hiking
Caps/hats - baseball, fishing, golf, knitted
Coats and wraps
Diapers - adult and baby
Dresses
Gloves (generally)
Gym suits and uniforms
Hooded shirts and hooded sweatshirts
Hosiery
Jackets
Jeans
Jerseys - baseball and football
Jogging apparel
Neckwear and ties
Pajamas
Pants and trousers
Raincoats and ponchos
Robes
Shirts
Shoes - sandals, slippers, sneakers, tennis, walking
Socks (including athletic)
Shorts
Suits, slacks, and jackets
Sweatshirts
Sweat suits
Sweaters
Swimsuits
Underclothes
Work clothes and uniforms

TAXED
_________
Accessories (generally) - barrettes, elastic ponytail holders, wallets, watches
Backpacks - unless for use by elementary and secondary students
Baseball cleats and pants
Belt buckles (without belt)
Boots - climbing, fishing, rubber work boots, ski, waders
Buttons and zippers
Cloth and lace, knitting yarns, and other fabrics
Dry cleaning services
Football pants
Golf gloves
Handbags and purses
Handkerchiefs
Hard hats
Helmets - bike, baseball, football, hockey, motorcycle, sports
Ice skates
Jewelry
Laundering services
Leather goods - except belts with buckles and wearing apparel
Pads - football, hockey, soccer, elbow, knee, shoulder
Personal flotation devices
Rented clothing (including uniforms, formal wear, and costumes)
Roller blades and skates
Safety clothing, glasses
Shoes - bicycle (cleated), bowling, golf

Old 08-22-2008, 08:23 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,257 times
In Austin it is 8.25%....

I tried to get a new scanner but the clerk wouldn't let me. oh well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products